Format: Hardcover|Change

VINE VOICEon 1 September 2008
Stick Man is an inspired and engaging character (descended I am sure from the cave-stick-man my children and I loved in The Gruffalo's Child). A stick is universally popular with small children so a little living stick couldn't fail to appeal to them. Stick Man's adventures mirror the many things for which children use their sticks. Mistaken for an ordinary stick, Stick Man is thrown to a dog, used as a Pooh-stick, put on a sandcastle as a flag, amongst other things, each time travelling further and further from his family tree. How will he get home?
Although the first half of the book is in bright sunshine colours, the winter kicks in and we have a sad shivering Stick Man and snowy pages. Stick Man ends up in the grate (a brief scary moment for the child listener!) but luckily, Santa descends and there's a happy Christmas-time ending: it's a perfect Xmas present for preschoolers.
The story is told with Donaldson's trademark rollicking rhythm and rhyme, and catchy repetitive phrases children love to join in with. Scheffler's bold illustrations are bursting with approachable large-eyed characters and a wry humour (my children loved the Gruffalo-bauble of the Christmas tree) making this another fine and warm-hearted cracker from this magical duo.
33 comments|173 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon 16 October 2008
Yet again, Julia Donaldson has written a wonderful tale about Stick Man and his adventures. I love the way her stories rhyme in a fast paced way which delights both me and my 7 year old son. Even my 10 year old son loved to have the story read to him.

The book is beautifully illustrated with attention to detail which always makes it a refreshing read for children.

The story has a Christmas theme twist at the end which is truly delightful.

I would recommend this book as a gift, it will be thoroughly enjoyed!
on 26 October 2013
Click Man lives in the family house
With his Click Daughter Jess and his Click Lady Spouse

One day he goes shopping but not in a shop
Just tapping and clicking upon a laptop.

He searches for Jessie a story for bed:
An ode that may help to lay down her sweet head.

She likes "Each Peach Pear Plum" and loves "Goodnight Moon"
But what else might spin up a verbal cocoon?

The Gruffalo stories were quite a success.
Could others of that ilk anaesthetise Jess?

Researching this author he comes across one
That features a Stick Man, a girl and a swan.

A click "add to basket", a click to checkout
A click on card payment confirms there's no doubt.

Then after a few days the chug of a van
A door slam then footsteps - it's Doug the Postman!

A rustle, a tussle, an opening sack
An up-swinging letterbox, clickety-clack
A shove and a push, a squeeze through the slat...
Then down falls an object - it lands on the mat.

Click Man arrives with a hop and a skip
He picks up the packet and tears down the strip
Then unfolds the cardboard with practiced technique
And flicks the book's pages to have a sneak peek.

The pictures are perfect, the rhymes are just right
The narrative flawless - a simple delight.

That evening the story's recited to Jess
She's entranced and transfixed - an untold success!

But who'd tap a sequel so more people knew?
I'm Click Man, I'm Click Man
I'M CLICK MAN, that's who!
And I'm clicking right here on a 5-star review.
55 comments|54 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 7 October 2008
We've had this book for almost three weeks. I've read it to my two and a half year old son approximately 56 times. I've been woken up with the book on my head. I've found him sat outside the toilet with the book in wait. If anybody asks I am now Stick Man, Stick Man that's me!
Still, at least Tiddler can have a break from being late.
Story is as rich as all of Julia's and the artwork seems to have reached a new level. If Charlie Cook ever got hold of this he'd have a new favourite.
11 comment|234 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 December 2008
I felt compelled to review this book because my 4 year old boy loves it so much. Since we discovered "Room on the Broom" 5 years ago with our daughter we have always read and loved JD/AS books in our house. "Snail and the Whale" being another favourite. I can't explain why he loves this book so much (other than the catchy repetitive text and typically beautiful and descriptive pictures)but he insists on having it read to him every night and then reads it himself (well- tries to) and brings it in our room first thing in the morning to be read again! DEEP JOY....
on 25 October 2008
My 4 yr old daughter BEGGED me for this after someone brought into her school. She cries and laughs every time and loves the details in the pictures. Can't think of a book that has ever captured her imagination so much. She is very worried when I prepare the fire....
on 20 November 2008
Stick Man is a fantastic book which my 2 girls who are 7 and 4 and I love. It flows really well (something I didn't find with Tiddler) and the story is just great. This probably now equals Snail and the Whale as one of my favourite kids books ever.
on 12 August 2009
I think I liked just as much as my daughter! The alliteration is as good as in the rest of the books, and it never gets boring! The illustrations are as excellent as ever, and the suspense in the story is also there. Keep them coming!
Storyline - Stick man goes for a jog one day and on his journey he visits many places e.g. a beach, park and river where he comes across danger The story is based upon what the stick man could be used as e.g. a throwing stick for a dog or a bow or a pen. Towards the end it’s Christmas and snows, then the stick man is reunited with his family in their tree.

Purchased as it was on my reading list for my Teaching training course at university specialising in early years. It has been an invaluable resources for use in the early years classroom on teaching placements. As with this well respected and loved children's author, Julia Donaldson, this is a great book with a good story line. It is so versatile and can be enjoyed by many ages. It is really easy to engage with as there are so many possible themes in the story about not only the festive season, christmas, but with having loving family, emotions, safety, nature/forest school (sticks) and also about using items for their purpose.

This book can be used a stimulus for many activities or discussion points including:- encouraging the use of rhyming words/strings; creating items using sticks; the importance of family, relationships and love which could lead onto 'how am i special' and 'who is special to me'; emotions, in particular recognizing the changing emotions throughout; learning about possible dangers of the world and understanding how scary it could be to be lost or away from family. The CD is a great added extra and can be used to entice the children into the story. It would be great to be used in the car along with other Julia Donaldson stories.
Would recommend to any early years teacher or parent.

Equally good books of Julia Donaldsons include:-
The Snail and the Whale Book and CD Pack (Book & CD)
Tiddler book and CD
on 8 August 2009
This was given to my 4 year old last Christmas and he hasn't let me put it away with all the other Christmas books. We have to read it at least once a week so it's obviously a great hit with him.

Really nice story, great illustrations and use of colour. Well worth buying.