5.0 out of 5 stars Courtesy of Teens Read Too
Years ago, Grace was attacked by a starving wolf pack, and only survived because one wolf, the one with brilliant yellow eyes, protected her. Ever since then she's watched for "her" wolf each winter, caught in a longing she can't quite explain. Then one fall a boy appears on her porch, injured, with those same yellow eyes. Grace knows he is her wolf.

Grace...
Published on 23 July 2009 by TeensReadToo

1.0 out of 5 stars Worst book I have ever read.
Published 17 months ago by bookfanatic101

5.0 out of 5 stars Courtesy of Teens Read Too, 23 July 2009
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Shiver (Hardcover)

Grace feels more connected to Sam than anyone else in her life, and Sam would do anything for her. But right from the beginning, a shadow looms over their time together. As the weather gets colder, it's harder and harder for Sam to stay human. And he's sure that this time, when he turns into a wolf, it will be for good.

SHIVER is a melancholy, romantic novel with equal parts tenderness and passion. Readers will find themselves swept up in Grace and Sam's unfolding relationship as they are finally able to talk and touch, and struggle to hold on to what little time they have together. The book is filled with gorgeous imagery that comes alive in your mind, and adds to the sense of fleeting beauty.

Some may find the story a little slow-moving: many of the scenes are simply Grace and Sam being together, and of the few subplots that increase the suspense, all but one are dropped with little or no resolution. But the book is well worth picking up just for the character study of a boy growing up torn between human and animal worlds, and the main characters' chemistry and frantic attempts to hold off Sam's change will keep appreciative readers glued to the page.

Recommended for paranormal fans who prefer thoughtfulness and simmering emotion to action and violence.

Reviewed by: Lynn Crow

1.0 out of 5 stars Worst book I have ever read., 6 Feb 2013
This review is from: Shiver (Paperback)
I didn't have any expectations for this book and I'm glad I didn't. I bought it on a random buy. I travel a lot and need books to get me through the journeys. The characters in this book are unbelievable and are not built up well. The love story started from nothing and was not one to be jealous of, such as in the books of Twilight and the Kelley Armstrong series. Even the plot was poor and uninteresting. I have never before in my whole life had to stop reading a book because it was so bad until now but I tried and tried and have made it 50 pages before the end and can't possibly put myself through anymore. Silly me bought all three books in one go and couldn't even make it through one! The only way to redeem this is if a 12 year old girl had written it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Move over Edward, 28 Oct 2009
This review is from: Shiver (Paperback)
Firstly, this book has changed my whole outlook on the young adult genre, yep, it really is that good. I am going to attempt to put my feelings into words, but everything that is coming into my mind, falls shy of describing my experience and impressions of this book. I just hope my review goes someway in giving the book and author the justice they deserve. If I go off on a tangent, I apologise.

The female protagonist Grace is an independent seventeen year old junior. Six years ago, she was attacked by a pack of wolves in the woods near her home. During this time, to distance herself from the attack, she focuses her attention on one particular wolf, a wolf with strange yellow eyes. Over the coming years, she watches this wolf from a distance, and he too watches her. What Grace doesn't realize at first is that the wolf has a name "Sam", and also a human body, but only when the temperature rises above a certain degree. It seems to me that this is Grace's coming of age, as she discovers herself and learns more about the mysterious wolves.

SHIVER is told from both Grace's and Sam's perspective and their voices are so unique and beautiful, that not once whilst reading this extraordinary novel, did I have to check the chapter page to see who was telling the story. The story is beautiful in it seamlessness, the plot and characters come together in perfect harmony, with epic amounts of emotion, without being too much. Like LAMENT, the prose is so poetic, I found myself full of envy at how Stiefvater can make writing seem so perfect. The love story is so believable and powerful, the saying "Love can overcome anything" rings true with this tale. The bar on supernatural romance has been raised, so other authors beware!

Although the wolves in this book are nothing similar to wolves you may have read about in the past, this new view on wolves is so refreshing, I think people will start to reconsider their notions on the traditional lore.

Sam and Grace's relationship, is achingly sad, passionate and will make you shiver all over (sorry for the pun, couldn't help myself). This seems to be the most distinctive and unique relationship I have ever experienced. The notion of a human girl being in love with a wolf does seem unreal, but not once during reading the book did this thought enter my head. More like Sam being a wolf was just symbolism for his character, more like a metaphor for his true state of being, rather than actually being a wolf.

The wait for this book did not disappoint, and now has a very special place on my bookshelf. I am eagerly awaiting the release of LINGER, which such renewed vigor now that I have had a slice of the action. SHIVER, has debuted at number nine of the NYT bestseller list, so congratulations Maggie, you are a literary genius. SHIVER will shake the young adult genre down to its roots with it's complex yet simple style, as dangerous and broody as it is lovely, this is an exceptional novel. Move over Edward.............Sam is here!!

5.0 out of 5 stars amazing!, 22 Feb 2010
E. Coote (birmingham uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Shiver (Paperback)
i love this book so much i couldnt put it down, ive only had it a week and have read it twice! the love story between sam and grace is perfect and i cant wait to hear more from them in the 2nd book linger!

5.0 out of 5 stars Shiver Review, 21 Feb 2010
T Chilumbu - See all my reviews
This review is from: Shiver (Paperback)
I loved Shiver it was amazing, deffinetly a book you can become obsessed with. The author Maggie Stiefvater is a complete genius and will not dissapoint. If you liked Twilight you'll love this!

