4.0 out of 5 stars Tudor history for young ladies.
Published 12 months ago by Lola

2.0 out of 5 stars hard to get in
hard to get in to
Published 26 days ago by Michelle Twine

4.0 out of 5 stars Tudor history for young ladies., 5 Aug 2013
Lola (London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Henry VIII's Wives (My Royal Story) (Paperback)
I picked up this book as I am an avid reader of Tudor history. It was clear within the first couple of pages that the book is for a younger audience, and I think it fulfils its purpose brilliantly. I can imagine young school girls (of pre-teen age) would be fascinated with this, truth be told, rather uncomplicated account of facts and simple writing. But what matters is the fact that British history is correctly presented (facts and dates) and I believe many young girls will learn more from this book (and the whole series) then from their school books.

Even thought the author tried to be historically accurate, there were a couple of mistakes in the narrative (already on page 5 there is a mentioning of the "fork" - there were no forks used in 1536 - Henry VIII and his court still used their hands to handle the food).

Not for adults.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Book!, 15 Jun 2013
This review is from: Henry VIII's Wives (My Royal Story) (Paperback)
This book is very interesting and it is very historically accurate, and I love how it includes the bit at the end where Elisabeth and Lady Jane Grey are living with Thomas Seymour.The events, even the small ones, actually did happen. So it is a entertaining book but you also learn so much from it. It is also thicker then the other ''My Story books.'' The only thing is it is a bit hard to get into. Tudor fans or History fans will love it.

2.0 out of 5 stars hard to get in, 5 July 2014
hard to get in to

5.0 out of 5 stars Happy customer, 21 Jan 2014
This review is from: Henry VIII's Wives (My Royal Story) (Paperback)
My 11 year old daughter wanted this book after getting money for her birthday. When we looked in the high street book stores she didn't have enough money to pay for it. We checked online and it was much cheaper. It arrived quickly and in excellent condition. My daughter loves these books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Book, 6 Dec 2013
This review is from: Henry VIII's Wives (My Royal Story) (Paperback)
Bought this for my daughter and she had it read within hours of getting it - will probably have to get some more!

5.0 out of 5 stars A great stimulus to reading and study. Shame about the cover., 25 Jan 2013
This review is from: Henry VIII's Wives (My Royal Story) (Paperback)
My 7-year old granddaughter has been a great fan of the series since she read the Anne Boleyn volume in the older, small-format version: this is now also available in a single volume with Catherine of Aragon, allowing the whole story of the six wives to be followed in two books. She presented it to her class in a show and tell session. Although the series has tended toward differentiation by gender, boys at school actually took the book away to read too, so clearly a good story appeals even if the cover is not exactly calculated to win over male readers. Alison Prince has been around as a children's writer and historical novelist for about five decades, so you know you are in safe hands. The style is fairly plain and the focus is on the history itself. In this, it is very different from, say, Harriet Castor's VIII, which is much more literary and aimed at older readers. This volume seems as popular as the others and is being re-read as I write - which is itself a recommendation. It seems to reinforce detailed knowledge of the history and to encourage follow-up reading of non-fiction.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not omnibus but new story, 20 July 2011
This review is from: Henry VIII's Wives (My Royal Story) (Paperback)
It's year 1536. Ten Year old Beatrice began writing this diary. She met King Henry's new Queen Jane Seymour.
Beatrice's friend Eva (narrator of "Catherine of Aragon") and Elinor (narrator of "Anne Boleyn and Me") present Beatrice their diary.
Later Beatrice served Anne of Cleves, Catherine Howard and Catherine Parr. So we will know all of Henry's wives.

3.0 out of 5 stars bought it for my daughter, found it OK quality writing, 14 Jan 2012
This review is from: Henry VIII's Wives (My Royal Story) (Paperback)
I bought this book for my daughter since she loves the series. I read it myself just to see what she was up to. It is a very plain account of the events happening in Henry VIII's times. I was not particularly impressed by the writing. Having said that my 9 year old daughter loved it and continues to read books from the series.

I have read some more books from the series and still think this is not the strongest one of the bunch.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best my story book ever, 3 April 2013
This review is from: Henry VIII's Wives (My Royal Story) (Paperback)
This is by far the best my story book I have read! It is also really historically accurate! The only fault for me is that it shows paragraphs from the two other books. I have read Anne Boleyn and me but I haven't read Catherine of Aragon yet so Henry 8ths wives spoiled what happens in Catherine of Aragon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Henry VIII's Wives, 30 May 2012
This review is from: Henry VIII's Wives (My Royal Story) (Paperback)
I am nine years old. I think this book is brilliant!!! I read the previous one, Anne Boleyn and Me, so it totally made sense. Although not all of the things necessarily true, some things had some really realistic things that sound like it really did happen. I reccomend this book, and it can really help you if you're learning about the Tudors or Henry VIII's court.It is written as a diary, not a normal book.

Henry VIII's Wives (My Royal Story)
Henry VIII's Wives (My Royal Story) by Alison Prince (Paperback - 7 Mar 2011)
5.59