5.0 out of 5 stars Linger review

3.0 out of 5 stars It was good, but not as good as Shiver
Published on 27 Jun. 2011 by Amy

5.0 out of 5 stars Linger review, 14 Dec. 2010
This review is from: Linger: 2 (Paperback)
This is one very brilliant book. From first sight it doesnt look like much, just another fantasy romance novel. It is everything but this. The storyline is so engrossing that once you start to read it is very hard to stop! It follows the story about an ex-werewolf and his girlfriend, however his girlfriend is getting strangely sick and nobody knows why. The tension is built up incredibly well as there is this huge mystery as to what is happening to Grace. The book is told with each chapter being from the viewpoint of a different character. This is very effective in building the tension up even more as once your about to find something out from once character, you suddenly switch to another. There is about 5 different characters, all with different stories and backgrounds, all telling different sides of the story, which adds to the excitement as all the characters find out the mysteries in the story at the same time as eachother and us. Therefore we, as readers, are very involved in the story right from the start, which makes the book exciting and extremely engrossing.

This is one book that you really wont be able to put down. Even if you havent read the first book ('Shiver') the story is still very clear to understand and still as exciting. It is an amazing book which actually makes you fear for the characters as you are so involved with the story, and see it from everyones point of view. It has a fantastic cliff-hanger ending ready for the next book.The ending is a complete unexpected shock for us and the characters in the story, and leaves you thinking about the book for days after you've finished it. A very good read.

5.0 out of 5 stars I was cold, I had a handful of snow, and I was human., 21 July 2010
Doha (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Linger: 2 (Paperback)
What can I say? I have waited for this book for SO LONG (the worst part of the fangirl job-description), and it made its way across the Atlantic for me, and I've read it and I love it and I have no idea how to a) start this review, or b) write it without spoiling it for everybody. For everyone who is waiting for this book, and everyone who loved Shiver, and everyone who loves Sam and Grace, and everyone who was so ready to cry their eyes out at the end of the previous book - you won't be disappointed. You really really won't.

After Shiver, I admit I was a little bit doubtful about where else this story would or could go, how it wouldn't be repeat of it but in reverse - I had faith in Maggie (even though I thought Lament was a little shaky), but judging from Shiver, I couldn't see where this was set up to go. In fact, it was a while before Maggie revealed it HAD a sequel (and the SEQUEL had a sequel).

Linger takes a step up from Shiver and really works its momentum, introducing two new first-person narrative voices in addition to Grace and Sam. We've already met prickly and spunky Isabel, and now we meet Cole, a new wolf - and a complicated jerk - creating an ambitious four-way narrative.

Can I take a moment to do some Isabel-fangirling? How awesome is she? The girl's a...not a nice person, but totally honest with it...and actually, it turns out she's not such a...not-nice person after all, but she would rather have you think that she is. Grace's history gives her character depth and complexity, but with Isabel, it's her personality. It was skilful contrast at its best, and the reason why you could laugh your way through so much of it.

Grace: What are you feeding them?
Isabel: Babies.

This. This is why I really like Isabel. I like tough girls in fiction: the ones that give no quarter but secretly have hearts in places where they hope nobody will ever discover them. I noticed several times how the description of her expressions were telling you...she looked `inadvertently cruel', she had a smile that `always looked like a smirk', her `sheer insensitivity'. In some ways you feel like she has all the appearance of a, er, not-nice person without any real evidence that she actually is one.

You know what? I want to be FRIENDS with Isabel, the girl makes me laugh like a chimney-sweep on drugs. BE MY FRIEND, ISABEL.

You know what else? Even though it was all of the things Shiver was - lyrical and quiet and a necklace of moments - it was also really funny. I laughed to myself a LOT (on the bus, as usual), even at the most serious parts - Isabel's a magic ingredient. And this is another thing that was just great about Linger. A writer with less intuition would hamstring themselves by taking it all too seriously - boys who turn into wolves, wolves who turn into boys, girls who love them...it can all get very angsty very quickly - or it can go Twilight - but it doesn't.

It's not that it's `real' or realistic - I mean, hello, it's about werewolves, and werewolves somewhat lack ecological validity - but what is at the core of it is its honesty. The characters are far from perfect - they might be self-involved jerks, but they are unflinchingly honest with it. This is why you can love them - they never pretend to be anything else, not in their own heads. And that's true for every one of the main characters - their narratives burn with it. You can love them because you can be them.

