Silver
Format: PaperbackChange
Price:£7.99+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on 22 February 2014
Think of this book as Zombies combined with machines but stronger, faster and smarter. The book takes a new angle to the virus infection, making it unique and different from other books of this genre out there.
I really enjoyed this book, I loved the blurb on the back that I knew I had to read this and I wasn't disappointed. Right from the start I was hooked, I enjoyed the fact that he started straight into the action and it kept building from that. I also enjoyed the short sentences and the change in point of view. This is quite a tricky technique to pull off but I felt that it really worked in the book. I was really able to understand the characters a lot better because I was able to see what they thought and felt, this really worked well with the story. I also liked the short sentences since It made me read through the scenes quite fast and this really worked when the action really picked near the beginning of the story. I also liked the fact that you couldn't predict who would survive in the end.
One of the things that really hooked me was from the blurb ''but this is no ordinary virus. It turns flesh into metal, and people into machines.''. This, I felt, did the book justice, since I was very interested about the plot. Personally I haven't read a book about this particular virus and it was a good change from the normal zombie virus you read about and see. The title really sums this book up and the cover does the book justice as well since you really feel interested in reading it.
I also enjoyed the fact that some parts even made me smile like ''Heck, I'd follow you after that little show''. This was a nice addition, since it lightened the tense situation, before you were thrust back into the action.
The only thing I didn't particular like was the ending, because I still had a number of questions I wanted answered, but it did tie up the rest quite nicely. However, I don't dislike it that much, since it could be an open ending that I see in some books. But it also could be a set up for a sequel (I hope) since I felt that the story had enough material to be expanded. Other than that I felt the book really captured the situation through description as well as the characters. I will definitely be reading other Chris Wooding's books in the future, and I will be looking forward to other books he publishes.
on 14 February 2014
It's been a long time since I last read a book by Chris Wooding, maybe i should have been paying attention! This book did not disappoint. A gripping, fast paced read with wonderful characterisation. I loved the sympathetic characters, even those who are misunderstood and in particular how they pulled together and kept going right to the end. I liked that you couldn't predict who would survive in the end and that the enemy was something so menacing and unknown. I am desperately hoping for a sequel.
on 20 July 2013
the only reason this book gets 4 and not 5 stars is that the action is a little repetitive after a while. some great rite-of-passage stuff for some of the kids in the book and overall a great read if you're not expecting top-notch literature. Not as good as some of his later novels, but still a really enjoyable jaunt.