5.0 out of 5 stars Another excellent Tom Gates book
It's often hard to review children's literature when you are not the target audience.

Published 15 months ago by Bacchus

3.0 out of 5 stars Hilariously Funny
Published 16 months ago by G. Horsham

5.0 out of 5 stars Another excellent Tom Gates book, 16 April 2013
Bacchus (Greater London - Surrey) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

I asked for this book because my daughter enjoyed another Tom Gates book. I think that L Pichon 'gets' being a primary school kid. I love all the illustrations, the doodles and the handwritten appearance of the book. Looking back at my 10 year old self, I could really relate to the Tom Gates' world.

As a Dad, I can really relate Tom Gates' father, who is nicely incompetent (but funny with it).

We really enjoyed the description of the disastrous camping trip where everything went wrong.

I think it was a success.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very witty account of the travails of a modern child with very funny cartoon illustrations, 24 Sep 2012
Meerkat (Dereham, Norfolk) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Ok - I love it but I will admit to one reservation. It won the 'Roald Dahl Funny Prize in 2011' but is it the sort of thing that adults think children will find funny? Or will children also find this funny? After all it has been written by an adult ...
Reservation over.
This looks to me like the ideal book for a 9 - 11 year old boy. Possibly girls would like to read it to get a peek into the pre-adolescent male psyche, but I have purchased it for a 10 year old boy as that's certainly the market it's aiming for.
The book is ostensibly narrated (and illustrated) by the main character, Tom, and follows his experience of life and school, his friends, the things that concern him and the little episodes that make up every child's experience of life.
There is a good balance of cartoon drawings and writing on each page so that a semi-reluctant reader won't feel overwhelmed and it may feel like s/he is actually reading a cartoon rather than a novel.
So follow the doodles and thoughts of Tom as he and his friends prepare for the talent show at school and the debut of their band, Dogzombies ... and enjoy!

4.0 out of 5 stars Quite funny, 6 April 2013
OEJ - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The highs and lows of Tom's life are funnier and more extreme than ever in this fourth 'wicked diary' by Liz Pichon. It's aimed at readers of 8 and upwards - quite a long way upwards, to be fair! Girls should like it as much as boys.

The creative and imaginative Tom Gates is back and in this volume of his hilarious diary, he documents the ups and downs of his daily life as he deals with everything from his father's embarrassing new fitness regime to the challenges of entering his band DOGZOMBIES into the school Talent Contest - and most horrifying of all, seeing weirdo big sister Delia without her sunglasses.

My daughter (who is 10) said : "The book grips you from the first page as Tom explains what happened that morning. It's about Tom having funny, happy, embarrassing and shocking experiences as he takes you on a journey about him, his friends and his family. It's an enjoyable book that can be read in one sitting. It's kind of similar to Diary of a Wimpy Kid (which I must admit I prefer, because it's funnier) - but I have to say I liked The Brilliant World of Tom Gates a bit more than this one as it felt more original and made me laugh more. But I really enjoyed Genius Ideas, it's exciting and I was smiling on every page. The illustrations are perfect and very effective."

Existing fans and newcomers to the series will be delighted by this wickedly funny and engaging story. With plenty of Tom's scribbly illustrations, doodles and lively hand-drawn cartoons throughout, it is an appealingly visual read that will keep young readers entertained from beginning to end.

3.0 out of 5 stars Hilariously Funny, 23 Mar 2013
G. Horsham (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Review written by my 11 year old daughter "I think that Tom Gates is a hilariously funny book about all the things that Tom Gates gets up to. It is amazingly funny book. The only thing I would say is, as with all Tom Gates books, once you have read it, you know the story so well that you don't want to read it again as it otherwise can get boring after reading it a few times."

4.0 out of 5 stars Great idea for boys - especially those who don't read novels., 10 Feb 2013
JK "Julie K." (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The market for Genius Ideas certainly has to be 9-11 year old boys. It's great that boys have a series of books just for them. Anything we can do to help them pick up a book instead of a games console has to be a good idea. Not sure girls will enjoy the book unless they want a glimpse at what's going on inside the mind of a male sibling or friend...perhaps best not to look!!!