In other books, first-person narratives often suffer a loss of quality because...I think the best way I can describe it is to go a little academic and talk about something called `social desirability distortion', which is jargonese for when people make themselves appear how they think they ought to be, rather than how they truly are. Writers are serial perpetrators where this is concerned; with or without realising it, characters are idealised and `tidied up' - even their flaws and inconsistencies.

Live a little or live a lot, you know the things you do, say or think aren't always consonant with each other: consistency is a goal and a work in progress, it rarely truly exists in a person as completely as a lot of books would have you believe. So much depends not only on the person you are, but on the situation, the different internal pressures that might make you react in different ways to the same situation - there are so many variables, so many things, that even your inconsistencies must lack consistency, and `the person you are' is as much a sum of your contradictions as anything else.

These four - Sam, Grace, Isabel and Cole - they are so different, and yet in all their differences, they remain steadfastly honest characters, and so earnestly human. And at its heart, I feel like this is what this whole story comes down to: not just staying human, but *being* human - even when you don't want to be, even if it kills you.

On finishing this book...I feel very tired and very sad, and about a hundred years old. I wonder if anyone will be able to read this without it sharpening any pain or grief or loss they might have felt in their own lives. Linger is like a song, aching and wistful and beautiful. It happened that I was finishing the book off to the soundtrack of someone playing `Memory` from Andrew Lloyd Webber's `Cats' on their piano, and it's become woven into my memory of it, its theme.

And you know what? It's perfect.

---
This review was originally written for therockpool (dot) wordpress (dot) com. If you liked it, head over and enjoy it with all its links and footnotes. Because footnotes are awesome.

4.0 out of 5 stars Loved It More Than Shiver!, 18 April 2013
This review is from: Linger: 2 (Paperback)
When I saw that Shiver was being made into a film I decided I had to read the trilogy. I really enjoyed Shiver. I really liked the characters, Sam and Grace.

However, I must say I loved the characters in Linger even more. There was something about Cole that I just loved. Also, it was great to see Isabel in a more friendly way. I love how we still get a bit of story about Sam and Grace, but there's other things going on in this book with Cole and Isabel.

I'm really enjoying this series and would definitely recommend. I'm just about to start reading Forever (Wolves of Mercy Falls) which is the last book in the trilogy.

I'm really glad I've read this and can't wait to see what new gripping story the author has wrote for us! She really has a way of making you want to keep reading. I think I may read her other books.

I give this 8 out of 10!

4.0 out of 5 stars Elegant, yet sometimes hollow, 2 Nov. 2013
In "Linger," the sequel to Shiver, ex-werewolf Sam tentatively embraces his lost boyhood (manhood?) after being cured of his curse. As the spring thaw brings the first fragile crocuses to Mercy Falls, Minnesota, he rediscovers the trappings of humanity that he was forced to shed during the endless winters of his adolescence (cold weather triggered the seasonal shift to wolf). Meanwhile, his steadfast girlfriend Grace grows sicker by the day, dogged by a raging fever and constant stomachache and plagued by nightmares of becoming a wolf ("I choked on the wolf rising up inside me, pressing against the lining of my stomach, clawing inside my skin, trying to peel me inside out"). Grace had been smuggling Sam into her bedroom for chaste sleepovers, but when Sam is discovered in her bed, the two are forbidden from seeing each other.

Grace's friend Isabel, still bitter from losing her brother Jack in "Shiver," becomes involved with Cole St. Clair, one of the pack's newest (were)wolves. Cole is a bitter, angry young rock star hellbent on self-destruction, and takes delight in razor-edged remarks and infidelities. He and his ex-bandmate Victor are anomalies in the werewolf world; Victor shifts several times an hour despite warm temperatures, and Cole is unable to shift at will and can't make the change stick. He finds an unexpected ally in the wounded Isabel. The lives of Sam, Grace, Isabel and Cole are intertwined throughout the novel, and all four serve as narrators, with several narrators sharing each short chapter.

The various narrations flow together fairly seamlessly and the silvery prose enchants, particularly the effective use of poetry by Rilke, Roethke, and Mandlestam, but "Linger" is plagued by some plot inconsistencies (continuity errors from "Shiver" that alter the story's timeline) and stretches where not much occurs. Cole, as one of the newest characters, is given a large share of the narrative, but comes across as two-dimensional for much of the story (given Cole's backstory, I found it hard to reconcile the depths of his personal agony with that of Sam, who had a much more disturbing childhood yet is much more well-adjusted). Also, a disturbing incident involving Isabel's father and one of the secondary characters seems forced (in the first book, the run-in with Tom Culpepper served an important plot purpose).

