5.0 out of 5 stars Angelic Consumerism

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Angelic Consumerism, 25 April 2012
Bea Turvey (Oxfordshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Immortal City (Paperback)
When Angels fail: Consumerism, greed, the pull of power and fame... who thought Angels would succumb to the human ideal of the 20th century. Their angelic persuasions and unselfish pursuits are tested when they reveal themselves to the human populace. Tested - and fail triumphantly. Instead of exerting their pious influence on humans they buy into the plastic dream and become richer, bigger, and more famous. Their immortal powers and life-saving abilities become commodities. Okay, I know I'm going on about this aspect a little too much but it is crucial to the story - Angels are far too susceptible to human dreams and desires. But they don't see it that way. Like all powerful people their spin doctors have justified every aspect. But one girl, a pitiful human, doesn't buy into the hype. When she and Jacks meet love beckons and sparks fly but their differences in lifestyle and opinions clash. Then angels start dying and it looks like Jacks is next on the hit list.
I really enjoyed this book and hope there's a sequel. Romance, superpowers, angels and suspense - a recipe made for me.

3.0 out of 5 stars Immortal City, 11 April 2012
This review is from: Immortal City (Paperback)
I'd heard about this book prior to publication and really loved the idea of angels living amongst humans and being given celebrity status. What a cool idea! The angels act as guardians to those who can pay for protection or those who are lucky enough to be gifted with a guardian. I really liked the way that Scott Speer discussed the culture of celebrity status through the role of the angels with them being placed on pedestals and worshipped because they happen to be in the public eye and are rich and privileged. It was also refreshing to read an angel book where the angels are actually out in the open and not a big secret. All in all, I thought it was a unique and interesting spin on the traditional angel story.

This is actually Scott Speer's debut novel and has already been optioned for television development by the producers of Gossip Girl and The Vampire Diaries. So we may soon be seeing angels on the small screen!

The two main characters, Maddy and Jackson Godspeed, offer alternating third person narratives and I enjoyed getting to see events through their eyes. I really liked the character of Maddy who is down to earth and sensible, until she begins to lose her head over Jackson. She doesn't have as privileged a lifestyle as some of the other teens at her school but she never complains and always seems to take things in her stride. It took me longer to warm up to Jacks but he had grown on me by the end of the book. On the other hand, I felt that Maddy's other friend Ethan was a bit underdeveloped and at times seemed too much on the periphery. He does have an important part to play in the story but I would have liked to have seen his motivations explored a little more.

The story started slowly but the action picked up from the middle of the book and the ending was brilliant. The plot was entertaining and engaging and sucked me in as it progressed with it's equal measures of romance, action and adventure.

I'm looking forward to seeing how Maddy will cope with the hand that fate's dealt her in the next in the Immortal City trilogy.

4.0 out of 5 stars An A Lister in the Angel Realm of YA, 31 Oct. 2012
Emma @ Book Angel Booktopia (Wales) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Immortal City (Paperback)
When I first started reading this book I have to be honest and say I wasn't sure if I was going to like it; the idea that angels were materialistic and lives would only be saved based on price was such an alien notion for me. Being an angel girl this was something I had to work against and initially this concept was very difficult to come to terms with. Thank goodness for Jackson Godspeed *swoon* although he is the superstar of the new Guardian Angels; under all the glitz and glamour you can see his innate goodness shining through. Jackson is the epitome of a `real' angel. However, he has been raised and essentially manipulated into this new era of guardian angels for money.

The background story of the angels was very well developed and believable. Essentially the idea that everyone can be corrupted by the quest for power is the driving force of the narrative. There is still a great deal to be discovered in relation to the inner workings of the council of angels. Especially who can be trusted and what direction the future of the guardianship should take.

The plot is multi-layered making the third person narration essential; combining romance, the battle of good versus evil on many levels along with the power of revenge to make an entertaining paranormal thrill-mance (thanks Catnip Books). Add in some very intense action and you have one heck of a gripping storyline.

The world Scott Speer creates is intense and easy to picture akin to the A-Listers in Hollywood - the angels being the elite in society. Groomed to be in the public eye, constantly hounded by the media yet indulged beyond belief. Scott Speer's background as a music video director certainly enabled the vivid portrayal of the inside world of the rich and famous with unnerving accuracy. The way in which the lifestyle can also affect personality reflects the nature versus nurture debate - are some people essentially shallow, narcissistic and entitled or have they been turned into these things because of this lifestyle. The divide in society, the haves and have-nots was clearly shown.

