5.0 out of 5 stars I was cold, I had a handful of snow, and I was human.
Published on 21 July 2010 by Doha

3.0 out of 5 stars A little heavy on the teenage angst
I will admit that I didn't read the first book in the series, but actually it probably would not have changed my opinion on this one.

Published 4 months ago by Toodles Book Club

5.0 out of 5 stars I was cold, I had a handful of snow, and I was human., 21 July 2010
Doha (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Linger: 2 (Paperback)
What can I say? I have waited for this book for SO LONG (the worst part of the fangirl job-description), and it made its way across the Atlantic for me, and I've read it and I love it and I have no idea how to a) start this review, or b) write it without spoiling it for everybody. For everyone who is waiting for this book, and everyone who loved Shiver, and everyone who loves Sam and Grace, and everyone who was so ready to cry their eyes out at the end of the previous book - you won't be disappointed. You really really won't.

After Shiver, I admit I was a little bit doubtful about where else this story would or could go, how it wouldn't be repeat of it but in reverse - I had faith in Maggie (even though I thought Lament was a little shaky), but judging from Shiver, I couldn't see where this was set up to go. In fact, it was a while before Maggie revealed it HAD a sequel (and the SEQUEL had a sequel).

Linger takes a step up from Shiver and really works its momentum, introducing two new first-person narrative voices in addition to Grace and Sam. We've already met prickly and spunky Isabel, and now we meet Cole, a new wolf - and a complicated jerk - creating an ambitious four-way narrative.

Can I take a moment to do some Isabel-fangirling? How awesome is she? The girl's a...not a nice person, but totally honest with it...and actually, it turns out she's not such a...not-nice person after all, but she would rather have you think that she is. Grace's history gives her character depth and complexity, but with Isabel, it's her personality. It was skilful contrast at its best, and the reason why you could laugh your way through so much of it.

Grace: What are you feeding them?
Isabel: Babies.

This. This is why I really like Isabel. I like tough girls in fiction: the ones that give no quarter but secretly have hearts in places where they hope nobody will ever discover them. I noticed several times how the description of her expressions were telling you...she looked `inadvertently cruel', she had a smile that `always looked like a smirk', her `sheer insensitivity'. In some ways you feel like she has all the appearance of a, er, not-nice person without any real evidence that she actually is one.

You know what? I want to be FRIENDS with Isabel, the girl makes me laugh like a chimney-sweep on drugs. BE MY FRIEND, ISABEL.

You know what else? Even though it was all of the things Shiver was - lyrical and quiet and a necklace of moments - it was also really funny. I laughed to myself a LOT (on the bus, as usual), even at the most serious parts - Isabel's a magic ingredient. And this is another thing that was just great about Linger. A writer with less intuition would hamstring themselves by taking it all too seriously - boys who turn into wolves, wolves who turn into boys, girls who love them...it can all get very angsty very quickly - or it can go Twilight - but it doesn't.

It's not that it's `real' or realistic - I mean, hello, it's about werewolves, and werewolves somewhat lack ecological validity - but what is at the core of it is its honesty. The characters are far from perfect - they might be self-involved jerks, but they are unflinchingly honest with it. This is why you can love them - they never pretend to be anything else, not in their own heads. And that's true for every one of the main characters - their narratives burn with it. You can love them because you can be them.

In other books, first-person narratives often suffer a loss of quality because...I think the best way I can describe it is to go a little academic and talk about something called `social desirability distortion', which is jargonese for when people make themselves appear how they think they ought to be, rather than how they truly are. Writers are serial perpetrators where this is concerned; with or without realising it, characters are idealised and `tidied up' - even their flaws and inconsistencies.

Live a little or live a lot, you know the things you do, say or think aren't always consonant with each other: consistency is a goal and a work in progress, it rarely truly exists in a person as completely as a lot of books would have you believe. So much depends not only on the person you are, but on the situation, the different internal pressures that might make you react in different ways to the same situation - there are so many variables, so many things, that even your inconsistencies must lack consistency, and `the person you are' is as much a sum of your contradictions as anything else.

These four - Sam, Grace, Isabel and Cole - they are so different, and yet in all their differences, they remain steadfastly honest characters, and so earnestly human. And at its heart, I feel like this is what this whole story comes down to: not just staying human, but *being* human - even when you don't want to be, even if it kills you.

On finishing this book...I feel very tired and very sad, and about a hundred years old. I wonder if anyone will be able to read this without it sharpening any pain or grief or loss they might have felt in their own lives. Linger is like a song, aching and wistful and beautiful. It happened that I was finishing the book off to the soundtrack of someone playing `Memory` from Andrew Lloyd Webber's `Cats' on their piano, and it's become woven into my memory of it, its theme.