Stiefvater has a talent for poetry and stark imagery that brings the woods (and her characters) to vibrant life. Overall, Linger is a gripping, well-written read that will delight fans of the supernatural (and fans of werewolves in particular). The ending is clearly left open for "Forever," the third and final novel in the "Wolves of Mercy Falls" trilogy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than Shiver, 16 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Linger: 2 (Paperback)
I loved Linger even more than I loved Shiver which is quite impressive. On top of everything I said about Shiver this book had even more to offer.

Firstly it cleared up my complaint about Grace's parents quite neatly and I can now accept their attitude and absence in the first book as a necessity for the final story. An example of complaining about something before it's finished there, but I wasn't to know that at the time.

Secondly the introduction of the new wolf, Cole, and Isabel to the narrative mix added brilliantly to the depth of the writing and characters. The relationship between Isabel and Cole helped to define and show a different side to love than that between Sam and Grace and it also brought out elements of the characters that you had never seen before. Sam through Isabel's eyes for example, and the whole situation through a newcomer thrown in head-first to the deep end.

I loved Cole's character. He is horrible and flawed, lost, frightened and obnoxious. Everything you would expect him to be which makes him so brilliantly human despite the fact that sometimes he's furry and has four legs. I think he is possibly the most human character in the books and keeps the story grounded even when the fantasy romance of Sam and Grace threatens to take over.

Grace's secret is kept beautifully throughout the story too, even though many parts are from her viewpoint you are never certain what is going on because she is denying it to herself as well as everyone else for a lot of the time. This added an uneasy undercurrent to much of the story and resulted in me crying on more than one occasion as the emotions and tension flew around. (Much crying done on a busy train I might add, so I looked like a right idiot snivelling away behind a book.)

My only complaint in Shiver was cleared up in Linger so I now can't actually think of anything I didn't like.

5.0 out of 5 stars Review: Linger by Maggie Stiefvater, 31 Jan. 2013
What's Good About It

Well, you've already had me ranting about how great Shiver was. I won't bore you with the same spiel.

What was different about Linger? Well, it introduced two new viewpoints. We now not only hear from Sam and Grace, but from Cole and Isabel as well. Having Cole, this completely new character, thrown straight into the mix is a bit disorienting at first, but as ever, Maggie Stiefvater writes her different viewpoints so well. Despite the fact that he's not a terribly sympathetic character initially, you can't help but be sucked into his view of the world.

The werewolf mythology is developed even further, with new twists and turns on the temperature shifting thing. These developments were essential to keeping the story fresh, otherwise this would have been a stale rehash of Shiver. As it is, Stiefvater strikes the perfect balance between giving her readers more of the Sam/Grace relationship we've come to love, while injecting enough new and exciting to sustain the novel over its 416 pages, and the next 400 odd in the final installment.

Second books in trilogies often suffer simply for being the second book. There's no real sense of threat, because we know there has to be a third book. But Linger manages to avoid this. I think having the Isabel and Cole perspective introduced left it feeling like a new book, set in the same world, rather than a direct continuation. And by the end, the climactic scenes were so intense it was hard to believe everyone was going to make it to Forever.

Brilliant characters, tense narrative, and the wonderful balance between real life issues and the paranormal - Linger is every bit as good as Shiver, if not better. I now will be wishing my life away for this time next year to arrive so I can lay my hands on Forever.

What's Not So Good

Maggie Stiefvater's name is very hard to spell. I am a spelling moron.

Rating: 5/5

5.0 out of 5 stars Love lingers..., 22 Aug. 2011
C. Manning (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Linger: 2 (Paperback)
Freed of his wolf skin Sam and Grace finally have a chance at a future together, if they can overcome the obstacles in their present. Sam has been left with the responsibility of not only caring for the pack as a whole, but mentoring the new wolves Beck brought back to Mercy Falls. Grace struggling to deal with her parents suddenly taking a parental role and their new dislike of Sam. But neither realises that Grace is slowly slipping away...

This is the second book in the Wolves of Mercy Falls trilogy (the first being Shiver and the last Forever). I loved the first and couldn't wait to read this and it pretty much met my expectations. Shiver told the story of how Grace and Sam fell in love, and this continues that story on showing their relationship. Unlike the first book, however, this is less intimate introducing a wider cast and taking the focus wider.

