4.5 out of 5 stars1,020
Format: Paperback|Change

on 29 January 2001
without a doubt, this is the best book i have ever read. it's intricate plot, leads towards the whole atmosphere of tension and hope. i enjoyed this book most because of the ending! the normal everyday book ends with everyone satisfied and happy, but philip pullmans 'The Amber Spyglass' leaves you feeling sad and makes you reflect on your life. it is a MUST READ, for anyone of any age who has ever had a dream!!! and is willing to follow through with it...
on 27 June 2012
This has to be one of my all time favourites, I read my mum's seperate copies of The Dark Materials and just had to buy my own! The book is heavy to hold when you are lying in bed, but I get so involved in the story that it doesn't bother me! I read this trilogy before seeing the film, I thought The Golden Compass was a good representation of Philip Pullmans wonderful storytelling. I'm going back into the book for the forth time now and I can't wait.
on 18 December 2007
This series started so well, The Northern Lights was both original and well-written. I cannot quite remember what I thought of number two, so I suppose it means it was fair enough, but the Amber Spyglass simply bored me. Maybe he was to eager to sell his message, whatever that was, but the story lost momentum, the new characters were uninteresting, and worse, and that is a cardinal sin for a writer, the old characters, so well developed, were lost somewhere in his 'sermons'.

Do not buy this book, leave after no 2 at the latest with a favourable impression of the author, and get Julian May's quadrologi of 'The Exiles', or Zelazny's first Amber series, and enjoy. All the way to the end and beyond.
on 16 May 2004
This is a fabulous book that brings up many issues about religion, yet you don't have to be a certain religion to read it.
The storyline is complex and very complicated. When I had finished reading it I was not sure about some of the storylines.
But I was filled with many emotions and found myself admiring and respecting the wonderful characters Pullman produced and was sad when it ended.
This is an obvious sign of a very good book.
Different theories of worlds within worlds have always fascinated me and in the 'His Dark Materials' trilogy, Philip Pullman makes his own interpretation. The characters are described very vividly and you can almost see and feel the strong colours, smells and sounds of the wonderous worlds they move through. Normally, books with parallel plots don't appeal to me, but in this case, of course it comes very natural. Simply enchanting, Pullman!
on 7 November 2000
I found this final part of the trilogy just as gripping and exciting as the other two. I loved the book because it was not just a story but a whole new philosophy as well which was so absorbing and mind boggling. I did find however that I was disappointed at the end, I felt that the ending had been snatched away from me as it was so abrupt... I felt cheated. However I still loved the book and the story line was great!! Buy it!! Read it!!
on 18 November 2000
A masterpeice is what I'd call it. a work of art, A peice of writing that should never be forgotten. I've just finished reading it this same night, and i'ts blown my mind, and heart away. I thought that only 1 book out of 3 could be good, but all three of "His Dark Materials" have been so wonderous, so adventurous that i will make sure that my Children, and their children read these books,
Well Done P.Pullman !!!!
on 18 October 2000
The Golden Compass (Northern Lights) was great. The Subtle Knife was good too. But the Amber Spyglass is BRILLIANT! It's been a week since I've read it and I still can't get it off my mind. The plot is amazing, with many interesting twists and turns. The characters, knew as well as old, are amazingly three-dimensional...you really feel for them. I also loved the moral complexity presented in this novel...Pullman is dead-on about the role of the Church and the evil it can do. I won't go into any more detail because I know none of you have read it yet and I wouldn't want to spoil it for you. I'll just say that it is simply amazing. The only thing that that bothered me was that the ending was so incredibly sad it made me cry for an hour afterwards. I don't think I've ever cried that hard about a work of fiction before! Nonetheless many good things do happen at the end and it doesn't take away from the beauty of the book. So basically, what I'm trying to say is BUY THIS BOOK! YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED!
on 29 December 2000
This book was really interesting. It made me cry, it made me laugh and it was really nerve-racking. I enjoyed it considerably and will read it again very soon! Anyone who enjoyed the first two or has read and enjoyed THE HOBBIT or THE LORD OF THE RINGS should give this book a go. It is the conclusion to the tale of lyra, will, Dr.Malone, Iorek, Lord Asrail and the many other characters included in the other books, plus more.
on 30 July 2015
You would need to read this book as the second of the Trilogy. There is much which would not make any sense otherwise. All of the books in the set are set in alternative worlds as well as our own. They are beautifully written but the concepts are quite strange.
My son loves the books and is enjoying the stories of the different characters in them.
Warning .... There are some very sad parts as well as some good humour