While there are a number of characters focalized within the narrative, it is unequivocally Jackson and Maddy that steal the show. It is their connection that really made the book for me. It all about the romance

The are a myriad of plot twists which took me by surprise, adding to the compelling nature of the story overall. The outstanding plot threads ensure a tantalizing trail in anticipation of the next book.

After my initial struggle with the portrayal of angels in this manner I have to say I really enjoyed Immortal City. Immortal City is something completely different in the angel realm of YA combining elements of paranormal romance with an action packed thriller hence the paranormal thrill-mance

5.0 out of 5 stars Angels and Celebrities!, 23 April 2012
This review is from: Immortal City (Paperback)
I read about this on one of my favorite book blogs and I knew I just had to get it -- even though the last angel book I read was a little lame and I was sceptical of some others, this one just sounded too good. And I wasn't disappointed - I loved Immortal City! It really draws you into an exciting world where angels are celebrities and save for money, but there's a dark twist... Highly recommend!

4.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant, brilliant debut set in a stunning world I can't wait to dive back into!, 19 April 2012
4¼ Out of 5
You have the money? You have their Protection.
Los Angeles, Angel City, Immortal City. Angels walk among humans as Protectors, saving those rich enough to afford their protection.
Jackson Godspeed is the hottest, most talented and loved Angel in the city, just days away from achieving his dream of becoming a Guardian.
Maddy Montgomery seems to be the only one who isn't completely obsessed with the Angels. But after a chance meeting with Jacks in her uncle's diner, a bond strikes between them as they find themselves inexplicably drawn together.
But there's someone out there, brutally killing Angels. And Jacks is next...
All is not as it seems in the Immortal City.
I was feeling ill and couldn't bring myself to concentrate on one book, so I randomly started picking books up to read the first chapter. I did this many times. Until Immortal City. I started reading and then was like: "Oh my God! Angels walking around in Gucci protecting for money? Must keep reading!" The rest of the book did not disappoint!
Maddy was really down-to-earth, modest and just an average human girl. I loved her stubbornness, how real and relatable she felt. Also, the visions she got were awesome! Horrible, but still awesome. And her insecurities made her even more relatable and I liked it when she stuck up for herself; but I didn't like that she stuck up for herself and then went back to being insecure... Though Viv was pretty intimidating... But really, Maddy rocked!
Jacks... Well, yum! He was just so sweet, and I loved the hidden side of him, the more insecure and human side. And... he was just so cute! And stubborn. And did I mention he was cute? Gallant, chivalrous, brave, dedicated, amazing, wonderful... I am so Angelstruck!
I really loved Maddy and Jacks' relationship. Although it wasn't exactly love at first sight, it was pretty close. But it worked. Each had a reason to like the other when they met. I could feel the chemistry. Plus they were just so cute; I loved them together!
The other characters were great and just as 3D. A few of my favorites were the sweet and sincere Uncle Kevin, the Angel-addict and hilarious Gwen, the cop Sylvester, who was brilliant and had a secret of his own, and Jacks' PA Darcy; a Blackberry-addict I found brilliant and really funny.
I loved this world! I mean, Angels as celebs? Protecting for money? With awesome wings, really glamorous parties, Angel blogs and televised Saves... it was all so new to me! And I really liked that the Angels weren't all that angelic: they had flaws that made them feel human. The sense of mystery about where they came from and the darker side of the Immortals was amazing! And I loved the parody to the celeb world. It was a really super and clever idea from Scott. One that worked brilliantly and made me think about our own society... Seriously: More please!
The writing was amazing: I loved the feel of it, the style, even though it was in third person, my least favorite. Though ol' third is growing on me! I loved that it jumped from Maddy to Jacks, letting us see what was going on in both if their heads and feel what they felt. I also liked the time we spent in Officer Sylvester's head: what can I say, I love the crime novels! However, all the jumping could be a little confusing. But other than that; perfect! The plot was awesome - and unexpected! I was expecting just a love story, but I got so much more! I got a mystery too! I love mysteries! So it was ever so excellent to find out that there was a murder to solve! Ok, just read how sick and twisted that sounded, so ignore it please. But seriously, amazing. Full of twists and turns with a non-stop pace, Immortal City was an addictive read I just zoomed through.
A hot, powerful Angel, a normal girl who couldn't care less, a series of brutal Angel murders and a forbidden love story, Immortal City was an awesome book that sucked me in from the word go. A brilliant, brilliant debut set in a stunning world I can't wait to dive back into! Speer is an author to look out for!
I. NEED. BOOK. TWO. NOW!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great new take on angels, 13 July 2014
4.5/5

I loved loved loved this book!! I love the world that the author has created. This is like no other angel book I have ever read. Action-packed and with a romance that will leave you breathless, this book is a must read!

