5.0 out of 5 stars Another excellent Tom Gates book
It's often hard to review children's literature when you are not the target audience.

Published on 16 April 2013 by Bacchus

3.0 out of 5 stars Hilariously Funny
Review written by my 11 year old daughter "I think that Tom Gates is a hilariously funny book about all the things that Tom Gates gets up to. It is amazingly funny book. The only thing I would say is, as with all Tom Gates books, once you have read it, you know the story so well that you don't want to read it again as it otherwise can get boring after reading it a few...
Published on 23 Mar. 2013 by G. Horsham

5.0 out of 5 stars Another excellent Tom Gates book, 16 April 2013
Bacchus (Greater London - Surrey) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

I asked for this book because my daughter enjoyed another Tom Gates book. I think that L Pichon 'gets' being a primary school kid. I love all the illustrations, the doodles and the handwritten appearance of the book. Looking back at my 10 year old self, I could really relate to the Tom Gates' world.

As a Dad, I can really relate Tom Gates' father, who is nicely incompetent (but funny with it).

We really enjoyed the description of the disastrous camping trip where everything went wrong.

I think it was a success.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very witty account of the travails of a modern child with very funny cartoon illustrations, 24 Sept. 2012
Schneehase (Norfolk, UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Ok - I love it but I will admit to one reservation. It won the 'Roald Dahl Funny Prize in 2011' but is it the sort of thing that adults think children will find funny? Or will children also find this funny? After all it has been written by an adult ...
Reservation over.
This looks to me like the ideal book for a 9 - 11 year old boy. Possibly girls would like to read it to get a peek into the pre-adolescent male psyche, but I have purchased it for a 10 year old boy as that's certainly the market it's aiming for.
The book is ostensibly narrated (and illustrated) by the main character, Tom, and follows his experience of life and school, his friends, the things that concern him and the little episodes that make up every child's experience of life.
There is a good balance of cartoon drawings and writing on each page so that a semi-reluctant reader won't feel overwhelmed and it may feel like s/he is actually reading a cartoon rather than a novel.
So follow the doodles and thoughts of Tom as he and his friends prepare for the talent show at school and the debut of their band, Dogzombies ... and enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Attractive mix of text and drawings full of warmth and humour..., 20 Oct. 2012
Stuart Moses (Epsom, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I chose this book for my seven-year-old son, who would prefer running around playing games to reading. He has enjoyed this book, as has his sister who is two years older. There's an attractive mix of words and pictures, so there are never large blocks of text which might feel off-putting. The details about living in a family are well observed and I genuinely laughed at a couple of Tom's adventures. Anyone who has been to school will appreciate some of the predicaments described. These episodes reminded me of Geoffrey Willans' Molesworth (Penguin Modern Classics) books, though education standards have improved as L. Pichon's more modern book contains far better spelling. While this book is obviously aimed at children, it is also enjoyable for adults. If you read this book with your little one you'll find yourself entertained. There are a few references that only adults will get, but these never overshadow the jokes that will be understood by all. There's a warmth and good humour to this book which makes me whole-heartedly recommend it to all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny, complex diary from a quirky little character., 10 Feb. 2013
JK "J. K." (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Tom Gates 'Genius Ideas' is a diary, aimed at the 8+ market, featuring young Tom who gives us his insights into a wacky world full of things he's learning to understand and come to terms with. This is the fourth diary in the series, we have the other three, and I think it's the funniest and certainly the quirkiest. The book's small enough to break down into bite sized pieces and filled with black and white illustrations and doodles to add to the comedy factor. Although the aim of 'Genius Ideas' is fun, there's also some educational and emotional value. Not everything in Tom's world is a giggle and I enjoy those slight elements of reality that creep in around the edges and keep him real. Tom is an engaging character and one most children should identify with; girls as much as boys. The book is relatively sophisticated in reading terms. There's some complexity here which will offer a real challenge for younger children.

5.0 out of 5 stars Liz Pichon is a Genius!!!, 3 Nov. 2012
L. E. Cooper "Lindsey" (UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Wow, that is all I can say. We had the good fortune to meet Liz Pichon at a medal ceremony for the summer reading challenge and that was the first time we had come across her books.

The day this book arrived into our life my Son couldn't wait to read it and when we put it down he kept asking if we could read more and by the following day we had read it all!! Tom Gates has had a really brilliant positive effect, my Son (who is 7 by the way) thinks he's 'cool' he related to him instantly and could see himself in the character it was lovely to see. I also enjoyed the book as a parent, it opened up some interesting discussions, gave my Son some tricks to play on friends and made him look at school in a totally different way. Hats off to Liz Pichon and may she write many more! You have a life long fan!

4.0 out of 5 stars Quite funny, 6 April 2013
O E J - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The highs and lows of Tom's life are funnier and more extreme than ever in this fourth 'wicked diary' by Liz Pichon. It's aimed at readers of 8 and upwards - quite a long way upwards, to be fair! Girls should like it as much as boys.

