5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating life of a London family, 14 Jan. 2010
This review is from: Young Nanny (My Story) (Paperback)
This book tells the story of Lily's life in service, not in a grand house, but in as more modest house with fewer servants. The sort of environment most servants worked in. She is employed as a maid and then becomes the Nanny as a young teenager when a family with a new baby come to live there. It paints a vivid picture of how the differences in social class resulted in inequalities in educational standards and treatment under the law. It is good story and shows life in a London family in the middle of the nineteenth century during the construction of the Crystal Palace. An amazing achievement which generated both excitement and controversy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Young Nanny, 15 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Young Nanny (My Story) (Paperback)
Young Nanny is one of the most interesting books I ever read, and trust me I've read a lot of books.
At the start of the book I felt quite confused and frustrated at all these names being thrown at me. But I tried again, and when you really get into it, it feels like you are police officer and you are investigation something and you have person on the inside spying for you. In this book you get top class diary entry's about Crystal Palace in the process of building, and a menacing little boy who ruins everybody's fun and lands himself in jail.
All the my story books are very fascinating to read and there are one of my favourite types of books. And I am very sure that anybody who likes history and learning about famine and war as much as I do will love these books no doubt! Signed Molly Rose Mac Dermott.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!!, 7 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Young Nanny (My Story) (Paperback)
This was a very good book that showed how rough a serving girls life could be and how her life was effected by the other staff and her employers. It also highlighted the crystal place which was a good add in.

4.0 out of 5 stars Young Nanny ( My Story ), 4 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Young Nanny (My Story) (Paperback)
Young Lily works as a housemaid to the famous Joseph Paxton, architect of the famous Crystal Palace, the year is 1850. Lily gains promotion to nanny to look after the Paxton's young baby, young Edgar, 10yr old son of the Paxton's is determined to cause trouble for Lily but this is eventually to lead to desperate trouble for the boy. Lily has her own problems with her family living in a slum and one of her brothers seriously ill. Although this book is a fairly good read it spends to much time with constant details about the construction of the Crystal Palace and not enough about Lily's service as a nanny.

5.0 out of 5 stars PREVIOUSLY PUBLISHED AS CRYSTAL PALACE, 10 Aug. 2010
This review is from: Young Nanny (My Story) (Paperback)
Beware, Young Nanny was previously published as Crystal Palace.
It tells the story of Lily Hicks, who becomes a nanny is a household in London. Not only does it tell the reader about life as a nanny in 19th century London, it also tells about the wonders of Crystal Palace.

Young Nanny (My Story)
Young Nanny (My Story) by Frances Mary Hendry (Paperback - 4 Jan. 2010)
Used & New from: £0.01