5.0 out of 5 stars Courtesy of Teens Read Too
Ten-year-old Tom Griffin and his older brother, twelve-year-old Johnny, live in Dublin, Ireland, with their parents and a teenaged half-sister, Grainne. Grainne has not seen or heard from her mother since she was a baby, and now her mother is coming from America for a visit. Grainne is nervous about the visit. Will seeing her mother heal the hurt of being abandoned by...
Published on 8 Nov 2007 by TeensReadToo

3.0 out of 5 stars OK... Well...
Less suspense than expected... a bit uneventful and...well...dull! Nothing really happens until halfway! I am somewhat rather dissappointed! Do not be mislead by the blurb!
Published 3 months ago by C. Cullen

5.0 out of 5 stars a thrilling story, 20 Aug 2011
This review is from: Wilderness (Paperback)
Wilderness is a great story with a fantastic story line.The book is about two boys and their mother who go to Finland on holiday,while their half sister stays behind to meet her real mother.During the holiday,the boy's mother goes missing and they go on a dangerous journey to find her.All in all,this is a brilliant book and I would recommend this novel to children over 9 years old.

5.0 out of 5 stars A bit different and rather good, 16 April 2010
C. Carter (France) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wilderness (Paperback)
I found this a welcome change from the over-abundance of fantasy type books for children. If you're not a huge fantasy fan then there's not a lot to choose on the bookshelves. This was exciting and I though both the plots ran alongside each other perfectly. Simply but very well written.

3.0 out of 5 stars OK... Well..., 18 July 2014
C. Cullen (Suffolk, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wilderness (Kindle Edition)

2.0 out of 5 stars Great Writers Talent Lost in the Wilderness., 1 Feb 2008
This review is from: Wilderness (Paperback)
Roddy Doyle is one of my favourite authors, after being thrilled by the Barrytown Trilogy I've followed his writing through Paddy Clarke, Paula Spencer and the Last Roundup books. I thought writing a memoir of his parents was a little indulgent but I still enjoyed reading it. His Meanwhile Adventure kids book I thought a scream but even so `Wilderness' didn't make me rush to the library on it's publication date. From the blurb I'd seen it would appear Roddy had written a book for teenagers with school reading list written all over it.

My memories of school and the `approved' list put me off reading for years. I used to sneak James Bond novels into school so I didn't have to read the earnest rubbish with a transparent `do the right thing' message the council had approved. Still as an ex-teacher and all round great writer maybe Roddy would write a book were the message wasn't spelled out at every turn and the characters had enough human qualities to at least make it stand up.

Well the warmth of a Roddy Doyle novel is present but the two parallel stories to drive home the message dilutes its own suitably earnest stand, but more worryingly there is absolutely no humour in this book at all. Since Roddy Doyle is one of the funniest writers to ever improve a sheet a plain paper by adding his wit to it this is the most perplexing thing I've ever come across. Since, I imagine, Roddy cannot help but be humorous and entertaining I can only imagine that this has been deliberately edited out under the misguided impression that school children don't enjoy a good laugh. When I was at school we were constantly looking for a good laugh normally to the detriment of our studies. I can't but help thinking an opportunity to mix the two has been squandered.

If Roddy Doyle is on next terms reading list, take my advice, smuggle a book in, anything by Roddy Doyle except this one.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book, dog-lover read!!!!, 5 Feb 2011
A Kid's Review
This review is from: Wilderness (Paperback)
First, I should tell you something about me. Well, I am a complete dog-freak. Anything dog I will read, watch or do. I have a dog-a rescue dog who is a Labrador cross. I also LOOOOVEEE huskies and this book caught my eye straight away by the hug, aqua-eyes staring at me from the front cover, piercing and beautiful. I picked it up straight away, read the blurb and realised it was about two brothers who went to Finland on a husky expedition. The thing I loved about this book was that it doesn't describe every single detail. It's short, snappy and straight-to-the point. It has a lot of family charm and is a must-read for dog lovers. If you love dogs, read this book!

1.0 out of 5 stars Not the Roddy Doyle that I knew, 4 Dec 2010
This review is from: Wilderness (Paperback)
First of all let me start with saying that for me Roddy Doyle is a genius.
I loved his early books: The commitments,The snapper,The van.

The story he could make up, the language, his ireland, all coming out naturally from him to me (the reader).

I read the wilderness.
Where is the roddy doyle I liked ?
There are a few sparks when johnny and tom talked to each other, if I really looked hard.
Nothing in there. A boring and predictable story.
More than boring, annoying.
What's going on with their old sister and her real mother ?
Disperse chapters unveil a story with nothing in it.
A mother abandons her young daughter, comes back many years later and say I am kinda sorry with an american accent.
if you like Doyle avoid it all cost.
If you want your children to like doyle one day tell them to read something else.

4.0 out of 5 stars wilderness, 21 Mar 2010
A. Low - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wilderness (Paperback)
have not read the book yet but on frst impression it looks fascinating for teenagers.

Wilderness
Wilderness by Roddy Doyle (Paperback - 1 Sep 2011)