2,311 Reviews
 (1,849)

5.0 out of 5 stars Viva la revolution
Soon to be a major film series. Something I found out after reading the first one. I can see it being a good film, although reading up on that and the books more, it seems this series is less of a hit with the male population - on the premise that this book mentions romance.

So, to clarify. I'm a man. I'm not young adult, and I'm not one for reading romance...
Published on 11 Oct 2011 by simon211175

3.0 out of 5 stars Still entertaining, but not as good as the first book.
Having survived the Hunger Games, Katniss Everdeen is back home in Sector 12, not looking forward to her role as a mentor for the next year's games. She is surprised to hear rumours that her defiance of the Capitol and President Snow during the Games has sparked unrest and even discord in other sectors. When she and her co-winner, Peeta, conduct a tour of the districts,...
Published on 19 May 2011 by A. Whitehead

‹ Previous | 1207 208 209232 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A real page turner, 13 May 2012
i could not put this book down. I loved the twilight series of books and this is written in the same way. the actual story is horrific but as it is written for young adults it is a softer read. I'm now on the 3rd book in the series and again i can't put it down.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hunger games, 12 May 2012
Awesome book I
Couldn't put it down really enjoyed Had it read within 2 days... Would recommend it to anyone

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but not as good as the first, 12 May 2012
This review is from: Catching Fire (Kindle Edition)
A good read with a but.... this really felt like the middle book of a trilogy (which it is but doesn't mean it should read as such). It picks up more or less where the first left off and having already started the third it's the place holder for the second. I understand why they were split as they are but it doesn't make for a great (it's still good) read in the second installment. The first half of the book is rather introspective and a "what happened next" before the latter half picks up pace again and is almost a completely different book with its action and fast paced narrative.

Yes it ticks the boxes, yes it answers some of the things from book 1 and leaves you wanting to read book 3 but it wasn't as good as the first simply because it didn't feel as though it could have been read as a standalone book in its own rights.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great read for Y6 children and Y7&8, 10 May 2012
This series is great to hook young children into the idea of what political systems can look like - many discussion points regarding alternative points of view and different ways of responding to choices. Clearly this will turn into a computer game, or many, but could also be used by teachers to look at our political system.
Cant compare to HP on the quality of writing but the pace is fast and the characters develop well even though the reader was not allowed to understand the motives of the enigmatic Coin who was killed on the assumption of evil. What do we think of execution without trial - potential for another volume to air ideas about war crimes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just as brilliant as the first, The chapter in Katmiss Everdeen's adventure!, 9 May 2012
Sam (South England) - See all my reviews
As I said in the title, this book is just as amazing as the first one. Its fast pace and excellent characterisation meant I read the book in just a few days. The book picks up a short while after the events of book one and is just as action packed. One thing I particularly liked about the book is how Collins uses characterisation. She introduced us to her characters in book one and in Catching Fire takes us below the surface and we really get to know Katmiss Peeta and all the others. The story itself is full of plot twists and has an excellent writing style that flows really well.

If you've read book one, you need to read this one! and if you haven't go back and pick up the hunger games! They're amazing!

5.0 out of 5 stars Hunger games - catching fire, 8 May 2012
This review is from: Catching Fire (Kindle Edition)
As a second book in a series, I didn't think anything could be quite as good as the first book in this trilogy. I was wrong! I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I was gripped from the beginning to the very end. Couldn't wait to read Mockingjay after this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Much better than the first, 8 May 2012
I was drawn to the trilogy based on the publicity for the film and wanted to read them before seeing the movies.

First of all I found "The Hunger Games" very predictable and a little sickly in places, I was reluctant to begin this installment based on the fact I thought it was boring and clutching at straws to send her back into the games. I couldn't have been more wrong.

"Catching Fire" was gripping, unpredictable and exciting, so much so that I read half of the book in an evening. I was left rooting for Katniss, and enthralled with the plot.

If you, like me, didn't really get the first book, I highly recommend continuing as I feel "Catching Fire" is a credit in its own right.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thrilling, 6 May 2012
After reading, and loving the first book, The Hunger Games, I awaited this one with dread and anticipation, as sequels never seem to live up to the first ones. This is different, it is still very exciting and packs lots of punches and also is as well written as the first in that again I found myself experiencing what they were going through. The characters being so likeable is one thing I love about this series. Catching Fire does not focus so much on the Games themselves more the build up and the lives of Katniss and Peeta and everyone else that is involved which only enhances the power this book holds and I cannot wait to read Mockingjay. Again this is another must read.

4.0 out of 5 stars a Book you can burn through in a few days, 6 May 2012
This review is from: Catching Fire (Kindle Edition)
well, I think 4 stars is fair for Catching Fire. Fast paced from the outset, as all the real character building has been done in The Hunger Games. and for the same reason also a slightly more involved story.
If you push people down long enough, eventually they will spring back, and after 75 years of being pushed down by the capital, all of the districts have begun to spring back thanks to a girl who just wanted to survive the first book.
well that's as close to a spoiler as I'm going to give. the book fits in as a good middle point in the trilogy, dark in a lot of places, light in somewhat fewer places, but a good build up to the conclusion that will come in Mockingjay

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible, 5 May 2012
I'v read this book several times and I LOVED it, the writing is amazing and you can completely connect with the characters story. There is drama but it keeps to an unreal reality as strange as that sounds. I know that some people have compared it to Twilight but I really don't see the connection, the characters in the Hunger Games trilogy are so much stronger, they bring a real danger and feel for live and survival into the story, Twilight is more a chick-flick but in a book.
Please review yourself to give a wider range of opinions.

‹ Previous | 1207 208 209232 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xa9d12600)

Catching Fire (Hunger Games Trilogy)
Catching Fire (Hunger Games Trilogy) by Suzanne Collins (Paperback - 3 Oct 2013)
3.85