Format: Paperback|Change

on 2 September 2014
'Fascinating and funny facts about the incredible English language and its horrible history....from the first word ever to dreadful dictionaries and sleazy slang.....'

Want to know:

* how to be very rude without anybody knowing?
* some murky Medieval jokes?
* what to say if someone calls you mundungus, hackum or jobberknowl?

Read this book for some potty proverbs, wacky word games, ridiculous writers and rotten riddles.
Ever suffered a spelling test or grappled with grammar?
Get your revenge with some really wicked words - even English teachers will be speechless!
History has never been so horrible!'

The Horrible History (HH) 'Specials' may appear to be on the expensive side but they are slightly bigger than the regular HH series, standing around 8.5" high and this one has 192 pages, written in a variety of fonts and is packed full of black and white illustrations & cartoons.

Written with typical Deary humour:

e.g. From the 'Daft Definitions' chapter:

'Egress' - This word means the same as 'Exit' (so you could say it's a pretty 'way out' word). Not many people know that. So an American showman called Phineas Barnum used it when he had problems with visitors ............

e.g. Did you know..........?

Some clever person worked out that 'smiled' is probably the longest word in the world........but why?
Answer: Because there is a mile between the first letter and the last. Boom-boom!

Mix up the letters of Charles Dickens and you get Rash Neck Sliced - ideal for the author of 'A Tale of Two Cities'.'
on 21 November 2000
This book is one of the funniest books I have ever read!I have never liked history much, but this book changed that! I know now history is funny, interesting... AND HORRIBLE!!!
on 7 January 2010
Bought for a 10 yr old but I read it first and found it really interesting. Now I know why my kids are always quoting little interesting facts!
on 29 March 2000
I adored this book. Though the book series is not known for its thorough content, it is well known for its entertainment value and ease of message. I personally love words and language, so this book was a particular treat. For Mr. Joe Bloggs, it's just as interesting, and I hope will make them further appreciate the great mess the English language is.
on 5 October 2011
My son is 10 and he has been reading these books for years. This one was another great one and I love the focus on the language. I wish they'd had these when I was a kid!
on 19 November 2000
Brilliant guide to language. Very easy light reading. I enjoyed this book completely.
on 12 January 2013
I got this for my 8 year old grandson for christmas. He was very pleased with it & was in fits of giggles at it
on 30 January 2013
I like the series, they are funny and tell some of the lesser told parts of history.
One have to remember that they are written for 10-15 year old-ish.
the author have said that it is difficult not to write something wrong, because the first constants used to be considered the truth, but by the time the rest of the book had been written, those truths had been disproved.
Also a good theme in the books is that you shouldn't always believe what a historian have written, because the winner writes the history.
on 30 January 2013
I first came across these books whilst running about the English countryside on holiday (I live in Sweden) and instantly fell in love. So much so that I bought a huge set of them from the amazon.com site for my grandson in the USA. He was tickled to death as much as I was. Wicked Words was milder than I'd hoped... but it is aimed at kids, right? Ha! Love love love Terry Deary and the Horrible Histories books. Next I'll have to check out the DVDs...
on 23 October 2015
As usual, HH excellence, a good learning book for kids (and adults alike). I have always been addicted to history and HH books are always a breath of fresh air. I will never tire of them.