The angels have landed and they are everywhere. Since they made themselves know 100 years ago, their status on earth has rocketed up the social ladder and they are now the biggest celebrities around. The used to protect because they could, but all that's changed and now they charge people for their services. I loved the idea behind the angels and their greedy nature. If angels did actually exist and made themselves know I could totally see them being just as the author has described in the book. We live in money-hungry, fame-obsessed world so why wouldn't the angels want a part of this? It was a new and fresh change from all the angel lore that is out there.

Maddy and Jackson I loved. I loved that Maddy wasn't obsessed with the angel craze as everyone else is. She seemed to be a fairly level-headed person, and knew what she wanted in live. She is completely unfazed by the whole thing and doesn't want anything to do with the angels. That is until Jackson steps into her life. Jackson I LOVED! He is the hottest angel around and so he is THE biggest celebrity out there. He has fame, fortune, and is used to getting what he wants and to people not saying no to him. But then he meets Maddy and he is left shaken by this stubborn girl. She intrigues him as she doesn't want anything to do with him and so he sets out to woo her. What he slowly comes to realize is is that not everyone falls for the glitz and glam. I loved seeing him grow and watch him learn that there is more to being an angel than the money. That angels were once better than that. Everything he has ever believed in is questioned. I loved the relationship between him and Maddy. It was a bit insta-love but not in an annoying way. It was very believable and I can't wait to see where it will go in book 2.
The book is action packed. There is a serial killer on the loose who is cutting off angels wings and killing them. When we find out who the killer is I was like WHAT?!?! Get out!! I so did not see that coming! You are left guessing who it could be and then when we do it's such a shocker that you will be left wondering if you did actually read that. Props to the author for creating such a climax!

Now the only reason I didn't give this 5 stars has to do with the narration. It is in 3rd person and is told mainly from Maddy's POV but we do get glimpses of Jacksons POV and then one or two others. Now that is all well and good, I felt that we got a better idea of what was going on and got to see the bigger picture. But sometimes during one persons POV we get little snippets of the other persons thoughts. This became a bit confusing at times and I didn't really like it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Starry supernatural romance, 13 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Immortal City (Paperback)
Review: This world knows about the existence of angels, and the angels make a profit of it. Jackson Godspeed is a rising star in this world, and every girl wants to date him. Apart from Maddy. Guess who ends up the lucky girl? Anyway, among that, someone's killing angels. And going by the pattern, Jackson's next.
I generally love the world that has been set up here. The angels are wonderfully consumerist, refusing to save a guy from a car crash when they save the one sitting beside him because the first one didn't have insurance. They're also humanlike in other ways, chasing after celebrity and fame over the things that you would normally associate angels with. And in Jackson's case, falling to emotions.
Maddy and Jackson are good characters that make a great couple. I like the fact that she's not totally lovelorn with the angels, and that he cares enough for Maddy to majorly defy what's expected of him in a society guided so tightly.
It was well paced. Something was always happening and I never found myself getting bored with the plot or world. It's a little predictable, but a lot of fun.
I'm still really confused why Jackson was next on the list of angels. It might have been done by fame, but I don't think he'd done anything major in the angel world by then other than be born pretty. It can't have been by age, because there was an older guy before him. It seems like a random plot point to be fussing over, but I must have either missed it or not had it explained, and I get a bit picky over things like this,
I'm glad there's room for a sequel, what with the reveal of the antagonist. And then there is a sequel! I'll read it some time.

Overall: Strength 4 tea to a starry supernatural romance with a good murder mystery added in too.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good book, but annoying at times, 29 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Immortal City (Paperback)
I have mixed feelings regarding this book. Despite the slow start, the story line definitely picked up, and I found myself enjoying it. There were definitely some inconsistencies that I had some trouble believing (which I'll go into later, since there may be spoilers).

The first thing I'm going to write about is Jacks. Lord, where do I even begin? Let's start with WOW. I expected more of a conceited character, who became aware of his flaws later in the novel - yes, this would have been nice (if not slightly predictable). Still, I loved him. He was definitely my favourite character (along with Gwen), and I want to lick his picture on the cover. Maybe the only reason I liked him so much is because of the constant description of how swoon-worthy he is. But did you see the cover? If that isn't swoon-worthy, I don't know what is.

*Cough* Anyway. Back to the book. As many other reviews have said, the plot is very unique. There's no denying that. I loved the idea from the very first chapter, and, although it wasn't executed as well as it could have been, the ideas themselves were original enough to redeem the book's less attractive points. I would love to one day have an idea as unique as this one. Protection-for-pay? That's such an amazing thought!

