5.0 out of 5 stars Best so far!
I have read all of Ally Kennen's earlier books and this is definitely the one I have enjoyed most.

Published on 16 Oct 2011 by Jan

3.0 out of 5 stars Quarry
YA thriller isn't a genre I've read a lot of, as there just doesn't seem to be many out there. I like thrillers, though - suspense and scares are high on my list of 'likes', and I'm happy to have found a new author with a backlist of titles for me to wade through. Quarry is Ally Kennen's latest offering - as well as the first of her books I've read - and I liked it...
Published on 8 Feb 2011 by Jenny, Wondrous Reads

5.0 out of 5 stars Best so far!, 16 Oct 2011
This review is from: Quarry (Paperback)

I found Scrappy's unusual family life interesting. I loved the fact that his parents had started bringing up their children while living in the cabin of a wrecked aircraft! Mum had left the family just before the story starts, so Scrappy and his sister are living with Dad, who is a depressed workaholic and even sleeps at his desk, and Grandad who is slowly going senile. In contrast his friend Silva's life with his hippy, artist parents seems quite normal. Scrappy starts receiving weird dares by text message from an anonymous sender and, thinking they are being sent by someone in his class, he finds himself carrying out the instructions - and strangely, earning some money for doing it. The denouement is tragic. Long hidden secrets are revealed and the family will never be the same again.

The imagery is quite bleak. The school is closed due to a cockroach infestation, but it's almost devoid of pupils anyway as it is about to be demolished. The scrap yard is, unsurprisingly full of wrecked cars, the quarry is deserted - no longer even the place where children gather, there is also a disused tower and it is always raining! In spite of all this, I really liked the book and would definitely recommend it to anyone who likes a mystery.

3.0 out of 5 stars Quarry, 8 Feb 2011
Jenny, Wondrous Reads (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Quarry (Paperback)

I didn't know what to expect when I started Quarry. What I ended up getting was a fast-paced, chilling story of dares and boundaries, with an underlying message of just how far would you go? Main character Scrappy lives with his father and sister, along with his slightly batty grandad who thinks bad people called 'Geebos' exist and are out to get him. Grandad Ted provided much of the book's humour, and he was my favourite character. I liked his impulsiveness and his ability to ignore those around him - getting old and finding your mind deteriorating isn't by any means a fun thing to go through, but the way Ted deals with it is fairly light and easy to read.

Although I sympathised with Scrappy and his situation, I never became as attached to him as I would have liked. He was a bit too much of a mystery for me to completely get inside his head, and I also had some trouble believing he wouldn't have involved an adult when strange, dangerous text messages started appearing on his phone. I'd be too scared to not talk to someone about it, though maybe that's just me!

Quarry is tense and genuinely chilling, with a conclusion that never even occurred to me. Honestly, I think I've been born without the gene to work things out. It never, ever happens! In this case, at least I was as gobsmacked as Scrappy was, and I experienced the shock at the same time he did. I'm interested in reading more of Ally Kennen's books, as they appeal to my jumpy, thriller-loving side. A refreshing read with a sinister twist, Quarry isn't for those of a nervous disposition!

3.5/5

5.0 out of 5 stars Quarry, 31 Mar 2013
This review is from: Quarry (Kindle Edition)
I liked this book a lot, Great book, very gripping story, highly reccomended for any age, I couldn't stop reading!

5.0 out of 5 stars A gripping, entertaining read, 26 May 2011
Fiona Millar "cookiemum" (Edinburgh) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I read Quarry in a day, it kept my interest and had me hooked enough to really want to find out what was going on. The action starts quickly and the whole story is very pacey - there are a few instances where it feels as though the character is repeating himself as he constantly wonders who is sending him these dares, but they don't detract too much from the pace of the story.

Like another reviewer, I worked out who was behind it all around two thirds of the way through, but then I annoy my kids by doing that a lot - too much time spent reading and watching detective and mystery stories! The suspense was very well sustained throughout, and Scrappy's family connections well dealt with.

Overall, a very enjoyable read, and I'd happily search out and read more books from this author.

4.0 out of 5 stars exciting and full of suspense, 30 April 2011
Becky P (England) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I got this for my son who is 12. He enjoyed this book, he said it was well-written and keeps the suspense up. The story is quite spooky and he would recommend it. There are a few swear words - but nothing too bad - equivalent to what's in Harry Potter I think! The only reason I didn't give this five stars is that although he enjoyed reading it, he hasn't asked for more of the same - so I think he wasn't really gripped by it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great teen read book, 18 Mar 2011
Ms. C. R. Stillman-lowe "Cathy SL" (Reading Berks) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Ally Kennen's previous books Beast, Berserk and Bedlam really appealed to my teenage son. This book follows in the footsteps of its predecessors, with a gripping opening line 'I thought he was dead this time'. Narrated by a 15/16 year old boy nicknamed Scrappy, this gritty thriller would very well suit a teenage boy with a rainy day to while away.

3.0 out of 5 stars creepy, 15 Mar 2011
Kirsty at the Overflowing Library (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Quarry (Paperback)

Quarry is a story about a 15 year old boy who lives in a scrap yard called Scrappy. Scrappy is generally a bit fed up with his day to day existence. His mother has got fed up with his dad and packed up and left. His Grandfather is going senile and he has been left to look after him and generally life is a bit dull. One day Scrappy starts to receive strange dares via text. To start...moreI haven't ever read anything by Ally Kennen before and I was pleasantly surprised by how good her book was.

Quarry is a story about a 15 year old boy who lives in a scrap yard called Scrappy. Scrappy is generally a bit fed up with his day to day existence. His mother has got fed up with his dad and packed up and left. His Grandfather is going senile and he has been left to look after him and generally life is a bit dull. One day Scrappy starts to receive strange dares via text. To start with he goes along with them for fun (and the monetary reward that comes with their completion) but as things progress the dares become more frightening and nasty and Scrappy is left wishing he never got involved in the first place.

I loved Scrappy as a character. He is surprisingly upbeat despite all the things in his life he has to deal with. You can;t help but feel bad for him and the situation he is in. I loved the relatinship he had with his grandfather and seeing their interactions (especially the scenes on the old plane wreck).

The whole stor was really creepy. There were some scenes where I was generally freaked out with several bits where I wasn;t sure if I'd be able to continue reading (but couldn't put the book down all the same because I needed to know what was happening). The dares get pretty gruesome and it seems like the person daring Scrappy is everywhere and no where at the same time.

I enjoyed the final resolution of the book and didn't see where it was going at all. A gripping read throughout.

The only thing I thought was a little off with this book was the age at which it was aimed at. The ideas and language used flipped between being quite young at some points and aimed at younger teens while at others it was really quite uncomfortable and maybe a bit too frightening for younger teens.

All in all a fantastically creepy book which I really enjoyed.

Quarry
Quarry by Ally Kennen (Paperback - 7 Feb 2011)