5.0 out of 5 stars A fast, inventive adventure story
After reading Pullman's "His Dark Materials" trilogy I decided this summer to read Pullman's four books about Sally Lockhart set in Victorian England and I'm glad I did. The books are an excellent read, and Pullman has enough changes in each book to stop them becoming repetitive.
This is the final book of the four. It has Jim as the main character, with...
Published on 31 Aug 2001 by J. Mann

2.0 out of 5 stars I have to say I'm dissappointed with this one
Before I start. I have to say the first three Sally Lockhart books (especially 2 and 3) were absolutly excellent (although I almost refused to read 3 after Phillip Pullmans choice of fate for certain main character!) However after having read The Tiger in the Well (which I struggled to put down) I settled down to The Tin Princess waiting to find out more about the...
Published on 18 Mar 2008 by Ms. Rr Bryant

5.0 out of 5 stars A great Quartet, 2 Jun 2013
I bought and read these books in order and loved the story line though out. What was interesting though was the Last book - which was this one was not based on Sally Lockhart but on that of her companion Jim and a another previous character from the story line. Really had me hooked - hard to put down -great twists and very well written.

4.0 out of 5 stars A rollicking read, 24 Jan 2013
Bee of Good Cheer (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
A good rollicking yarn in the "Ruritania" tradition. However, it rises above the usual run-of-the-mill tales with its characterisation, which is deep and subtle. It does not steer away from the dark side of life, which is refreshing in a book aimed at young teenagers.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sustained Series, 23 July 2010
D. Elliott (Ulverston, Cumbria) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Tin Princess (Sally Lockhart Quartet) (Paperback)
This is the final book of Philip Pullman's quartet of Sally Lockhart novels, though it focuses on her oldest friend, Jim Taylor. Also it takes up the story of a character introduced in the first of the quartet; `The Ruby In The Smoke', and it ends in circumstances that may readily sustain the series further. In spite of Philip Pullman's books being categorized as `children's', many are equally appropriate for and appreciated by adults, but `The Tin Princess' seems unquestionably aimed at teenage readers. It has no pretence other than being a swashbuckling tale brim full of action in a make-believe setting with somewhat implausible yet excitingly dramatic characters. Though dialogue may be simple the situations and subjects are well described, and these include loyalty and betrayal, love and hatred, freedom and oppression, and hope and despair. A trickle of humour runs throughout to add to the pleasure and satisfaction of a `ripping-yarn' read. It is possible the quartet may become a quintet, or more ... , but hopefully Philip Pullman will revert to more profound writing as with his `Dark Materials' trilogy or the previous Sally Lockhart novel `The Tiger In The Well'.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another cracking read, 27 Jun 2010
Mary (Oxon United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Tin Princess (Sally Lockhart Quartet) (Paperback)
This, the fourth book in the Sally Lockhart Mysteries series, does not disappoint. An absolute must read for any Philip Pullman fan.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read, 17 Nov 2009
L. S. Kent (London) - See all my reviews
Another of the Sally Lockhart series - brilliantly written, which is no surprise from such a highly respected author as Philip Pullman. Will appeal to all ages - highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Philip Pullman, 6 Feb 2009
Satisfied with product - Pullman is a fantastic writer to whom all children and adults should be introduced. Good service from supplier.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good story, but where's the ending??, 10 Jan 2005
This review is from: The Tin Princess (Paperback)
I really enjoyed reading the previous 3 Sally Lockhart novels, and knew that this one didn't centre around her, and for the most of it, I really enjoyed the story. It was nice to meet Adelaide again as she was an important character in the first novel, but the ending distressed me! I couldn't believe it ended quite so abrubtly and in the manner it did.
I'm a sucker for happy endings anyway, (no matter how predictable) and in a sense it was a happy ending for Adelaide, but Becky! What becomes of her? Will there be a follow up to this story? So much is still unanswered!

4.0 out of 5 stars Tin Princess, 20 May 2004
M. G. Hatfield "trekle5" (North Wales UK) - See all my reviews
I have not read this book but bought it in audio format a few months ago.I also listened to the first three I found thrid a task to get through but it was great. This is very different from the first three if you are a fan of Sally and like her as Lockhart you may be distured by Pullman's change to her. She hardly appears in this story but Jim Taylor her frikend from the first takes the lead role this time all I can say is I hope in the next book Sally will be the in lead. But The Tin Princess may be a good choice if you aree new to this series.

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit of a disappointment, 15 July 2001
By A Customer
I really expected that little bit more from this book, after reading the other Sally Lockheart books. I agree that the ending was not really satisfactory. The Adelaide/Jim thing was really uninteresting for me, the kind of sickly romance that I didn't want to happen, it was all so unrealistic. Becky was quite a nice character, but she didn't really play a key part, did she? I really longed Sally to come back to give the story a bit more interest. Carmen Ruiz is a great pyschotic character, but all the goverment officals and royalty got me confused, even though there is a family tree. Adelaide was a bit strange; she couldn't write in ehglish and suddenly she can speak German? She really did seem like a schemer, ( e.g flirting with the goverment officails to get her own way) and not really likeable, unlike Jim. I finished this book thinking:is that it? A romance, some deaths? I suggest you read Ruby in the Smoke-now THAT is a good book.

5.0 out of 5 stars More brilliance from Philip Pullman!, 1 Jan 2001
By A Customer
I had read all the Sally Lockhart books and enjoyed them, and was pleasently surprised that a fourth book was around. I liked the fact that it concentrated on other characters rather than just sally. It is a book that will please many readers because it has adventure, romance and a bit of politics. I would reccomend it to all Philip Pullman fans.

The Tin Princess (Sally Lockhart Quartet)
The Tin Princess (Sally Lockhart Quartet) by Philip Pullman (Paperback - 4 May 2009)
Used & New from: £0.01