The creative and imaginative Tom Gates is back and in this volume of his hilarious diary, he documents the ups and downs of his daily life as he deals with everything from his father's embarrassing new fitness regime to the challenges of entering his band DOGZOMBIES into the school Talent Contest - and most horrifying of all, seeing weirdo big sister Delia without her sunglasses.

My daughter (who is 10) said : "The book grips you from the first page as Tom explains what happened that morning. It's about Tom having funny, happy, embarrassing and shocking experiences as he takes you on a journey about him, his friends and his family. It's an enjoyable book that can be read in one sitting. It's kind of similar to Diary of a Wimpy Kid (which I must admit I prefer, because it's funnier) - but I have to say I liked The Brilliant World of Tom Gates a bit more than this one as it felt more original and made me laugh more. But I really enjoyed Genius Ideas, it's exciting and I was smiling on every page. The illustrations are perfect and very effective."

Existing fans and newcomers to the series will be delighted by this wickedly funny and engaging story. With plenty of Tom's scribbly illustrations, doodles and lively hand-drawn cartoons throughout, it is an appealingly visual read that will keep young readers entertained from beginning to end.

5.0 out of 5 stars Laugh out loud funny...and not too wordy, 9 Nov. 2012
A. Milne "themilnes" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is the first time that I've come across a Tom Gates book, and I wasn't quite sure what to expect. When it dropped through the letterbox I was a bit taken aback by the thickness of it...until I opened it and realised that each page is lavishly illustrated with cartoons and doodles. Panic over!

I gave this to my 8 year old son to test and within just a couple of pages he was laughing out loud. Intrigued, I sat next to him to have a look at just what was considered so funny and before long we were both laughing until we were crying and leaning on each other for support which generated quite strange looks from my other half!

This book is all about the trials and tribulations that Tom Gates has to face in his daily life. Everything from a terribly moody sister to embarrassing parents to know-it-all rivals at school...I'm sure that this book will strike a chord with a great many pre-teen boys, (and girls). The illustrations are really funny - simple but REALLY funny. They hit the nail right on the head and I'm certain that most people would struggle to read many pages of this book without at least cracking a smile.

A good thing about this book is that it isn't hugely wordy, so it may well appeal to kids that are a bit reluctant to read...but is still great and a lot of fun even for kids that do love reading. The target audience is probably around the 9-12 years range...but this adult is definitely a convert too! We'll certainly be getting the other Tom Gates books. Highly recommended!

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, Awesome, Great!, 8 April 2013
JoMaynard (UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I got this because my 9 year old was really keen to read it. As she is a bit of a reluctant (although able reader), any request has to be taken seriously.

She had seen this book get a prize on Blue Peter and was keen to read it. So much so that she got stuck straight in when it arrived. Within 24 hours she had read it, and reluctantly allowed me to borrow it to write this review.

My first impression? Well despite being quite thick, its cover seems quite user friendly. Then when you go inside the doddles and little pictures to illustrate some words, make it seem a very non-frightening book. Although it is also not confusing to read, it is easy to follow the text and not really disjointed (unlike some other books).

As a story? It reminds me of Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Cabin Fever and also Judy Moody, and is a fun story of annoying siblings, the kid you don't like at school, Teachers, and other things in a pre-teen's life. It is funny, entertaining and a good read.

My 9 year old liked the fact the book contains two other books, a flip book and a book by Tom Gates telling you how to do something. She does like getting value for money, and being told facts or how to make things.

Overall it is a good read for the pre-teens, my girl read it even though the main character is a boy. She has already requested I get another one of the series!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for nine year old boys, 8 Jan. 2013
J. Holmes - See all my reviews
This review is from: Genius Ideas (Mostly) (Tom Gates) (Paperback)
I have a nine year old son and it's really difficult to find any books that inspire him to read. However he really likes the Tom Gates books and when I gave him this latest one I was amazed to keep walking in on him sat quietly reading...TV off and ipad cast aside. Believe me this is totally out of character! He says this is his favourite book in the Tom Gates series as it has the best story lines. He read it in a week which was extremely good going by his usual standards. I will be preordering the next one as soon as it becomes available.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fab series of books for my 9 year old son, 10 Oct. 2012
Cambridge Ian (Cambridge UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I must admit I'm writing this from the perspective of a parent looking at his 9 year old laugh out loud at passages in this book.

He has literally devoured it from start to finish in 2 days and is now rereading it again. As others have said it does have a laugh on virtually every page and if I get the chance I think I will enjoy bits of it to.

He has read the earlier books in the series. Not sure if this is critical to enjoying these books but he loves them.

Enough said.

Genius Ideas (Mostly) (Tom Gates)
Genius Ideas (Mostly) (Tom Gates) by Liz Pichon (Paperback - 6 Sept. 2012)