5.0 out of 5 stars Must read

3.0 out of 5 stars Not well written and consequently unconvincing
Published 6 months ago by hickalum

5.0 out of 5 stars Must read, 28 Jan. 2012
Kim Martin "KimM" (England) - See all my reviews
These books are being touted as "the new Twilight" but I can tell you that they are nothing like Twilight (& this is from a Twilight fan). All three books start off quite slow but really take off around half way through and you won't want to put them down until you've finished it !! A little gory in places and the main female character is sometimes unlikeable (see I told you nothing like Twilight !!) but they are an excellent read & I would highly recommend them. Best to buy the set, as once you've read the first book, you'll want to read the others, so makes sense to buy them all at once.

5.0 out of 5 stars A series that needed to be written?, 2 April 2012
Amy (Nottingham) - See all my reviews
Suzanne Collins has said that she wrote 'The Hunger Games' series to condemn 'reality TV and the Iraq war' and I,as a reader, believe that she has succeeded in her aim. 'The Hunger Games' is a televised competition broadcast across the country of Panem, (a North America of the far future made up of thirteen districts) where a boy and a girl from each 'district' is selected each year to fight to the death in an arena until only one person survives. This synopsis may sound brutal and horrific, and to a great extent it really is, but it also shows us how the power of human nature can fight back from such atrocities. The main protagonist, Katniss Everdeen, who volunteers for the Games so that her sister does not have to take part, is a particularly flawed character and yet this helps to give her the appealing persona that she has. She is first and foremost a fighter and a hunter, but her struggles with her own personal emotions show signs of vulnerability in her personality, something which I believe is needed in order to make her a more rounded character. The 'love-triangle' in the series does at times get a little bit tedious and irritating- there are certain points where the reader will think, 'For goodness sake, just choose!' however this is by no means the main plot line to the novel, but instead an underlying one. Peeta, the boy who is selected to fight with (and indeed against) her is, as Collins describes in 'Mockingjay' the final book in the trilogy, 'the dandelion in the spring'; the character who helps to keep the fiery Katniss grounded when no-one else can. His character compliments Katniss' (even though at times she is really quite awful to him!!). Gale, the third member of this 'triangle' is more like Katniss in temperament- he is fiery and hot-headed- which makes the reader see why Katniss feels so at ease in his company.
The condemnation of reality TV comes in with the reactions of the people across Panem towards the events shown on the programme- they appear to be delighted and enthralled by the bloodbath which commences, and rejoice when the people at the Capitol control and manipulate the arena to create deadly obstacles for the tributes (players) to face. However, we also see the reactions of the families of the tributes to several of the deaths, showing that in fact, the majority of people are appalled by such events.
I do believe that these books deserve a five-star rating, despite their flaws. The main issue I had with this series however was the last 50 pages of 'Mockingjay'. Yes, I was happy with the conclusion, but I felt that it was somewhat rushed and that the fate of Katniss came down to events of coincidence and chance rather than those of choice on her part (you will see what I mean when you read it) which was a little bit disappointing. However, I think that these books are an absolute must-read (for adults as well as teenagers!) and that they will be remembered for many years to come.

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant for the most part!, 15 April 2012
oldstuff (Cheshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
As an adult, I still enjoy reading literature that can be appreciated by both children and the older generations alike. I would include the "His Dark Materials" trilogy in that group and now I would also add the Hunger Games books. The characters are well-written, believable and the interaction is never stifled unless its intended to be. The comparisons with other books and movies in terms of the games themselves have already been commented on but its not the games that gripped me. It was by the end of book three, the choices and decisions being made about the war struck home and they were never wrapped up in fluffy words with a complete hollywood ending. Popular characters were killed off, the grief of those left was laid bare to see and I found myself going over and over some of the arguments in the books and comparing them to what is happening in the world around us. I mentioned the Philip Pullman books earlier as they had a similar effect so I must congratulate Suzanne Collins on writing books that are certainly far scarier and graphic than the likes of the Harry Potter books but also have a far more worthwhile message to say or perhaps question to ask the reader. Completely recommended!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not well written and consequently unconvincing, 30 Dec. 2014
A ripping yarn and great page turner but unfortunately not well written. It is written in the first person as a teenage girl who was brought up in extreme poverty but pretty soon, for example, she is talking about 'taking a shower' when she has never even seen a shower in her whole life. There are many such examples where she just does not talk like the person she is supposed to be. And neither does she consistently talk like a teenage girl. Sometimes very much so but other times not. It is perfectly possible to write extensively as the character being portrayed. Read the astonishing 'A Tale for the Time Being' for example; at least half of it is written as a teenage girl and utterly authentic in the style and language a teenage girl would use. But I would concede that some readers might not be bothered by this.
Another much bigger problem though, possibly because it is poorly written, is that the juxtaposition of extreme vanity with extreme savagery totally lacks credibility. I know it is fantasy, but there are many fantasy writers out there, such as Philip Pullman or Neil Gaiman, who are utterly convincing.
But The Hunger Games is redeemed because it is a great story and because it gets better with each book in the trilogy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not quite as good as I was hoping, 9 Mar. 2011
Cat R - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I'd heard a lot of good things about these books, and being a fan of post-apocalyptic fiction in general, I decided to give them a go. I don't regret this, exactly, but they weren't exactly what I was expecting.

