Format: Paperback|Change

on 26 September 2009
I've bought this book in advance of my boy's 5th birthday in a few weeks time. The day it was delivered I sneaked it upstairs to read it myself as I couldn't wait to see the latest Donaldson and Scheffler creation! I wasn't disappointed and no doubt my child won't be either. If you've seen any of the other books then you'll recognise this as another in their excellent tradition. It's sharp and clever and as always entertains totally.

Roll on story time!!
VINE VOICEon 5 August 2009
For many years, the duo with the Midas touch in picture books (Donaldson and Scheffler) adorn their front covers with 'from the creators of The Gruffalo' stickers, as if to proudly declare 'Yep, we did that too: it was our finest hour.' Now, though, I really feel that their next book will need to have 'from the creators of Tabby McTat' stickers instead, because they've just outdone themselves. 'Tabby McTat' is their most dazzling, fantastic creation yet.

Even reading it in silence, you can almost hear the music to which the genius rhymes play over. The story is fresh but timeless, genuinely touching and surprisingly deep. Scheffler just keeps getting better, and the city landscape is crammed with so many tiny details that, many inevitable reads in, you'll always spot something new.

'Tabby McTat' is magic for the eyes and ears. Parents be warned: you may want to read it to your kids as much they want it read to them.

The masters have outdone themselves. This is their best yet. Simply put, it's purrfect.
11 comment|149 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 September 2009
We've owned this book for less than a week and must have read it 20 times already! My sons, aged 1 and nearly 5, have both asked for it repeatedly since it arrived. And for once, I have been happy to read the same story over and over, because it really is a pleasure for grown ups too.

The story itself is charming and engaging, the witty rhymes well written and illustrations colourful and full of interesting background details. It fully lived up to our high hopes that it would be as good as the best from these authors. This is in the same league as the Gruffalo, the Snail and the Whale, and Room on the Broom.

It might even be my overall favourite from the authors... but I'll wait until I've read it another few hundred times before making my final judgement!
on 22 December 2009
My child loves all of the Julia Donaldson creations and as with any 2 year old at story time, he often likes the same book repeated over and over. Tabby McTat is a firm favourite - there is loads to look at, plenty of colurs for him to spot and objects for him name - not least the the song. He does love to sing the buskers song. If I am honest I think he likes this more than the "Gruffalo's child" but not as much as a the "Snail and the whale" and on a par with "Room on the Broom".

How good a childs book is often down to how you read it to them and how much you make it come alive. Tabby, required more effort from dad than others by Donaldson.

From a an adult perspective i felt it lacked the charm and simplicity of "Room..." or "Gruffalo". But then I'm not the important judge.
on 20 August 2009
This is yet another fabulous book from Julia Donaldson and Axel Scheffler. A lovely rhymning book about a cat and his busker friend. My five year old son loves reading it. He had great fun trying to spot The Gruffalo on one of the pages. Would highly recommend this book.
on 25 September 2009
My kids love this book. They try and recite the rhymes. Any small child will love this book!!
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 13 November 2009
Tabby McTat is an old busker's cat.
There's nothing surprising `bout that.
But what brings the joy, the laughter, the fun,
Is the way that this story can run, run, and run.
You can find an old friend,
Coming just round the bend,
In a pusher, in the arms of a child.
This story is great and magic and fun
And at time just a little bit wild.
There are people you see on the streets every day,
as they shop, as they gossip and play.
Some parts are messy, some parts are sad,
But when you get to the ending everyone's glad.
So buy the book now, do not wait, don't delay,
Your kids will keep reading it through night and through day.
It may not be up there with the old Gruffalo
but the rhythms are still catchy, the pictures just so.
One star? That really is silly!
But if that's what you think, then your heart must be chilly.
So stop all this winging, and stop all this whining
it hard to tell stories if you have to keep rhyming.
It's great and I like it, so now I will stop.
You really should get it,
from this on line book-shop!
Our three year old grand daughter was enraptured by this nifty story of the busker's cat on the first reading with surprisingly no explanations required- she wants the bad thief snatching the hat page read over and over, we smack the naughty man... It's sort of pantomime terror really, not any more than that. Her five year old brother playing with his lego on the other side of the room sidled over to join in, tempted by the jolly rhymes and charming story line. Yes, Sock is a girl.. and Samuel Sprat looks just like his Dad... I want to move in with Prunella and Pat too. What lovely language and poetry with tempo. The drawings are intricate and captivating, a pleasure to really examine, we're seeing more each time. We already love the others - A Squash and Squeeze is always asked for and the Giant one too. What a joy to have these lively, friendly books, don't worry about the content being scary, it has just the right frisson to be acceptable and doesn't talk down to the children.
on 5 February 2011
I can't believe anyone could give this story 1 star.
It is brilliant - my 4 yr old daughter adores it, and sings along with the busker 'me you and the old guitar' song with gusto. She asks for this for her bedtime story frequently, and I'm always glad when she does as it means another opportunity for me to enjoy it too. The rhyming is great, and very clever in places. The illustrations are wonderful with a subtle link back to other stories(look out for the child clutching the gruffalo toy!)
Interestingly, one of the reviewers who awards it 1 star mentions that their child has asked for it so much that they've taken to hiding the book - because they don't like reading it!! Perhaps we should let the child be the judge? - obviously a 5 star in their eyes.
Would recommend this alongside Gruffalo, Gruffalo's Child, Smartest Giant and Room on the Broom. You won't be disappointed.
on 8 September 2015
This has been a recent addition to our Julia Donaldson collection despite it being much in demand from my son who has borrowed it from the library a few times. I can't believe we've waited so long to buy our own copy.

Tabby McTat tells the story of the title character, a busker's cat who becomes separated from his owner after an accident. He makes a new life for himself and has a family but still longs for his old owner. Can Tabby's new family find the perfect solution for both the busker and Tabby's new life?

This is such an engaging tale. Written in Donaldson's usual poetic style the words have a real sing song quality which lends itself to the busker character, and singing cat effectively. It's immediately the sort of story that your children will learn to chant along with as they become familiar with it.

The story is ably illustrated by Axel Scheffler and the urban setting of the story allows him to flex his illustration muscles a little more, giving it a different feel to books like The Gruffalo. There really is no better partnership in children's books than Donaldson and Scheffler and Tabby McTat is up there with the best of there work.