One of the things I didn't like about this book was the narrative, which partly comes down to the writing style. One minute the narrator was omniscient, and the next it was limited to Jacks or Maddy. It didn't really make any sense. I get the switching perspectives thing, if that's what Speer was trying to do, but this definitely wasn't the way to do it. Zipping around different points-of-view without even a new paragraph was sometimes infuriating. It was still readable, however, and I'm not going to totally condemn the writing style (despite the enormous number of typos). I'm a big fan of lavish description, and this book definitely had that, which was a plus for me.

Another thing I didn't like was Maddy. She was so annoying. Her character wasn't consistent at all. First she's supposed to be shy, and then she's got all this confidence and is yelling at Jacks and Vivian (not at the same time). This was probably the reason why I didn't give this book five stars. I just can't do it if I have a problem with the characters (more on this in the spoilers section).

SPOILERS
[Okay, so another thing I had a problem with was all of the unanswered questions at the end. Some of the stuff just wasn't explained. I get that there's a sequel, but surely all of the questions that were sparked from the first novel should be ANSWERED in the first novel. A big example is how Sylvester tracked the demon to the school. And what that thing was he used to get rid of it. A little back story would have been useful there. Another question I had was whether or not Jacks is actually mortal at the end... Didn't he get his wing cut off? But then he acts all fine. Maybe it's just me, but I got confused about that, along with how the angels knew that Maddy, Jacks and Ethan were on the roof near the end.

Oh well. It doesn't really matter, I suppose. I always love a good romance novel (this is why I decided to read Immortal City), but what was frustrating about this was that Maddy was obviously in love with Jacks. And yet she rejected him. Again and again and again and again. And he still kept coming back for more! Maybe it's just me, but if I liked someone that much, I would have said YES. Ugh, Maddy.]

I've just read back over what I wrote, and it sounds like I really hated this book. Just to clarify, I didn't. It was a good book, hence why I gave it four stars. There were just a few things that irked me. But if you're looking for an original book, that isn't really a typical paranormal, angsty romance, then definitely read this. The ending is something I forgot to comment on, but WOAH. It's amazing, and completely surprising! I would recommend this to friends, based purely on the kick-ass-amazing-oh-my-god plot. And (of course) the beautiful creature that is Jackson Godspeed. (:

5.0 out of 5 stars A deliciously addictive read that makes your heart pound and imagination soar..., 23 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Immortal City (Paperback)
New, fresh and distinctive Scott Speer's exciting `take' on Angels is simply breathtaking, and delightfully unexpected! Blending the supernatural with a glitzy Hollywood twist, this irresistible read is like nothing I have encountered before in the Young Adult genre. Heartrending and acutely poignant, one could call this story a tender romance if you solely focused on the strong theme pulsating through this tale ~ Maddy and Jacks' relationship. However, amid the heated passion and intensity lies a detailed historical fantasy focusing on Angels and Demons in a curiously clever world. Full of fast-paced drama and action from page one, I was sat on the edge of my seat in suspense throughout as the author interweaves a 007 Bond `feel' to this fantastical creation.

"Immortal City" is Hollywood for Angels, where guardian angels are treated like celebrities by all. The glitz and glamour is overwhelming for all in Angel City, who obsessively watch as young Angels are put through their training to become guardians (or) protectors. With lush parties and red carpet events every week, constant coverage by ANN (Angel News Network) and shops selling Nike wings and T-Shirts printed with `save me!' on them; this is a multi-million pound booming industry.
However, underneath all the façade lies deadly crime and poverty deep within the lower parts of the city's walls. One girl, Maddy, sees the world for what it is and knows the harshness of reality. Her thoughts and views all change when she meets the most idolized, handsome Angel in the City...Jackson Godspeed.

The Angels take on sole protections and save lives for money...but what happens if one of them saves a life for love?

Nail-bitingly intense and gripping, I was so impressed by the depth to this story and the author's sheer inspired creative vision. I loved how unlike some YA stories this one contains so much background history on the main characters, and which also gives you a fascinating insight into the Angels history. This is not just a mere teenage high-school romantic fantasy tale, as it explores ancient myths and legends and delicately blends them into a modern day setting. No YA story I feel would be complete without a love triangle and I found Maddy's connection between Ethan and Jackson to be so electric, that when the big twist at the end occurs I was in a state of great shock! The characters are so believable by the concoction of emotions expressed through the pages; from anger to confusion, to love to joy and so I instantly was able to relate to them easily.