The first book follows our main character, Katniss, as she participates in The Hunger Games - an annual event in which a group of randomly selected young people have to fight to the death in an arena. The young people are selected from twelve poor Districts (two from each) surrounding a wealthy capital - of course, it's the rich people in the capital who are entertained by the poor kids fighting it out. The whole event is televised for the entire nation to watch. The second two books follow on directly from The Hunger Games, and examine the aftermath of the events portrayed therein, ultimately leading to an attempt at revolution from the Districts.

These books can be read on quite a shallow level as a simple adventure story, but there is a not very subtle attempt at examining what it means to be human and compassionate, how wealth and power can change you, and what sparks a revolution (and what is required to keep it going). The books are well-paced and fraught with tension - I read the lot in about three days flat, and could hardly bear to put them down.

The loss of a star comes from two things: the writing, and the main protagonist. The writing is, for the most part, very straight-forward and not particularly adventurous or descriptive. The reasons for this are clear (the story is told from Katniss' perspective, and for much of her life she has been too focussed on survival to be able to be highly imaginative), but at times it does feel stilted and overly simple. The main protagonist, Katniss, is not always likeable - but the problem is more that she is billed as a fairly intelligent young person, but seems completely oblivious, even stupid, when it comes to certain areas.

All in all, though, the books are an excellent read and well worth checking out, whether you are a member of the intended teenage audience or not.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 7 Feb. 2012
Absolutely brilliant read. Could not stop reading from the first page, I finished all three books within a week and would recommend to anyone.

2.0 out of 5 stars Strong writing, poor ending, 27 Dec. 2014
This review is from: The Hunger Games Trilogy (Paperback)
While I haven't bought this item, I've read the trilogy. I must say, if I could read it again freshly, I would tell myself to read the first book. While the writing is beautiful, and the premise is ground-breaking, the plot is rather weak overall. The first book, The Hunger Games, is amazing - I read it in a single night and would rate it 5 stars. The second, Catching Fire, is equally as impressive, but the third book, Mockingjay, lets the entire series down in a series of increasingly poor chapters. While I will spoil nothing, the end is very weak, as if Collins couldn't think how to end it and hoped that if she ended it quickly enough, no-one would notice. The worst part is that Catching Fire ends on a heavy cliffhanger, leading on to Mockingjay and leaving a sense of emptiness if you stop there.

In conclusion, read the first book and stop. If you don't, you'll be as disappointed as I was.

5.0 out of 5 stars Finished in a week, 2 Mar. 2014
I got this box set after watching the second film. The books are Soooooo different. It took me a little over a week to go through all 3, my wife only wanted to read the last book after seeing the first 2 films, but I had to steal it off her when I had finished book one and two.

such an easy read and very hard to put down.
It deserves a 5 star, as it got me back into reading again. Only downside was the ending.
Yes, I was happy with the conclusion, but I felt that it was somewhat rushed and that the fate of Katniss came down to events of coincidence and chance rather than those of choice on her part. It could have easily added another book to the series.

If you pick this up, you wont out it down.

5.0 out of 5 stars the hunger games, 6 Oct. 2011
This is a lovely boxed version of the hunger games.
The story is gripping from beginning to end.
Not to be missed!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 12 Feb. 2012
I bought this series after reading it myself for my 18 year old sister. I am 20 myself and I loved them.
While the writing can be likened to Twilight in that it is fairly simple, easy to read and easy to get into, the story is far superior. I was and am an avid reader - however my sister is more of a late bloomer. She read the first book in short order and we are both looking forward to seeing the film come out next month.
This is a perfect YA book but also a great book for older readers too. Although it is set in a future dystopian world, it only really gets dark in the last book. Definitely a tear jerker but definitely educational in that it really makes you appreciate the freedom that we have now.
A wonderful book series.

The Hunger Games Trilogy
The Hunger Games Trilogy by Suzanne Collins (Paperback - 6 Sept. 2012)