Format: Paperback|Change

on 14 July 2009
I've read all of Ally Kennen's teen novels and they just get better and better. When Lexi is forced to stay with her mother and her mother's sleazy boyfriend in their boring village, she thinks she will go nuts. But when she gets into serious trouble in the local woods, a mysterious figure comes to her rescue. Who is this boy and why is he so scared to show his face? Lexi has uncovered a secret that could tear the whole community apart. A funny, pacy and nail-biting thriller that will keep you gripped from page to page.
on 4 May 2012
I picked out this book from my local library, expecting a light, quick read which was decent, but not great.
However i was pleasantly surprised by this book; it has alot more substance and plot to it. The blurb was what caught my eye: "When they closed the asylum, they thought everyone had left." From that i was expecting horror, while the first few pages led me to beleive that it was one of those angsty teenage girl diary books.
But really it was a very enjoyable read. The plot was great, with enigmas and excitements. The main character was likeable and those around her were real, flawed people. Some characters seemed at first just fillers for the story, but actually turned out to be part of the revelations at the end, which i liked. The dramatic events encaptured me, and i really was creeped out at one part when reading alone in my dark house.
I've given it four stars as i'm not sure how good it would be a second time round, since i know the events of the plot. It's a pleasing read but i'm glad i got it from the library and didn't buy it, purely because i don't think it's one of those books that i'd read again and again.
Also, because of the plot, i'm guessing the animal on the front is a dog, but annoyingly, it looks like a seal to me...
on 3 March 2014
An enjoyable romance-ish with suspense at every turn. It is a great read like the rest of Kennen's work. I have read through Ally Kennen's books a few times as I enjoy them so much and may go on to read them a couple more.
on 12 November 2013
my 15 daughter is a reluctant reader but this author has gripped her imagination, got four title by him so far
on 10 March 2016
Nice book, I enjoyed the story but I did get angry with the character a bit lol
on 29 June 2009
The plot to this book is actually quite good and thought out. It's about a girl named Lexi Juby (recognise her from other works by the same author?) who has to go live with her mother for a while. Dogs keep dissapearing and when looking for her mothers dog she finds an old abandoned asylum in the woods, but not everyone left when it closed down.

It's an interesting read, very fast and quick entertainment but nothing special. One thing that really bugged me about the writing was there was so much detail about lexi's hygeine workouts and everything that basically makes her a girl. It's almost as if Ally Kennen went overboard when narrating as a girl as her previous books have been narrated by boys.