5.0 out of 5 stars Better than a diary of a wimpy kid
Published on 21 Sep 2011 by Moose Papoose

3.0 out of 5 stars Sweetening the pill for reluctant readers
Many kids need a lot of incentive to read these days and this book has it in spades - humour that older primary school children can relate to, text broken up by different fonts and headings and, best of all, abundant wacky doodles on almost every page. It's a slightly larger format than similar books around - the phenomenally successful Wimpy Kid series, for instance, and...
Published on 10 Oct 2011 by Sensible Cat

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than a diary of a wimpy kid, 21 Sep 2011
Moose Papoose (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I let my 10 year old son be the judge of this book and he was far from being disappointed. A big fan of the Wimpy Kid series, he was soon sniggering away. He can relate to it entirely, particularly the doodling and homework - it is a cross between a comic and a novel in itself. The author is very clever, and has a gift to get inside the brain of a small boy. The Brilliant World is suitably rebellious and funny at the same time. We will read more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 23 Sep 2011
S. Hammond "Steve" (Frinton-On-Sea, Essex, UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Gave this to my son one saturday afternoon and he sat and read it solidly for well over an hour giggling away and reading out bits that struck him as funny as he went. He enjoys to read but i've never known him to sit and read flat out for such a long period of time. Easy to read style with lovely illustrations throughout. Will be looking at book two for christmas!

5.0 out of 5 stars Relief for an unkeen reader., 12 April 2011
This review is from: The Brilliant World of Tom Gates (Paperback)
It is the Easter Holidays and my 10 year old son is not into reading his suggested book from school so to keep him reading I suggested he read this for a bit of a break but to keep him reading. He says he is really enjoying it and is impressed by how much he is getting through each night compaired to his school book. He likes the story, keeps quoting bits to his brother it's so good and keeps telling me how much he has read. It's like a cross between a comic and a novel, easy to read and great for curbing my son's reluctance. There should be far more of this style of book. My other son waded through all the Diary of a Wimpy Kid and Captain Underpants books, gained huge confidence in his reading and is now on novels. I think The Brilliant World of Tom Gates is ticking all the same boxes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliantly Funny, 20 Oct 2011
Sarah A. I. Davis (wolves, england) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Both of my children, ages 9 and 11 have thoroughly enjoyed reading this book, the illustrations break up the text nicely and compliment the story so that my reluctant reader raced through the book, laughing out load, unaware of just how much she was reading!
If you like the style of the Wimpy Kid books, you'll definitely enjoy this.

5.0 out of 5 stars More books like this please!, 9 May 2013
H. Old (Kent, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Brilliant World of Tom Gates (Paperback)
Brilliant book for visual learners and dyslexic children. The font is perfect and writing spread out making it easier to read for children who have difficulties with dense type. Loads of little pictures really add to the fun and appeal of the book. I used this last night with a very reluctant reader aged 11 who I work with, and who usually hates all fiction. He will read non-fiction but never a story. He read the first page and was already interested and hooked - so much so that we then read another 5 pages together. It was great to see him laughing and enjoying the style and story so far. The fact that he could identify so much with the main character was what made it so engaging for him I think. Tom Gates is just like him! I hope that now Liz Pichon has shown what can be done with this format that many others will use it so that visual children everywhere can have a wider choice of books to read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good easy read in Wimpy Kid style, 5 Oct 2011
G. Horsham (UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The Brilliant World of Tom Gates is very entertaining and contains lots of drawings, by Tom, to keep the young reader captivated. In essence it is a story about Tom Gates through his school years and what he thinks of school, mainly his annoying teachers and Amy, the girl who sits next to him.

If you like the Diary of a Wimpy Kid books then you will like this too, as it is similar in style. Although a good easy read, it is perhaps not something that you will want to read again immediately, hence why just 4 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant!, 22 April 2011
This review is from: The Brilliant World of Tom Gates (Paperback)
I'm nine, and I spent a book token on this book for the Easter holidays. I finished it in less than two days because it's so good. It's about a boy who doodles and reads comics until he's moved to the front of the class when he gets to sit next to a clever girl called Amy and a nosy idiot called Marcus. The style is similar to the Wimpy Kid books, and I would recommend it to people who enjoy that sort of book. I can't wait to read the other one!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 28 Aug 2012
This review is from: The Brilliant World of Tom Gates (Paperback)
my mum bought me this book for reading on holiday and books 2 and 3, i finished all of them together in 3 days, these were fun and easy and i would reccomend them to anyone aged between 8 and 13

5.0 out of 5 stars 8 year old boy loved it, 15 Dec 2011
Beansmummy (Oxfordshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This has been compared with 'Diary of a Wimpy Kid', and it does have many similarities. The presentation of the pages with relatively little (handwriting-effect) text and lots of doodle-style drawings is appealing to children (especially boys?), and my son certainly enjoyed it. He finished it in an evening, and has now borrowed the next book from the library.

Fun book, easy to read, resonates with pre-teen children, and would get reluctant readers reading. It won't keep anyone going for long, but makes for a light break between more Morpurgo et al.

5.0 out of 5 stars my review of the brillant world of tom gates, 9 Feb 2014
I loved this book because it is so funny. I was glued this book and finished it withen 2 days. I liked about this book it was imaginative and entertaining. I cant wait to read the rest of the books in the serise. I think the 5 stars are well deserved. The author has wrote a very good book and the book is very popular in my school.I liked the character tom because he always drew something funny or silly. Also i found funny he drew a picture of the teacher with a mostache and she gave him a detenchtion.What i dont like about him he listens to rock and is always up to mistichef but i dont mind that because when he is being a troublemaker it is always funny. I dont liked marcus he is always winding up tom and derek his best friend he seems like a wind up like my brother.

The Brilliant World of Tom Gates
The Brilliant World of Tom Gates by Liz Pichon (Paperback - 4 April 2011)
3.85