And you know what? It's perfect.

---
This review was originally written for therockpool (dot) wordpress (dot) com. If you liked it, head over and enjoy it with all its links and footnotes. Because footnotes are awesome.

3.0 out of 5 stars A little heavy on the teenage angst, 15 April 2014
This review is from: Linger: 2 (Kindle Edition)

As it was a busy time at work, I decided that I would be able to listen to this rather than be slower and read a copy, so I borrowed my copy from the local library. Was the difference between listening and reading any different?

Not really. In point of fact the narration was very good, and it didn't detract from the reading experience.

Towards the end I did find that the teenage angst in the plot began to grate a little, however it was a reasonable offering of Young Adult fiction.

I also should comment on the weird German quote at the beginning - I couldn't see the point of it, and didn't feel it added to the tone of the book at all.

I will give the third book in the Mercy Falls series a go, just to see how it all pans out.

5.0 out of 5 stars The series just gets better and better, 26 July 2013
This review is from: Linger: 2 (Kindle Edition)
I read the first one and loved it but linger is a lot better! Lots more action and I love how you get not only graces and sans point of view but Coles and Isabelle as well! Can't wait to read forever it should be amazing:)

4.0 out of 5 stars Loved It More Than Shiver!, 18 April 2013
This review is from: Linger: 2 (Paperback)
When I saw that Shiver was being made into a film I decided I had to read the trilogy. I really enjoyed Shiver. I really liked the characters, Sam and Grace.

However, I must say I loved the characters in Linger even more. There was something about Cole that I just loved. Also, it was great to see Isabel in a more friendly way. I love how we still get a bit of story about Sam and Grace, but there's other things going on in this book with Cole and Isabel.

I'm really enjoying this series and would definitely recommend. I'm just about to start reading Forever (Wolves of Mercy Falls) which is the last book in the trilogy.

I'm really glad I've read this and can't wait to see what new gripping story the author has wrote for us! She really has a way of making you want to keep reading. I think I may read her other books.

I give this 8 out of 10!

5.0 out of 5 stars Linger review, 14 Dec 2010
This review is from: Linger: 2 (Paperback)
This is one very brilliant book. From first sight it doesnt look like much, just another fantasy romance novel. It is everything but this. The storyline is so engrossing that once you start to read it is very hard to stop! It follows the story about an ex-werewolf and his girlfriend, however his girlfriend is getting strangely sick and nobody knows why. The tension is built up incredibly well as there is this huge mystery as to what is happening to Grace. The book is told with each chapter being from the viewpoint of a different character. This is very effective in building the tension up even more as once your about to find something out from once character, you suddenly switch to another. There is about 5 different characters, all with different stories and backgrounds, all telling different sides of the story, which adds to the excitement as all the characters find out the mysteries in the story at the same time as eachother and us. Therefore we, as readers, are very involved in the story right from the start, which makes the book exciting and extremely engrossing.

This is one book that you really wont be able to put down. Even if you havent read the first book ('Shiver') the story is still very clear to understand and still as exciting. It is an amazing book which actually makes you fear for the characters as you are so involved with the story, and see it from everyones point of view. It has a fantastic cliff-hanger ending ready for the next book.The ending is a complete unexpected shock for us and the characters in the story, and leaves you thinking about the book for days after you've finished it. A very good read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Complex, brilliant and sad, 2 Oct 2010
Beanie Luck Spud (Cotswolds) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Linger: 2 (Paperback)
I am not a fan of people that give away the storyline of a book in the synopsis so all i will say is that i loved this book, i am 37 and i still fell in love with the characters and the story as i think that true love can be recognised by people of all ages.
Big surprise at the end tho.
Enjoy it, i did !!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Mmmm...don't read them back to back, 29 Oct 2010
This review is from: Linger: 2 (Paperback)
Well, as I read this series later than they were published, I had the fortune of reading them back-to-back. I'm not sure this was the best way to really enjoy the books.

After finishing 'Shiver' I couldn't wait to see how Sam and Grace's relationship would progress, but whilst reading 'Linger' I was kept waiting for those moments until I realised they weren't going to appear! Linger takes us on a whole different journey away from the main charachters of Shiver with the addition of Cole and further insight into Isabel. To be honest, I speed read most of the book as I just wanted to find if I was right about what would happen - I was - and so probably missed a lot of the detail and plot development that makes the book better for others.

Maybe I am a little too old to be reading teen fiction (mid 20s) and that's why I lost interest. I will read 'Forever' when it comes out though just to complete the trilogy. To refer back to my initial point, I do believe the book would have been more enjoyable had I had to wait through the suspense for the publication of 'Linger'.