Unlike the stereotypical tale of `perfect' protagonist, Maddy is so human and so real. She is not perfect and nor is she outspoken, especially noticeable or what would seem in the making for a heroine - and so teenage girls will instantly understand her and `get' her. But, like all truly great heroines she has such spirit and is a really gutsy, determined girl who knows her own mind. It is the rawness and realism within the characterization that makes this fabulous fantasy story so spectacular.

The journey that I took with the characters in this coming-of-age, Angel tale was profoundly meaningful and so impacting that I can honestly say I was blown-away. I would recommend this to all "Twilight" (Stephanie Meyer) fans, "Hush, Hush" (Becca Fitzpatrick or (Lauren Kate) "Fallen" readers. I was swept away by this heart pounding story that tugged at the heartstrings, whilst dazzling me by the stardom. This is one of those books which have to be read and experienced...for seeing is believing!

Unforgettable moments ~

"...Did you ever even concider that I might love you, you stubborn, impossible girl?"
- (Jacks to Maddy)

"...I saved your life"..."you did," she said. "And now I'm saving yours."
- (Maddy leaving Jacks at the train station)

"She felt Jacks's hands reach down and unclasp something from around her neck. Then she felt the cold, hard weight of a ring on her finger..."You are my Guardian Angel, Maddy" a voice said..."

3.0 out of 5 stars Fluffy but enjoyable read, 15 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Immortal City (Paperback)
Originally posted on [...]! Visit for more reviews!
Immortal City by Scott Speer is a great, original idea that follows Maddy and Jacks as their worlds collide in a explosion of sparks. Cheesy sum up I know but that's how it feels when you're reading this book, everything's on fire, you can feel your toes twiddling, stomach twisting, it's a love story of the century.

Basically the Angels have given up helping for the sake of helping, now they're making a profit out of saving their Protections, who are generally rich and famous. Of course being stunning, and with wings, helps your position in the world and the Angels are basically the elite, the famous, and the powerful. With their publicists able to justify all the Angels motives and actions they just can't put a foot wrong. It doesn't matter that they'll save one person from a car crash, their Protection, but allow the other three people to die, the Angels are too amazing to be held responsible for this. Really it's like the world today except the Angels are Rihanna and Angelina Jolie and Johnny Depp.

However what if one saves for love, defies the rules of the Guardians, and saves someone who isn't his Protection. Well this is what Immortal City's all about!

Maddy
A down to earth, human girl who doesn't get what all the hype is about the Angels. In her eyes they're selfish bast*rds that believe themselves too good for the normal humans. Maddy just wants to get away from Immortal City, and try and find somewhere she feels normal. She's prone to visions of nasty things that are about to happen, take her biology teacher blowing up for example (she stops this but as a result of her premonition) and she can't understand why she has them. Needless to say her uncle Kevin, whose looked after her and sheltered her since her parents were both killed when she was a baby, doesn't have much to say on the issue, not that Maddy ever asks him about it! She was an interesting character to follow as you can completely understand her inner turmoils about whether Jacks really does like her, whether she's pretty/special/good enough for him, and the fact she's pretty astute and brave doesn't hurt her! She develops throughout the book and you, well I couldn't anyway, can't help rooting for her, and for her relationship with Jacks to work out!

Jacks (Jackson)
The hot, holy, worshiped, famous Angel whose about to become a Guardian, the youngest Guardian in history, may we hasten to add! He's used to the luxurious privileged life the Angels lead, as well as girls fawning over him and knowing everything about him through stalking the various Angel Blogs, which there are a number of, (the Angels certainly know how to handle and exploit publicity!) When he meets Maddy, a girl who a) doesn't recognize him to begin with b) isn't interested in his apologies and his attempts to make up to her and c) who sees Jacks for the real Jacks, of course he's intrigued, fascinated and blown away. (Where would the story be if he wasn't!) He's a really scrummy character and I enjoyed learning about the Angel Politics and attempting to understand why Jacks was struggling to make decisions that would go against everything he's learnt.

I've read a few reviews on Immortal City and a lot of people would have rather there was less focus on the investigation into the Angel murders and more focus on Jacks and Maddy but personally I felt there was just enough on J & M that it wasn't overwhelming and the Angel murders and the Angel politics background story (and later on J & M are involved in the murders of course) really add to the story by giving it some depth. It helps to set the book up for a series which I think it's aiming to be (the second's out in April I believe) and I want to know what happens to everyone in this book not just J & M which is really important to me as it means Speers has managed to create characters I care about.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Immortal City
Immortal City by Scott Speer (Paperback - 5 April 2012)