The first sentence sets up the entire novel 'this is the story of a boy who used to be a wolf and a girl who was becoming one' so tension is introduced from the beginning as once more Sam and Grace's relationship comes with an expiry date. The story is well told but has a feeling of inevitability which carries through, and without the influence of the other characters (like Cole and Isabel) it wouldn't have been as enjoyable to read.

One of the most interesting parts is the new wolf Cole. I love his back story and it was great to see what could motivate someone to choose the werewolf way of life. It was also great how he brought a new perspective to the scientific aspect of being a werewolf and I can't wait to see how his theories carry on.

All in all this was a great read and I'm looking forward to Forever.

Plot: 9/10
Characters: 10/10
Ending: 9/10
Enjoyment: 9/10
Cover: 9/10

Overall: 46/50

4.0 out of 5 stars A real treat, 1 Aug. 2010
Chantal Lyons "C.S. Lyons" (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Linger: 2 (Paperback)
This is a werewolf story with a bit more soul than usual. It starts where Shiver left off, with Grace and Sam now expecting to live happily ever after. Of course 'happily ever after' is rather elusive for them.

I don't know how old Stiefvater is, or how long she's been writing for, but I did feel that her prose has matured slightly in this sequel (or perhaps I just read the first one too long ago). There are some beautifully-written lines, the kind that just feel right without being pretentious. The romance between Sam and Grace is artfully done; I hate cheesiness and there isn't any of that in this story. The relationships are very well done; Sam and Grace's, of course, but also between Grace and her neglecting parents (who you just want to slap, to be honest), and Grace and Isabel - interestingly, it's Isabel who became my favourite character in this book. She was just a bitter blonde in the first one who had lost her brother, but in the sequel she's become a friend somewhat to Grace, and is harsh and helpful in equal measure. Then there's Cole, one of the new wolves, whose character progression in the book is not what I expected it to be.

Another plus for the book is the humour - I can't recall being particularly amused at anything in the first book, but in this one, there were several sniggering moments. It's a bit more fun, in places.

Why four stars instead of five? The outcome was predictable. I know it would've been hard to make it unexpected, but I felt a teeny bit deflated at the end. Never mind though; the journey was still worth it. And I have no idea how the last book will turn out; will there be a happy ending??

3.0 out of 5 stars It was good, but not as good as Shiver, 27 Jun. 2011
This review is from: Linger: 2 (Paperback)
First of all I loved the first one. I loved the different take on the idea of them becoming wolves when it gets cold and that eventually they'll just stop shifting. In this book we pretty much get an idea of what's going to happen, in the prologue and the blurb. We're told what's going to happen at some point in this book, it just takes a long time to get there. I just felt that if in the first two pages you're going to give away whats pretty much going to happen, don't make me wait until the last 50 odd pages for everything to finally start falling into place. I felt like I was reading the whole book waiting for this to happen. The book was well written, it just didn't feel as though there was as much mystery as there was in Shiver. There are some unexpected twists, just not as good as Shiver.

I did like how Grace and Isabel had become friends, that showed some good character/relationship development and that is something I always like to see in books, that also goes with Sam and a new character Cole. This book is slow going but I recommend that you do keep at it because the end does litrally leave you wanting more. When I finished the book, I was dissapointed about having finished it, and that is a good book. So despite there being a lack of mystery and a slow pace, I do recommend you read Linger, espcially if you have read Shiver. I will read the last book, Forever. With the ending in this it's kinda hard not to!

4.0 out of 5 stars Very different from Shiver, 2 Nov. 2010
This review is from: Linger: 2 (Paperback)
I was very excited to read this book and felt like l was seeing a best friend who l hadn't seen for a while but everything was not as expected when l started to read. When l first picked up this book my first thought was 'Who is Cole?', l was at first disappointed to see this book wasn't just written from Sam's and Graces point of view but now Isabel's and Cole's point of view too. My main love for the first book was Sam and Grace and their relationship so l was now scared Maggie will not have focused enough on this relationship, this fear was mostly put aside but at some times l found the story line was not as much about them as l would of liked.
This book is also different from 'Shiver' as it is a lot slower paced and l wasn't as gripped as l was with 'Shiver' until the last 50 pages.
Apart from that l did enjoy this book, l think its hard for a author to write a second book as good as the first (which is hyped up in the readers mind when they loved the first one so much, like me l was probably expecting a lot)and l feel Maggie didn't live up to my high exceptions but nevertheless find myself excited about reading 'Forver' and would recommend this series!

Linger: 2
Linger: 2 by Maggie Stiefvater (Paperback - 21 July 2010)