• Zog

Format: Board book|Change

Our household have been massive Julia Donaldson and Axel Scheffler fans ever since our eldest was nearly one and we bought The Gruffalo. Even though our boys are now 4 and 6, and they don't request these books as much as they used to...I still felt that I had to get Zog when I saw it.

Zog is all about a young dragon at Dragon School. He's really very keen and tries his best with all of his lessons, but somehow things keep going wrong and he keeps having accidents. Luckily, every time he gets into a scrape a mysterious girl comes along and fixes him up with plasters and bandages etc. Finally, Zog has to attempt the hardest task of all - capturing a princess - and finds that he's really not very good at it. He's feeling very sorry for himself when along comes the girl again - can she save the day this time?

Of course, as you'd expect this book has a happy ending...although I've only given it 4 stars instead of 5 because the ending felt a little bit forced somehow and our little boys didn't immediately fully understand it. However, that said, it's still a lovely rhyming text that mostly trips off the tongue and the pictures, as ever, are a joy to behold. There are so many little details in the illustrations that we could sit for ages whilst the boys point out all the insects, animals and other goings on in the background.

All in all, I would recommend this book to anyone with little ones as you generally can't go wrong with a Julia/Axel book. However, if you've not yet read "Room on the Broom", "Gruffalo" or "The Snail and the Whale" by the same authors then I would recommend those even more highly than this.
on 19 August 2010
Well, they've done it again.

This is a lovely book which appeals to both boys and girls. Our almost 4-year-old boy enjoys the "dragony-ness"(!) of it, and I've tested it on a wider audience by reading it to his pre-school class who all loved the illustrations and the trademark Donaldson rhyming story. The story is simple to understand but complex enough to prompt questions from keen pre-schoolers and the illustrations are full of lovely details. It makes excellent bedtime reading as it's just the right length to be part of a "2 story" session!
This is another fun, appealing story from Julia Donaldson, with illustrations provided by Axel Scheffler (whose style is so clearly recognisable that even 2 year olds can spot the cover of the book and recognise it as a 'Gruffalo').

It's a fun story to read to my group of preschoolers, though not one of their favourites - it isn't quite as rhythmic as 'The Gruffalo', 'Room on the Broom', 'The Snail and the Whale' or 'Tiddler' - but I rather enjoy some of the concepts. The dragon-theme of the whole book is very appealing to youngsters, but this is arguably the most message-filled of the Donaldson stories to date.

There are dragons, knights and princesses - but, led by the princess, all are ultimately determined to buck their stereotypical story-tale roles. The princess doesn't want to be a princess, since it's kind of boring being a damsel in distress. Instead, she'd rather be a doctor and help people - and her rebellion leads Zog (the titular dragon) and her would-be rescuer knight to also reveal that they would prefer to help people, instead of embracing their expected violent career paths.
on 6 January 2014
I bought the board book version of this for my son's first birthday along with a few other books. This was and is his favourite by far. While the story of Zog is charming, but what he particularly loves is the level of detail in the illustrations. We spend ages flicking back and forth through the pages as he spots the birds in background of the pictures.
My son hunts this book out amongst his ever growing collection, it is a firm favourite. Also there is enough of a story for parents to avoid chewing their own limbs off in boredom (none of the state the obvious "an Orange is Orange drivel").
If you like this I also recommend Giraffes Can't Dance.
on 10 August 2010
Zog is another brilliant book. My son (almost 3 yrs old) just loves the story and laughs at Zog's mishaps. Not only is it a story about dragons (always a big hit) but we have counting too. My son has also recognised the similarity between Zog and the dragon in "Room on the Broom". Great for bedtime reading as the gentle rhyming verses are soft and soothing when little ones are drifting off to sleep!
on 18 September 2010
Julia Donaldson and Alex Scheffler have done it again! Zog is a fantastic read. My children both 8 and 2 respectively love it. We bought it a week ago and already it's looking dogeared and very well read- about 50 times and counting. It's got the lot, Dragons, mishaps, a princess and even a school teacher who reminds me of my own childhood one...Yes, she was a bit of a dragon too! The story rolls off your tongue so smoothly that even my youngest is repeating some of her favourite phrases. Please Julia and Alex, give us a squeal.
on 21 November 2010
This book is indeed an excellent creation (yet again) by perfect combination of J.Donaldson and A.Scheffler. It's funny, clever and somewhat educational, about choosing a new career even if you are dragon. We read this book with my 3 year old son very regularly and every time it is an entertaining time spending. I definitely recommend.
on 27 November 2013
Arrived in great time. As usual the book was fab. We have the whole set and our 2 year old is entranced. As he gets older, I'm amazed at the impact these books have on little ones. The passages are so easy to remember and our son repeats them as we read, or even pre-emotes what's coming next. The woman is a genius!
on 15 September 2013
Ok if I had to choose I would say the Gruffalo is the best Julia Donaldson story. However, Zog is great in other ways, the illustrations are absolutely brilliant, my 2 year old girl loves it although it is aimed more at 4 to 6 year olds. She is really using the illustrations to tell the story herself and she often asks me to help her find the page where Zog burns his wing. The end part of the story took a while to get into. After, looking at the pictures and discussing the details in the pictures, it became more interesting but initially she wanted to skip the end. The story is about a dragon who is at dragon school, he learns something new in each year at school but each time he has to practise and sometimes he hurts himself but a little girl is always there to help him out. In the end he helps her as she wants to be a doctor and he offers to be the air ambulance. Good for introducing new vocabulary.
on 8 May 2013
My 2.5 yr old loves this book and it has quickly become her favourite. All of Julia Donaldson's books are great, and this one is no exception. The rhyming makes it a pleasure to read and the illustrations are great too. I would recommend this book for any kids under 5.