Genuine Ideas is supposedly the tale of Tom, told in his own words, as he battles his way through the complex world of school, home, parents, friends and all the usual conundrums facing children of a similar age. The book's written in sharp, choppy sections with a lot of emphasis on the visual, ie. cartoons/sketches/doodles (all black and white) to highlight the humour.

That's a concept which works well on another, maybe unexpected, level: children who feel daunted by the idea of reading a full length novel will find Tom Gates much less formidable because it's not just a wall of words.

Emphasis is absolutely on humour but; there are plenty of differnt themes to keep things interesting. My nephew, reluctant at first, has now admitted he thought Genius Ideas was great. I'd certainly buy more in this series and there's plenty of choice:-

The Brilliant World of Tom Gates
Tom Gates is Absolutely Fantastic (at some things)
Excellent Excuses (And Other Good Stuff) (Tom Gates)
Best Book Day Ever!(so far) (Tom Gates)
Everything's Amazing (sort of) (Tom Gates)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for nine year old boys, 8 Jan 2013
J. Holmes - See all my reviews
This review is from: Genius Ideas (Mostly) (Tom Gates) (Paperback)
I have a nine year old son and it's really difficult to find any books that inspire him to read. However he really likes the Tom Gates books and when I gave him this latest one I was amazed to keep walking in on him sat quietly reading...TV off and ipad cast aside. Believe me this is totally out of character! He says this is his favourite book in the Tom Gates series as it has the best story lines. He read it in a week which was extremely good going by his usual standards. I will be preordering the next one as soon as it becomes available.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tom gates, 6 Nov 2012
This review is from: Genius Ideas (Mostly) (Tom Gates) (Paperback)
My 11 year old son loves Tom gates and has read every book. I think it's an easy read after a busy school day and makes him laugh. It was delivered the day it was released - good service

5.0 out of 5 stars Liz Pichon is a Genius!!!, 3 Nov 2012
L. E. Cooper "Lindsey" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Wow, that is all I can say. We had the good fortune to meet Liz Pichon at a medal ceremony for the summer reading challenge and that was the first time we had come across her books.

The day this book arrived into our life my Son couldn't wait to read it and when we put it down he kept asking if we could read more and by the following day we had read it all!! Tom Gates has had a really brilliant positive effect, my Son (who is 7 by the way) thinks he's 'cool' he related to him instantly and could see himself in the character it was lovely to see. I also enjoyed the book as a parent, it opened up some interesting discussions, gave my Son some tricks to play on friends and made him look at school in a totally different way. Hats off to Liz Pichon and may she write many more! You have a life long fan!

5.0 out of 5 stars Attractive mix of text and drawings full of warmth and humour..., 20 Oct 2012
S. P. Moses (Epsom, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I chose this book for my seven-year-old son, who would prefer running around playing games to reading. He has enjoyed this book, as has his sister who is two years older. There's an attractive mix of words and pictures, so there are never large blocks of text which might feel off-putting. The details about living in a family are well observed and I genuinely laughed at a couple of Tom's adventures. Anyone who has been to school will appreciate some of the predicaments described. These episodes reminded me of Geoffrey Willans' Molesworth (Penguin Modern Classics) books, though education standards have improved as L. Pichon's more modern book contains far better spelling. While this book is obviously aimed at children, it is also enjoyable for adults. If you read this book with your little one you'll find yourself entertained. There are a few references that only adults will get, but these never overshadow the jokes that will be understood by all. There's a warmth and good humour to this book which makes me whole-heartedly recommend it to all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fab series of books for my 9 year old son, 10 Oct 2012
Cambridge Ian (Cambridge UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I must admit I'm writing this from the perspective of a parent looking at his 9 year old laugh out loud at passages in this book.

He has literally devoured it from start to finish in 2 days and is now rereading it again. As others have said it does have a laugh on virtually every page and if I get the chance I think I will enjoy bits of it to.

He has read the earlier books in the series. Not sure if this is critical to enjoying these books but he loves them.

Enough said.

Genius Ideas (Mostly) (Tom Gates)
Genius Ideas (Mostly) (Tom Gates) by Liz Pichon (Paperback - 6 Sep 2012)
3.85