4.0 out of 5 stars Horrible Histories The USA
Published on 18 Oct 2010

2.0 out of 5 stars Not the best horrible history book I've read.
I'm a huge fan of Mr.Dearys works and how he gives us the negative side to history. Well I lived in the US all my life and I know much more about my history than Mr.Deary does. When he was talking about the Confederate General Robert E. Lee he said something about him being 6ft tall. But really he's 5ft 7 and has a record for being the shortest US general. I know most of...
Published on 5 Dec 2004

4.0 out of 5 stars Horrible Histories The USA, 18 Oct 2010
A Kid's Review
I recommend this book because it is very funny but its also a very good way to learn about the history of The USA.As soon as my eyes hit the pages they would never come off the book,it was so good that I had read for the whole weekend.This book would have to be the best book I have ever read. I would recommend this book for 8-10 years old.So if you know someone that likes to read and would like to learn about The USA this book I would recommend for you to buy it for them. It is a good book for kids and to learn about the history in writing and sometimes cartoon pictures and a easy way for them to learn about the history in a fun way without them knowing.Thats why I would recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A good read, even for Americans!, 14 Sep 2006
I am American and we lived in the UK for 5 years. Right after we first moved there, we bought our son the book, The Groovy Greeks. It kept him entertained through a nearly three hour bus ride and he kept going back to it, so we knew we'd found a winner. My son has enjoyed all of Terry Deary's books and still reads them even though he's 13 now. I'd recommend The USA because a lot of American history that American kids are taught in school is a lot of "America is the greatest country in the world" propaganda. This is, needless to say, less biased in that area without being too anti-American. More importantly, it's an interesting and amusing book so kids will want to read it. I wish these books were easier to find in the states.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 22 Mar 2003
Bluey (London, UK) - See all my reviews
At last, a book about American history that ISN'T glorified on each page about how wonderful and amazing the Americans are. This gives you the raw facts and nothing else, with a touch of humour thrown in. Terry Deary is an amazing author anyway, so how can you doubt him?

5.0 out of 5 stars Horrible Histories, 16 Oct 2013
This review is from: The USA (Horrible Histories Special) (Paperback)
Our grandson is in to these books and was very pleased to get different ones, at such a reasonable price

4.0 out of 5 stars A fun read, 5 July 2013
This review is from: The USA (Horrible Histories Special) (Paperback)
Full of information and written in a fun way. A great book for the young and old. I look forward to reading it to the kids.

5.0 out of 5 stars fun book series, 30 Jan 2013
I like the series, they are funny and tell some of the lesser told parts of history.
One have to remember that they are written for 10-15 year old-ish.
the author have said that it is difficult not to write something wrong, because the first constants used to be considered the truth, but by the time the rest of the book had been written, those truths had been disproved.
Also a good theme in the books is that you shouldn't always believe what a historian have written, because the winner writes the history.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another success for Terry "Brilliant" Deary!, 16 Jun 2001
By A Customer
Terry Deary has done it again, offering a book with lots of interesting facts in, gory stuff and humour to go with it. If there is ever an author that you look forward to reading it is Terry Deary who is master at knowing when you should be serious or funny and how to please his readers, not bogging his books down with tedious history dates and text-book history. Another brilliant book from a brilliant author. This book includes even more humour, interesting and gory facts and things that not even your history teacher would know!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 24 Sep 2014
This book was amazing definitely would recommend. Loved every minute of it, did not want to put it down when going to school!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Tall stories?, 8 Jan 2007
CSJ (Paddington, London) - See all my reviews
It is a great book - funny, wise and informative - and I haven't got much to add to what other readers have said, except to point out to `A Reader' that he is surely mistaken. While there are a great many contradictory or downright contentious historical facts and events, I wouldn't have thought Robert E Lee's height was one of them. There are any number of reliable sources giving biographical details about him and one fact on which just about all of them that I have seen (and I did a PhD in American history!) agree on is that he was a great deal taller than most men of his day, standing at a shade under 6' tall.

Martin Sheen, who played him `Gettysburg', is apparently only 5' 7", and although in my opinion that wasn't the only thing wrong with his portrayal of Lee, everybody else in the movie towered above him so you could be forgiven for thinking that Lee was short if that was your only source of information. But if it was your only source, shame on you!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent books, 15 July 2012
This review is from: The USA (Horrible Histories Special) (Paperback)
This was bought for my 13 year old son who has loved these books for years.
His younger brouther (9) also reads them now, it's a great way of getting kids into history.

The USA (Horrible Histories Special)
The USA (Horrible Histories Special) by Terry Deary (Paperback - 4 Oct 2010)