Zog

4.0 out of 5 stars Let Zog entertain you
Our household have been massive Julia Donaldson and Axel Scheffler fans ever since our eldest was nearly one and we bought The Gruffalo. Even though our boys are now 4 and 6, and they don't request these books as much as they used to...I still felt that I had to get Zog when I saw it.

Zog is all about a young dragon at Dragon School. He's really very keen and...
Published on 21 Sep 2010 by A. Milne

3.0 out of 5 stars Great female role model
A major draw back with Donaldson's books is the repetitive text - it gets a bit tedious if you have to read the book to your kids repeatedly - although they need / enjoy that. Anyway, my kids (4&7) have loved this book for the last 3 years or so - it's perfect for when they need to move on from basic texts. I like that it has a strong role model female (I won't spoil the...
Published 5 months ago by 2swedes

4.0 out of 5 stars Let Zog entertain you, 21 Sep 2010
A. Milne "themilnes" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Zog (Hardcover)

Zog is all about a young dragon at Dragon School. He's really very keen and tries his best with all of his lessons, but somehow things keep going wrong and he keeps having accidents. Luckily, every time he gets into a scrape a mysterious girl comes along and fixes him up with plasters and bandages etc. Finally, Zog has to attempt the hardest task of all - capturing a princess - and finds that he's really not very good at it. He's feeling very sorry for himself when along comes the girl again - can she save the day this time?

Of course, as you'd expect this book has a happy ending...although I've only given it 4 stars instead of 5 because the ending felt a little bit forced somehow and our little boys didn't immediately fully understand it. However, that said, it's still a lovely rhyming text that mostly trips off the tongue and the pictures, as ever, are a joy to behold. There are so many little details in the illustrations that we could sit for ages whilst the boys point out all the insects, animals and other goings on in the background.

All in all, I would recommend this book to anyone with little ones as you generally can't go wrong with a Julia/Axel book. However, if you've not yet read "Room on the Broom", "Gruffalo" or "The Snail and the Whale" by the same authors then I would recommend those even more highly than this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another hit from the Donaldson & Scheffler "dream team", 19 Aug 2010
Simon Newton (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Zog (Hardcover)
Well, they've done it again.

This is a lovely book which appeals to both boys and girls. Our almost 4-year-old boy enjoys the "dragony-ness"(!) of it, and I've tested it on a wider audience by reading it to his pre-school class who all loved the illustrations and the trademark Donaldson rhyming story. The story is simple to understand but complex enough to prompt questions from keen pre-schoolers and the illustrations are full of lovely details. It makes excellent bedtime reading as it's just the right length to be part of a "2 story" session!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 5 Aug 2010
S Riaz "S Riaz" (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
This review is from: Zog (Hardcover)
Another winner by Donaldson. My 3 year old daughter cheered when the Princess did not want to be rescued! Brilliant book and appealed to my 5 year old son too, who liked the dragons. As always, an excellent buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another brilliant book, 10 Aug 2010
This review is from: Zog (Hardcover)
Zog is another brilliant book. My son (almost 3 yrs old) just loves the story and laughs at Zog's mishaps. Not only is it a story about dragons (always a big hit) but we have counting too. My son has also recognised the similarity between Zog and the dragon in "Room on the Broom". Great for bedtime reading as the gentle rhyming verses are soft and soothing when little ones are drifting off to sleep!

4.0 out of 5 stars Not the most rhythmic, but another enjoyable story from Donaldson, 24 Oct 2010
Seren Ade (UK) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Zog (Hardcover)
This is another fun, appealing story from Julia Donaldson, with illustrations provided by Axel Scheffler (whose style is so clearly recognisable that even 2 year olds can spot the cover of the book and recognise it as a 'Gruffalo').

It's a fun story to read to my group of preschoolers, though not one of their favourites - it isn't quite as rhythmic as 'The Gruffalo', 'Room on the Broom', 'The Snail and the Whale' or 'Tiddler' - but I rather enjoy some of the concepts. The dragon-theme of the whole book is very appealing to youngsters, but this is arguably the most message-filled of the Donaldson stories to date.

There are dragons, knights and princesses - but, led by the princess, all are ultimately determined to buck their stereotypical story-tale roles. The princess doesn't want to be a princess, since it's kind of boring being a damsel in distress. Instead, she'd rather be a doctor and help people - and her rebellion leads Zog (the titular dragon) and her would-be rescuer knight to also reveal that they would prefer to help people, instead of embracing their expected violent career paths.

5.0 out of 5 stars Julia Donaldson does it again, 19 Nov 2010
This review is from: Zog (Hardcover)
Zog is a great hit with my granddaughters aged 3 and 5!

By the end of my week long visit, I and the two little ones were almost word perfect, the story was read so many times. There is a good gender message in this, too, when Princess Pearl states:

"Don't rescue me! I won't go back to being a pricess
And prancing round the palace in a silly frilly dress"...

She wants to be a doctor! A welcome challenge to the endless promotion of 'princess' aspirations.

There is also lots of detail to spark discussion, in Axel Scheffler's fun illustrations. Julia Donaldson and Axel Scheffler remain a winning combination.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, as usual., 21 Nov 2010
A. Lopich (Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Zog (Hardcover)
This book is indeed an excellent creation (yet again) by perfect combination of J.Donaldson and A.Scheffler. It's funny, clever and somewhat educational, about choosing a new career even if you are dragon. We read this book with my 3 year old son very regularly and every time it is an entertaining time spending. I definitely recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank God for Zog!, 18 Sep 2010
This review is from: Zog (Hardcover)
Julia Donaldson and Alex Scheffler have done it again! Zog is a fantastic read. My children both 8 and 2 respectively love it. We bought it a week ago and already it's looking dogeared and very well read- about 50 times and counting. It's got the lot, Dragons, mishaps, a princess and even a school teacher who reminds me of my own childhood one...Yes, she was a bit of a dragon too! The story rolls off your tongue so smoothly that even my youngest is repeating some of her favourite phrases. Please Julia and Alex, give us a squeal.

5.0 out of 5 stars We love Zog!!!!, 15 Sep 2014
This review is from: Zog (Paperback)
My daughter already has Zog and absolutely loves it, at 2 and 1/2 years old she knows the whole story off by heart, so do I after reading it every night and most afternoon naps for the last 3 months. After a recent sleepover at her friends house, my daughter took Zog and my friend had to read it twice before the girls would go to sleep, so I have just brought Zog for my friends little girl's birthday.
We love Zog in our house although I am trying to encourage other books so we don't get all Zogged out lol
I highly recommend Zog, it is a fun and interesting read with lovely pictures to help capture young imaginations as well as princesses.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another hit from the creators of the Gruffalo, 11 Sep 2010
denisee (Cheshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Zog (Hardcover)
Fantastic new book from the creators of the Gruffalo - my son (4) loves it and it is now the bedtime favourite.

Zog
Zog by Julia Donaldson (Hardcover - 6 Sep 2010)