Published on 4 Sep 2007 by ELH Browning

3.0 out of 5 stars The fish who cried wolf
A lovely story, however this book also goes by the title "tiddler". It is not a partner to tiddler, it is Tiddler with a different cover. Very annoyed Amazon has not made this clear as my daughter was very diaapointed to recieve a book she already had!! It might be worth looking to see which book is cheapest before you buy
Published on 25 Aug 2008 by Elizabeth English

5.0 out of 5 stars A triumph of a story! Surely an underwater classic in the making., 4 Sep 2007
ELH Browning "Esther-Lou" (Kingston Bagpuize, Oxon) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Tiddler (Hardcover)
This is a wonderful tale of a little fish's underwater adventures told in rhythmic text with a rather relaxed lolloping rhyme accompanied by bright bold illustrations. Tiddler is a little fish with a big imagination who arrives late at fish school every day with a whopper of a reason why such as I was flying with a ray, I met a mermaid with a treasure chest at ashipwreck etc. Classmate little Johnny Dory loves Tiddler's tall tales so much he tells them to his granny and hence the stories spread far and wide.
One day as Tiddler dawdles along he gets caught in a net and so begins a real story of his own. Although the fishermen throw him straight back he is lost in the middle of the ocean amongst strange deep sea fish but then he hears one of his own stories and follows its trail home to the last double page for a finale with a bit of a difference.
My children 3,5 and 6 are all delighted with this new addition to our bookshelf and picked up immediately on the repetition of "Tiddler, Tiddler, Tiddler's LATE" and "Oh no (s)he didn't. Oh yes (s)he did," calling them out by the second read through. The littlest particularly loved the many different kinds of fish, and was delighted to spot the Gruffalo-fish lurking two-thirds the way through! Meanwhile, the picture of the author in her diving gear researching the story is a great talking point for the older child.
An absolute winner.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent - Again!, 13 Jan 2008
Jim Campbell "Jim" (Paulton, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tiddler (Hardcover)
Donaldson and Scheffer are as sure a guarantee of quality as there is in Childrens literature.

The drawings are as ever, bright, vibrant and packed with little details that pre-schoolers love (mine was absolutely thrilled to discover a 'gruffalo fish' amongst the illustrations!). It is the words though, as ever, that enchant.

With a perhaps slightly more complex 'flow' than other D&S books, it took me a couple of goes to really find the right rhythm, but once I'd found it, the sheer joy of reading was almost overwhelming. As the appointed bed-time reader in our house, I can honestly say Tiddler is the new all-time favourite of children and adult alike. An absolute joy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Childrens classic once again, 1 Aug 2009
D. Farrell "David" (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tiddler book and CD (Paperback)
Julia Donaldson does it time and time again with her stories - firm favorites with my children...
My adage is "you can never have too many books" and I have maintained this with my children who at 6 and 8 are now reading these stories that they have become so familier with over the years... the Gruffallo, room on the broom, etc... Tiddler is now firmly on their favorites list as well - so many are Julia Donaldson I wish I had shares in her... Thank goodness I don't pay loyalties everytime a book is read in this house...!

5.0 out of 5 stars another great tale, 7 Jun 2013
This review is from: Tiddler (Paperback)
I am the grandmother of a 2 year old and when you ask my grandson which is MY favourite book he says Tiddler and Jack and the Flumflum tree.
We started reading it before he could talk and he would look away when I said " oh no he didn't " until I said " oh yes he did "
Now he knows the book by heart and fills in the parts that I leave out.
When we turn the page for "The Net" he hides his face.
I am looking forward to the day he can read it himself and so will enjoy it for many more years to come.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 25 Sep 2011
J. M. Daykin "thegothmother" (West Midlands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tiddler book and CD (Paperback)
I love this book and CD. The story is entertaining but also educational, as various types of fish are mentioned. The words are easy for my 3-year-old grandson to understand and he was soon correcting me if I misread anything. Tiddler is a little bit naughty and tells tall stories. Most of the fish don't believe him but his stories save him when he gets into a sticky situation one day. The story is the same on the CD but has lots of music and pauses so I think a small child would need help following the the story in the book while listening to the CD. All-in-all excellent value for money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rhythmical Fishy Tale, 6 Sep 2007
This review is from: Tiddler (Hardcover)
This is the terrific story of Tiddler who `blows small bubbles but tells tale tails'. Each day he is late for school excusing it with increasingly wild stories that none of his friends believe but Little Johnny Dory loves Tiddler's stories and tells them to his Granny who tells them to others in the ocean, who in turn tell them to yet others until Tiddler's tall stories bring him home again when he is lost and afraid.

With Axel Scheffler's wonderfully vivid drawings, including the Gruffalo fish chasing Tiddler round a rock, and Donaldson's rhythmical poetry this is a great story for Pre-School and Key Stage 1 children. We've only had it 3 days and it is now read several times before and after school with much audience participation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mummy's favourite!, 4 Sep 2013
This review is from: Tiddler (Paperback)
We own all of the JD/AF books and this is my favourite. For what it's worth, my son loves it too! We bought it last year and for the first month or so this was the only book he wanted to hear- I've read it so many times I now know the whole book off by heart, and we still love it. My son was 20 months when he first heard it and is 2 1/2 now, and I reckon this will be a firm favourite for years to come.
Along with Room on the Broom, Tabby McCat, Superworm and Snail and the Whale, this is ESSENTIAL bedtime story reading!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 9 Aug 2013
Mrs. L. J. Ketterer "LJK" (Scarborough, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tiddler (Paperback)
My son (nearly 2) loves this book. It's a typical Julia Donaldson/Axel Scheffler - lovely to read, rhymes and has lovely pictures (and a Gruffalo fish which my son thinks is fantastic). Highly recommended for little ones and their parents.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful story!, 27 July 2012
This review is from: Tiddler (Board Book) (Board book)
Absolutely love this story, has a great variety of characters, an appealing story and the illustrations are beautiful. My 2 year old loves it, my 5 year old nephew loves it and I love it ;) (good thing as I have to read it at least once a day, although normally more often).

5.0 out of 5 stars fabulous book, 26 July 2012
This review is from: Tiddler (Paperback)
My 3 yr old adores this book and can actually recite it back to us. She has on occasion be found "reading" it to her baby sister. It is a charming, fun filled kids book that I love reading, which is more than can be said about some of her other favourite stories. I would thoroughly recommend it.

Tiddler book and CD
Tiddler book and CD by Julia Donaldson (Paperback - 1 Jun 2009)
5.59