4.0 out of 5 stars Very unique book, 15 Feb 2010
light (brighton) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Shiver (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I really ejoyed this book, it was a nice twist on the werewolf storyline. I think it was marketed well too, the cover and details of temperatures on each chapter heading (you'll know why later ;) ) were nice touches, the storyline lived up to these too.

It wasn't ok, or a holy grail book for me. But it is one of the best of it's genre. The only thing I didn't enjoy as much was the ending, as it was a bit vague, but hey, this could be the operning for a sequel?

I really recomend this book to anyone reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars LOOOOOVED!, 8 Jan 2010
This review is from: Shiver (Paperback)
Such an awesome book! I swear it gets better every time you read it! If I wasn't procrastinating from doing my English coursework by doing this I would probably be reading it again.

4.0 out of 5 stars Shiver, 2 Oct 2009
Jenny, Wondrous Reads (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Shiver (Paperback)
When I started reading Shiver, I was expecting an amazing, all-consuming epic romance type of book that would end up as one of my favourites. It didn't quite meet my high expectations, but I did enjoy it and didn't put it down once I got into it.

My main disappointment was my lack of connection with the characters. I just about got Sam, but I felt very little attachment to Grace. I don't know why she didn't make more of an impact on me, but I definitely didn't care about her as much as I think I should have. I also had trouble believing in their intense relationship -- I didn't think there was enough build up, and I had no idea why their feelings for each other were so strong; Grace's especially. Their feelings seemed to progress in the fast and furious no-good-explanation way, and I didn't identify with them at all. The plethora of supporting characters all worked, but again, none particularly stood out to me, and most seemed superfluous.

The plot itself was something new in the werewolf genre, and I thought the use of the cold was very clever. I've never heard of the weather controlling when a wolf changes to a human, so that caught my attention straight away. I also loved the dual narrative, as I'm a big fan of different points of view. I would have liked to have seen more Sam and less Grace chapters, though with Sam being a wolf for some of the time, I understand that that wasn't always possible. The cliffhanger ending was a nice touch, and left me wanting another immediately. I now have many questions that need answers, and I'm hoping all will be revealed in a future installment.

I really wanted to love Shiver, but I didn't get that excited feeling that accompanies a book you know you'll be thinking about for days after finishing it. Maybe it was because my expectations were too high, or maybe I was just anticipating something more.

3.5/5

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Read!, 14 April 2011
Book Passion for Life (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Shiver (Paperback)
Absolutely adored this book. Its a completely different take on the shapeshifting/wolves genre. Told in 1st person points of view by the hero and the heroine, Sam and Grace.

Grace is facinated by the wolves that inhabit the woods behind her house all winter. She's particularly facinated with one wolf, the one wolf with mesmorizing yellow eyes. This wolf watches her, all through the winter, but then he dissapears during the spring and summmer months. Grace then meets a boy with the same mesmorizing yellow eyes of 'her wolf'.

Although its slow to start and the chapters are quick you are eventually hooked witht he story of Grace and Sam. The author has written the characters well, and they are delveloped. You feel what they feel. You feel sad in the sad parts, you laugh at the funny bits. And you can't help but fall in love with Sam.

Very much reccommend this book.

2.0 out of 5 stars Quite a disappointment, 9 April 2010
Jo (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Shiver (Paperback)
You have no idea how excited I was to read this book. I had read rave reviews all over about Shiver, and being about werewolves, how could I possibly not love it? Well, as it turns out werewolves don't make all books brilliant.

Did I hate it? No, I really loved the beginning, and the end was just perfect. The middle, however, was a disappointment. My Dad has drummed it into me ever since I was young that if I start reading a book, I have to finish it. "How do you know you don't like a book until you've finished it?" he would always ask. So I can't not finish a book now, I have to read it to the end. I could have given up on this book days ago - as it is, it's taken me 13 days to read it, and that's just ridiculous. I'm glad I did finish it though, because my Dad was right; the end has changed my opinion of Shiver. Whereas I didn't like it before the end, it's kind of ok now. But barely.

As always, I'll start with the positives. The beginning was something I could almost relate to. Grace has this great affinity with the woods and the wolves that live in them every winter, since she was attacked by the wolves when she was younger. One wolf, her wolf, with bright yellow eyes, has always come to the edge of the wood's by Grace house, and they would spend hours just staring at each other with such intensity. Those moments felt so strong to me, very powerful, and I thought I was in for such a awesome read. Then the wolf became human, and things fell a little flat. I also liked how it was written. Almost each alternating chapter was from one or the other, Grace or Sam. It was great to get both points of view, to know what both were thinking.

The last fifty or so pages of the book were the most hooking, once I got to those, I could hardly put the book down. There was one moment that was just so beautiful yet so sad that I almost cried. The very end was just so perfect, it was brilliant.

As I've said, however, the middle let me down. Apart from those moments at the very beginning, I didn't relate to Grace, and I didn't particularly care about her. I can't say why though, it's not that there was no personality, or not enough depth, she just wasn't really my sort of person. Same about Sam really, he was lovely, but not amazing. And I can't say there was any chemistry between them. There were a lot of sweet moments, but I just didn't feel it, it wasn't believable to me.

This is more of a paranormal romance rather than an urban fantasy. What little action there is in the book happens elsewhere, so we only get told about it rather than see it. There isn't much else to say, really. I don't know if I'll be reading Linger, when it comes out in the UK 5th July. It sounds pretty good, but so did Shiver. We'll see. Over all a disappointing book that was just saved by the ending.

Shiver
Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater (Paperback - 5 Oct 2009)
5.72