Format: Paperback|Change

on 16 August 2013
A great book i read it first before giving it to my daughter whose 10, she found it very easy to read and understand. Also gave her explanations for the changes that were occuring and why. have recommended it to family and friends.
on 27 April 2013
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Received this today and am very impressed! We often watch Embarrassing Bodies as a family and find it a useful way to get discussions started as it is so informative and easy to understand, and this book takes the same tack.

The book itself is very colorful which instantly makes kids want to pick it up, and written in a very simple, but matter of fact way. It explains everything from how the body works, why puberty takes place and answers real questions that kids have sent it. It does cover sex, but not in any depth. It takes the approach of not doing anything before you're ready, don't be pressurized into sex or sexual contact. It dispels myths about pregnancy - such as you can get pregnant before you have had your first period etc, it covers how pregnancy happens, contraception and also STI's.

It also deals with body image, peer pressure, bullying and staying safe online and provides information on staying healthy and looking after your body.

My 11 yr old son has had a flick through it and found it easy to understand and gave it his thumbs up.
on 28 May 2013
Bought this after reading the nice things people wrote about it on Twitter. It has bright illustrations and is written in simple/factual language - surprisingly frank without being cringe-y or crass. However, my silly children (9 and 11) are mortified with embarrassment in it's very presence. I'm hoping they'll read it in secret!
on 7 October 2015
I bought this for my 11 year old who has just gone up to high school after finding that she had some quite big gaps in her knowledge about how her body was going to change. I read through it myself to make sure I thought it was appropriate and theres nothing in it that I object to her knowing. Then we read through some of the basics together - just a few pages at beginning. I left her with the book to read a little on her own as she was very shy and was not very keen on that at all!! But she came back to me to read through the next part in more detail a few days later - as she had read ahead it gave her times to digest and she knew what to expect a bit more, so she was more comfortable second time round. I have said when she's ready to read a little more we'll go through some more but have left it on the bookshelf should she want to find out more in her own time, its a lot to take in all at once!! I liked the fact that its not just boy or girl as its useful for children to know about growing up from both perspectives. For my daughter it was pitched just right for her age I think. This was recommended to my by another mum who had bought it for her 11 year old son.
VINE VOICEon 15 November 2013
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
From my point of you this is a very good advice book for both boys and girls about all aspects of growing up: personal hygiene, healthy eating, bulling, staying safe, first relationships, contraception, STDs, moods & feelings, pregnancy, erection, periods, acne, body hair and even bras, just to mention few.

This book covers much more than I expected and I absolutely love the humorous way that Dr Christian explains the issues.

"When you feel your breasts wobbling as you walk, it may be time to get bra."

I wish I had a chance to read it when I was growing up (!)

Although it is recommend for ages 9-13 I find it way too advanced for my daughter who is 8 and half at the moment. I don't think she is going to be ready for this book any time soon but I'm going to keep it I let her read it as soon as she will start asking some difficult questions... not because it would be hard for me to answer but because reading a book she will be able learn about things she could possibly feel too embarrassed to ask.
on 16 November 2015
For a reasonable size book, there's not really that much in there as the writing on each page is pretty large. Nevertheless there's some useful messages for teenagers (or soon to be teenagers) to hear - and it's written in a very accessible, clear, no nonsense way which I liked. I think that it's also quite interesting having sections from both a girl and a boy's perspective. So, overall, I'm pretty happy with the purchase.
on 17 July 2013
Bought for when I am ready to talk to my 8 year old about body changes etc - as a prompt for me to use, and for her to read in her own time.

I am putting off 'the chat!' but I know that when we are ready to sit down we will use this book.

I like how Dr Christian is a cartoon character throughout, and the language is simple, not patronising and easy to follow.

The pages are brightly coloured with not too graphic pictures.

Well done on a great book, it seems there is a bit of a gap in the market as I wasnt keen on other american, or too grown up books.
on 3 August 2014
Such a tender subject to approach but have bought this book to help my daughters (8 and 10) with the 'growing up thing'. Didn't think I'd be broaching the subject with my 8 yr old so soon but there's always one in the school who thinks they know it all and eagerly spreads the word and worries everyone with incorrect information that they've heard down the park. I have just left the book in their bedroom for them to read if they want to. I've read through it and it covers all the stages clearly. This book is better than other books I've bought on growing up.
on 1 December 2015
Very good and accessible. I bought this for my nine year old who is going through puberty. There are some bits (about sex and masturbation) that would not sit comfortably with some parents so please do read it before handing it over. And expect questions.....lots of questions, afterwards.
VINE VOICEon 22 April 2013
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Very impressed with this book from TV's Dr Christian. The book explores puberty and growing up from perspectives of both boys and girls, and also cleverly tries to give girls an idea of what boys are going through and vice versa.
The book uses colourful diagrams and concise easy to understand explanations, covering all bases.
What I particularly liked was the way he constantly reassures that everyone is different and does not always develop in exactly the same way or at the same speed! A great book to look through with your child and then leave them to read through on their own.