on 26 February 2011
I have owned this book for over a year now, but it is one I do not tire of. Mary fills her diary with the interesting notions of a girl two years younger then me, who I relate to, as well as detailed accounts of style that prove great for the imagination. Her friendships within the French court are charming, and though the plotline gets continuously knocked down, I found it wonderous and fitting for such a dramatic young Queen. The illustrations helped bring everyone to life, as well. Not as perfect as Anastasia or Elizabeth in the series, but still a heartfelt diary of one of Great Britain's famous Queens, who though foolish, provided centuries of interest and many wonderful novels. This is one of those tales that will still appeal to me in a decade. If a stylish, historical read takes your fancy, read this and fall in love.
on 31 July 2002
The Royal Diaries series is a godsend for kids who are interested in history but don't want to read an endless list of dates and facts. This book, however, takes the biscuit as far as I'm concerned. The book is interesting, exciting and really makes you sympathise with Mary. Kathryn Lasky is a wonderful author and this book is the ultimate proof of that. The book, like the other books in the series, concentrates on the character's childhood. Mary is the Queen of Scotland, but is being raised at the French court which is where her future husband, the Dauphin or heir to the throne Francois (NOT Francis as we are often led to believe) lives. Mary's life is diversified by moves from chateau to chateau, four loyal ladies-in-waiting, an Italian queen she despises, a French royal mistress she adores,a guard she has a crush on, and a fiance who she is just good friends with. This excellent book captivates the reader by using the age-old allure of poison, mystery, intrigue and love while always staying in touch with the complicated workings of a teenage mind.
on 22 November 2014
Mary is crowned Queen of Scotland at a very early age and is promised in marriage to Francis, Dauphin to the French throne. Since the age of five Mary is sent to live at the French court where she comes across much intrigue and spying eventually marrying Francis on his fifteenth birthday, one of the poorer My Story books, almost fell asleep reading it.
on 11 March 2012
I enjoy the my royal story series so I was overjoyed when this came in the post. It is a great story because it is described well however calling all the ladies in waiting Mary is making it complicated. Despite this you warm to the characters and amazon delivered it quickly. Not as good as some others in the series but still a fab read.
on 7 June 2014
It is as good history about queen's Mary childhood with a easy to read vocabulary. I did not read the abstract before buying so I got a little disappointed cause I was looking for a book about Mary's whole life. This one is more suitable for children.
on 14 December 2010
I read this first before any other in the series, and it does give an mesmorising first impression to the series. However, there are a few flaws that stop me giving the book five stars!
Firstly, Mary seems a bit vain. Most of the book includes details about her dresses, earrings, makeup, but leaves out slightly vital information about the occasion that could have helped the novel. And Mary complains quite so, about Queen Catherine (de Medici) and Francis's failing health, and about the distance between her and her own Mother. She writes about confessing her sins and treating the Queen fairly and in a better manner, but Mary just seems to come back days later and write bad things about her mother-in-law. It got confusing at one point!
Despite this, the book excels in the dates and events and characters, which are all true. Though one event is slightly overrated, it was filled with enough drama to keep you thinking, and was actually quite clever! The book draws to a close on the date of Mary's twelfth birthday and first communion, and is followed by a nice selection of pictures and family trees and extra details. These were wonders to discover.
Overall, I do rate this book as a good read. The age limit is right, the facts are correct and the plot is clever and keeps you hooked. Not the best, perhaps a little dissapointing in comparison, but all the same - stunning!
on 7 February 2010
I bought this novel for my birthday, being fascinated with the Stuart and Tudor line, and I recomenned this to girls (boys might like it, but maybe not) at the age of 9-14. The plot is simple, but is woven into a fantastic historical read that gives you a strong, positive insight into 1553-55 and French lifestyle, which wows and continues to amaze the pre-teen, teenage mind of Queen Mary of Scots. She unveils many twists, which seem so real that, as a 12-year-old reader interested much in thsi era of history,they almost feel like true events, and I'm sure that if you read it, you would feel that too. This book engulfs you with its mind-blowing plot, and Kathryn Lasky proves a brilliant writer. I'd read the Elizabteh Tudor, by Kathryn, too, and that is similar and also incredible. For any woman/man/girl/boy tempted by this book, I say BUY IT NOW!! You will never regret it - promise you that - because this historical children novel has the twists, bitter sweetness and facts to wow any person.
on 2 January 2013
Bought for my 10 and 11 year old grand-daughters this book and five similar ones have given the girls a great insight into life during the period the book refers to.
on 6 December 2013
My daughter is obsesed with mary Queen of Scots so this book was perfect for her. good way of learning a bit of history.
on 4 April 2014
This book was for my granddaughter (13yo). She rated it 'cool', and as good as the rest of the series.