Format: Paperback|Change

VINE VOICEon 5 August 2009
For many years, the duo with the Midas touch in picture books (Donaldson and Scheffler) adorn their front covers with 'from the creators of The Gruffalo' stickers, as if to proudly declare 'Yep, we did that too: it was our finest hour.' Now, though, I really feel that their next book will need to have 'from the creators of Tabby McTat' stickers instead, because they've just outdone themselves. 'Tabby McTat' is their most dazzling, fantastic creation yet.

Even reading it in silence, you can almost hear the music to which the genius rhymes play over. The story is fresh but timeless, genuinely touching and surprisingly deep. Scheffler just keeps getting better, and the city landscape is crammed with so many tiny details that, many inevitable reads in, you'll always spot something new.

'Tabby McTat' is magic for the eyes and ears. Parents be warned: you may want to read it to your kids as much they want it read to them.

The masters have outdone themselves. This is their best yet. Simply put, it's purrfect.
11 comment| 149 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 September 2009
We've owned this book for less than a week and must have read it 20 times already! My sons, aged 1 and nearly 5, have both asked for it repeatedly since it arrived. And for once, I have been happy to read the same story over and over, because it really is a pleasure for grown ups too.

The story itself is charming and engaging, the witty rhymes well written and illustrations colourful and full of interesting background details. It fully lived up to our high hopes that it would be as good as the best from these authors. This is in the same league as the Gruffalo, the Snail and the Whale, and Room on the Broom.

It might even be my overall favourite from the authors... but I'll wait until I've read it another few hundred times before making my final judgement!
on 26 September 2009
I've bought this book in advance of my boy's 5th birthday in a few weeks time. The day it was delivered I sneaked it upstairs to read it myself as I couldn't wait to see the latest Donaldson and Scheffler creation! I wasn't disappointed and no doubt my child won't be either. If you've seen any of the other books then you'll recognise this as another in their excellent tradition. It's sharp and clever and as always entertains totally.

Roll on story time!!
on 20 August 2009
This is yet another fabulous book from Julia Donaldson and Axel Scheffler. A lovely rhymning book about a cat and his busker friend. My five year old son loves reading it. He had great fun trying to spot The Gruffalo on one of the pages. Would highly recommend this book.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 13 November 2009
Tabby McTat is an old busker's cat.
There's nothing surprising `bout that.
But what brings the joy, the laughter, the fun,
Is the way that this story can run, run, and run.
You can find an old friend,
Coming just round the bend,
In a pusher, in the arms of a child.
This story is great and magic and fun
And at time just a little bit wild.
There are people you see on the streets every day,
as they shop, as they gossip and play.
Some parts are messy, some parts are sad,
But when you get to the ending everyone's glad.
So buy the book now, do not wait, don't delay,
Your kids will keep reading it through night and through day.
It may not be up there with the old Gruffalo
but the rhythms are still catchy, the pictures just so.
One star? That really is silly!
But if that's what you think, then your heart must be chilly.
So stop all this winging, and stop all this whining
it hard to tell stories if you have to keep rhyming.
It's great and I like it, so now I will stop.
You really should get it,
from this on line book-shop!
on 25 September 2009
My kids love this book. They try and recite the rhymes. Any small child will love this book!!
on 22 December 2009
My child loves all of the Julia Donaldson creations and as with any 2 year old at story time, he often likes the same book repeated over and over. Tabby McTat is a firm favourite - there is loads to look at, plenty of colurs for him to spot and objects for him name - not least the the song. He does love to sing the buskers song. If I am honest I think he likes this more than the "Gruffalo's child" but not as much as a the "Snail and the whale" and on a par with "Room on the Broom".

How good a childs book is often down to how you read it to them and how much you make it come alive. Tabby, required more effort from dad than others by Donaldson.

From a an adult perspective i felt it lacked the charm and simplicity of "Room..." or "Gruffalo". But then I'm not the important judge.
on 29 July 2015
Lovely illustrations with lots of detail - eg street scene with people chatting on mobile phones etc. Its all a bit white but that seems to be the norm for kids books in the uk sadly. The other thing that annoyed me was the robber/accident theme. Basically this lovely busker sings with the cat but one day he gets his hat full of money stolen by a robber and as he chases after him he breaks his leg and bangs his head and ends up in hospital. So the cat doesn't know where his owner has gone and goes to live somewhere else but misses his original owner and is eventually reunited.
on 7 March 2016
I clicked the 5-star review which Amazon classifies as "I love it". This isn't quite true - it is more my little boy who loves it. I have had to read this story time and time again, night after night for weeks on end. Julia Donaldson must be doing something right with how she writes her books.

The story is well written and the illustrations are very good. One thing that I like, and my little one noticed, was that characters from her other books appear in this book too and we have since noticed it in other books of hers too.

Thankfully we have now moved on to another book but it'll only be a short while until we are back with it.

The rhyming is difficult in places but you soon figure it out after a few reads.
on 10 August 2015
I bought this along with 11 other Julia Donaldson Books(All Board Books). I did a lot of research before buying and building my 15 month old daughters first library along with Van Fleet, Eric Carle, Dr Suess etc. At first it was all about pictures then sounds then role play and now its the story in 12-13 months she has grown with these books and loves anything we introduce now. Each book has a 12-14 page story which gives you abundance of opportunity to spend quality time with your little one. Reading is just one of the things you can do with these. They are illustrated so very well with vibrant colours and end to end pictures that you have so much to explore if you introduce reading really young. I have copied some of the illustrations on to a A4 sheet given my daughter to color. Just buy when it says Julia Donaldson and Axel Scheffler together on a book.