5.0 out of 5 stars 10-yr-old boy loved it!
My son is 10 and up to now has only really read Beast Quest, which is fine but somewhat limited. We went to see the Hunger Games at the cinema and he loved it! While not yet ready for the Hunger Games books he was very excited about reading something by Suzanne Collins and really took to Gregor.

As a result he has since read the first sequel, has requested...
Published on 11 Jun. 2012 by MD

› See more 5 star, 4 star reviews
2.0 out of 5 stars Not great
I expected something more along the lines of the hunger games, but I got this instead. The book itself, physically was perfect!
Published 15 months ago by David O'Connor

› See more 3 star, 2 star, 1 star reviews

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars 10-yr-old boy loved it!, 11 Jun. 2012
This review is from: Gregor the Overlander (The Underland Chronicles) (Paperback)

As a result he has since read the first sequel, has requested the other three books too and has moved on to reading other more challenging (and well-written) books too.

I am delighted!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book for a bright 9 year old, 1 July 2012
C. D. Colson (UK) - See all my reviews
After having read the Hunger Games books by this author myself I thought my bright grandaughter might enjoy something for a younger reader. It was a total success, she loved the book, in fact I think she lived it. I have since bought her the next two in the series. Long may Gregor keep her enthralled!

5.0 out of 5 stars Gregor the Overlander, 23 Jun. 2009
I. Morrill (Coin, Malaga, Spain) - See all my reviews
I cannot reccommend this book highly enough! My 9 year old son had finished Harry Potter book 7 and we were at a loss as to what to suggest next. We read the first in the series of Artemis Fowl(which is also good) and then began with Gregor. We read some together at bed time and then my son continues alone. The story is so exciting that bedtime reading became after school reading aswell!! A great read for all, can't wait for the next one to arrive!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book for both kids and adults, 5 Jun. 2014
As a lover of The Hunger Games, I decided to check out Collins' other work. This series totally blew me away. Despite being pitched towards younger children (perfect for 9-10 year olds) it has all the depth and integrity of The Hunger Games and has even better character development. The plots (in all five books) are thrilling and action-packed, but there are some meaty, though-provoking scenes and a whole range of ethical and moral dilemmas are raised. The characters are brilliantly described (particularly Ripred who I am very fond of) and I simply couldn't put the book down until I had completed their journeys. As with The Hunger Games, Collins doesn't shy away from killing main characters and this gives the stories a depth and maturity that other children's books simply do not tackle. I read the entire series from start to finish in a few weeks and was blown away. As I am a teacher of 8-10 year old children, I then took the books into the classroom and read them to my class. I've never had a reaction like it. Every single child in the class bought the entire series, would read enthusiastically when before they had struggled and would burst into class every morning simply to tell me what had happened in the last chapter.

I adore The Hunger Games but I think I would say that Gregor the Overlander is even better. Simply fantastic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than hunger games, 22 Oct. 2013
Adam Jamil "Adam" (Adam) - See all my reviews
I loved hunger games! When i started reading Gregor series I thought I had made a mistake and bought the wrong book as i didn't think it was my kind of book, well I was totally wrong. I have read all 5 books and have to say they are the best books i have ever read. I will be bored without them, Collins is my new favourite writer.

5.0 out of 5 stars The chronicles _ over 1500 pages which you must read!, 29 Nov. 2014
All 5 books,---its easy for a male adult reader to be irritated with a character like Boots. I wanted her to have a normal name and respond to situations more like an adult . but I accept this is not realistic. After many pages her qualities began to work on me and I accepted her because of her brother who had more and more to cope with.. I resigned myself to the Chronicles being basically true to its genre and so continued to read on avidly. I was more than disappointed when i attempted to find book 6. I then found I had to get over its absence. This proved to be a measure of the authors stature and the high star rating I award her I want her to keep on writing and will certainly queue up for the cinema versions! So one has to suspend belief somewhat as is true of the Hunger Games and just settle down to many hours of enjoyable reading, to be transported into a world you just could not imagine and experience the thrills of the unexpected! .

5.0 out of 5 stars Gregor the Overlander, 18 Jun. 2014
An excellent book,Suzanne Collins Isn't afraid to describe the bloody happenings in this book,however ensuring that it's germane to the story and not just for the sake of adding Gore to the tale.A good read but not for very young readers.
The Graduate

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 4 April 2015
I loved the Hunger Games and was interested to see what other books Suzanne Collins had written. Initially I was put off buying this book as it seemed to be aimed at a much younger audience, however I took a chance and am so pleased that I did! This book was excellent! Beautifully written and I adored the characters of Temp and Boots and the wonderful relationship they shared. This book made me laugh but also kept me up at night as I couldn't wait to find out what happened in the next chapter. I will definitely be reading all the books in this series and can not recommend it enough. Great read for all ages.

5.0 out of 5 stars Courtesy of Teens Read Too, 15 Dec. 2006
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
After surviving a bizarre fall through a gateway to the Underland--conveniently located in the laundry room of their NYC apartment building--eleven-year-old Gregor and his two-year-old sister Boots discover a world filled with giant talking cockroaches, rats, spiders, and bats. The humans of this formidable world take them in as "guests," but, as Gregor astutely observes, "Guests could leave it they wanted to" (p. 54). Not knowing whom to trust, Gregor flees the palace with Boots, inadvertently igniting the prophesied war between the humans and rats.

Highlighting Gregor's role as the consistently responsible older brother, Collins creates a heroic character for young adult readers even before revealing that Gregor is about to fulfill his destiny as "an Overland Warrior, a Son of the Sun" (p. 109). Yes, there is violence, but not simply for the sake of being violent; Collins's use of violence is appropriate to her story.

Gregor is a great introduction for readers who are new to the fantasy genre. The main characters are human, and are well-grounded in reality--New York City, doing laundry, babysitting, summer camp. Still, there is enough of the fantastic--giant talking animals, gateways into another world, prophecies--to stimulate the imagination and introduce newcomers to fantasy without being overwhelming.

Massachusetts Children's Book Award Honor Book, 2006

Pennsylvania Young Readers' Choice Award, 2006

NAIBA Book of the Year Award, 2004

Reviewed by: Mechele R. Dillard

5.0 out of 5 stars Suspend Judgement..Just read., 17 Jun. 2014
I have already given my review as...fab...to the other books in this series. Really folks, suspend judgement and just enjoy, you wont regret it.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Gregor the Overlander (The Underland Chronicles)
Gregor the Overlander (The Underland Chronicles) by Suzanne Collins (Paperback - 29 May 2013)
Used & New from: £0.01