4.0 out of 5 stars I really didn't like Shiver, this was so different!!, 1 Oct 2010
Claire Mill "Cem" (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Linger: 2 (Paperback)
Linger is the second book in the Wolves of Mercy Falls series from Maggie Stiefvater. I made no secret of my dislike of book one, Shiver. I barely got through it, and then just about everyone who was reading it around the same time was loving it and I was wondering what the heck I had missed. It wasn't bad exactly, but it was all romance and nothing else. Sometimes, I can deal with that, but I didn't like Sam. He was too sappy and soft. I didn't like Grace much more, so between them, I had no interest in seeing if the relationship would work or not. I think, had Maggie not been coming to the UK, not been taking part in a joint talk about writing werewolves with Jennifer Lynn Barnes (author of the awesome Raised by Wolves) in a town close to me, I wouldn't have bothered reading Linger. But she did, and as such I felt I should probably read book 2 before I went. To say I'm surprised in my opinion of Linger would be an understatement. I liked it. A lot. Verged on loving it at times (possibly more than I'm currently willing to admit...)

Linger continues Sam and Grace's story, but it involves two other characters as well: Isabel, and Cole one of Beck's new wolves from Shiver. So instead of being from two different view points, the story is told from four. I could very happily have read a book solely from Isabel and Cole's POV's. I still don't like Same or Grace very much, they grated on my nerves several times, but when ever it switched to Cole or Isabel, I struggled to put it down. Both characters are, to me at any rate, far more interesting, with a much bigger story to tell.

Isabel is obviously dealing with the death of her brother still. While Cole is, well, more than a little damaged for many reasons. But unlike Sam who is kinda lost in sadness a lot, Cole is a straight up, erm, jerk, who makes it clear right from the start. Damaged, werewolf, being a total jerk because it's easier? Help. I totally fell for him. And Isabel with her issues and often less than warm personality I also liked. I a lot. I felt I could actually connect with these characters, get involved in their issues. I wanted to fight for them, hug them when they needed it and slap them when they deserved it as well. I'm sure it comes as no surprise to anyone that there is a little romance between the two. But what surprised me, was how little there was between them in that sense. Unlike Grace and Sam who have only ever had romance between them, these two have a whole lot more going on with them. Thank goodness. I don't mean to sound harsh saying that, but for me, it's needed. It's the whole reason why I liked this book so much.

And, I confess, I did like some of the story with Grace and Sam as well. It played well in to the rest, fitting with Cole and Isabel. Actually, there is more focus on Grace and Sam still, but I paid less attention to them. I wish there had been more of Isabel and Cole, more of their story, because while I am now interested in what's going to happen with Grace and Sam (something I really didn't think I could care about), I'm still far more interested and invested in Isabel and Cole's story.

I found Shiver pretty predictable, and because I didn't care enough about the characters, I was happy to skip to the end and see if I was right about it (which I was). Linger was similar, not in plot, but in how early you can figure out the outcome. I guessed early on what I thought would happen, but unlike Shiver, I wanted to see it unfold for Cole and Isabel, I didn't want to skip over anything. I wasn't wrong in my predictions, although there were a couple little things I hadn't guessed, but they weren't a surprise either. I'm already predicting the outcome of the final book, Forever (out 2011), but I am looking forward to it now, I want to see how it unfolds. I think my biggest disappointment with this book (which, admittedly I'm not too disappointed with cause hey, never expected to even like the book) is that while I felt Sam and Grace's story kind of got to a suitable 'stopping point' for the end of this book, I didn't feel the same about Cole and Isabel. I felt they got a little forgotten at the end when Grace and Sam's story took over completely again. But, like I said, I didn't expect to like this, so I'm not that disappointed really, just would have been nice to have more of them. Overall, very pleased with this book and while I don't think I can really recommend Shiver (plenty love it, I'm sure my best friend who has it but hasn't yet started will adore it) because of how much I didn't enjoy it, I would certainly recommend this. The internal conflict both Isabel and Cole face, and the way they play off each other, Sam and Grace, is very well done and makes for a very interesting story I found oddly hard to turn away from.

5.0 out of 5 stars a great read, 28 May 2014
This review is from: Linger: 2 (Kindle Edition)
innovative light reading to take you away from reality. a great book, second in the series and Ive ordered the third

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING BOOKS, 24 April 2014
Susana De Freitas "SuDFB" (London - UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Linger: 2 (Paperback)
These books are amazing I fell in love with the characters and just could not put the book down, loved it.

Linger: 2
Linger: 2 by Maggie Stiefvater (Paperback - 21 July 2010)
7.99