Format: Paperback|Change

TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 25 September 2012
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Even being die-hard Julia Donaldson fans as we are in this house, I have to say we did wonder about a book called "Superworm" - an unlikely hero if ever there was one, but this book is an instant winner, which my child has wanted for bedtime every night since we got it. The combination of memorable rhyming text and the fantastic marriage between the story and Axel Scheffer's detailed, colourful and humorous images make for an instant classic.

The story sees superworm, rescuer of baby toads and bord bees, being put under the spell of the evil "Wizard Lizard" and facing death by crow. Can his bug friends band together to hatch a cunning plan to save him? To find out you will have to read the book, though like all Donaldson books a happy ending is pretty well ensured.

Like Stick Man, this book works well as an everyday character is viewed differently through Donaldson's eyes. I think a worm being a hat, belt or slide will appeal to adults as much as it does to children. I found that this book is definitely of the sort children will quickly join in with and adults will find themselves remembering despite themselves. I think it's worth getting this book in hardback as it would make a lovely present and it's bound to be one that is read and read again. Another winner from our children's laureate and highly recommended by us.
on 10 September 2012
They did it again. The superworm is my son`s super hero by now and along the main story line, he finds many little side stories within the lovely illustrations, including the hidden Gruffalo! The language is simple enough for a 3-year old and the story is complex enough to keep his attention too. Thank you Julia and Axel for another great book.
on 11 September 2012
As with all Donaldson/Scheffler books this one is packed with delightful detail for the parent whilst the rhyming text is easy to follow for the child - Watch him wiggle, see him squirm, there's no-one quite like Superworm!

As always a bit of adventure then a bit of peril and then a nice resolution to send them off to bed happy.

Not quite as good as the classic Gruffalo or Room on the Broom, but up there with Stick Man and Zog for me.
on 17 October 2012
My 4 year old son just loves Julia Donaldson's books and this is just as good. I wasn't sure myself about a worm (ewwwwww)story but my son absolutely loves it. If you are fan of Tiddler and Snail & the Whale in particular - you will enjoy it.
VINE VOICEon 3 October 2012
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Absolutely brilliant book with smart, funny and very catchy text by Julia Donaldson and beautiful illustrations by Axel Scheffler, creators of so much loved "The Gruffalo".

" (...) Superworm is super-long.
Superworm is super-strong. (...)"

Both my 2 & 7 year old daughters enjoyed it a lot, the bigger one can already read on her own so she did read it more than three times in the last few days (!)

The format quite large, a bit wider but shorter than A4, even better as all those adorable illustrations are exposed more. It is well made, sturdy hard cover that will last.

Fully recommended, "Superworm" is one of those books that won't get a chance to rest on the shelf... great for both smaller and bigger, boys and girls. We would give it 6 stars if we could!
VINE VOICEon 18 October 2012
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The Superworm is another hero to come out from the Gruffalo stable of story telling and animation.

Young children will love the vulnerable hero, that they can find wriggling in their gardens. Adults will like the fact that the story is just the right length and entertaining.

As usual the colours and pictures are bright and wonderful.

Full marks.
on 11 September 2012
You can't really go wrong with Julia Donaldson and this is another entertaining book that would appeal to those approx age 2-5. If you have Stick Man, you'll see some similarities in the style of the story with Superworm being super useful for all sorts of things. Very nice.
on 21 October 2012
My children both love this but my 4.5 year old son especially, is intrigued by Superworm!

Fabulous story line coupled with brilliant illustrations, this book is one of the best yet from the amazing collaboration of Donaldson-Scheffler. How do they do it?

Borrowed from the library first to see if it was any good but we did not need to worry and placed an order with Amazon after just 3 days of booking it out of the library. Buy it and be prepared to read over and over again.
Superworm helps all his friends by keeping them safe, amusing them with games or saving them from danger. Then he is captured by the Wizard Lizard and his bad servant, crow. Can his friends save him from their clutches, the way he always saves them? This is another good read from the team of Julia Donaldson and Axel Scheffler. Great illustrations, fun rhyming text and great to read aloud. It is also a great way to encourage children to imagine how many things one thing can be used for - Superworm is everything from a slide to a crane and children can help think of many more. A great read, full of imagination and humour. I am sure Superworm will effortlessly join Donaldson's list of favourite characters.
on 17 February 2013
Karen for [...]

I must confess that I only bought 'Superworm' as it was on offer and because one of children's literature's most famous duos, Julia Donaldson and Axel Schleffer were behind the helm. It couldn't be that much of a dud surely?!

To my relief, this book has proved to be an absolute hit with my 5yr old daughter and 2yr old son. Whilst thinking about doing this review, I was trying to work out what makes this book so loved. Asking the children gets the usual, not very descriptive, 'It's good' so no real hope there.

I can only assume that it's the combination of having a 'superhero' and that the characters are bugs and other small common creatures that the children can easily identify with. Each page is filled with action, the pace is fast, Superworm is afterall busy being a superhero and all that.

Also, Superworm is a hero that's cool to younger children. Who cares about x ray vision, seeing the future, super strength etc when Superworm can make himself into a slide, skipping rope, train, lasso and so on? Throw in a dastardly lizard and his crow servant who want to use Superworm for their own nefarious purposes and you have the formula for a fantastic book in your hands.

The usual Donaldson and Schleffer footprints are here with the witty, easy to read poem that the kids quickly start to memorise and chant aloud with you in glee. Coupled with Schaeffler's trademark quirky, detailed illustrations that adds life and character to the 'creepy crawlies' and the world which they inhabit, this is an enjoyable book to listen to and look at.

Verdict: This book may appear to have a limited target audience but would actually be appreciated by most children. It's fast paced, full of action and yet easily relatable, catching most children's interest. I'm sure that when the weather gets warmer we'll be outside looking for our own 'Superworm' and friends!