5.0 out of 5 stars Carries on the Tradition
Published on 26 Sept. 2009 by A. J. Turner

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but not Great
My family love Julia Donaldson books, and this is the first one where it has been a little bit of a disappointment. Compared to the high standards of the gruffalo books, or Room on the broom this story seems a little laboured and harder work to read.
It still has beautiful artwork and the story is sweet but the charactors just do not seem as lovable or memorable...
Published 8 months ago by Matt

5.0 out of 5 stars Carries on the Tradition, 26 Sept. 2009
A. J. Turner "Jane" (Somerset, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tabby McTat (Hardcover)
I've bought this book in advance of my boy's 5th birthday in a few weeks time. The day it was delivered I sneaked it upstairs to read it myself as I couldn't wait to see the latest Donaldson and Scheffler creation! I wasn't disappointed and no doubt my child won't be either. If you've seen any of the other books then you'll recognise this as another in their excellent tradition. It's sharp and clever and as always entertains totally.

Roll on story time!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Their best yet, 5 Aug. 2009
This review is from: Tabby McTat (Hardcover)
For many years, the duo with the Midas touch in picture books (Donaldson and Scheffler) adorn their front covers with 'from the creators of The Gruffalo' stickers, as if to proudly declare 'Yep, we did that too: it was our finest hour.' Now, though, I really feel that their next book will need to have 'from the creators of Tabby McTat' stickers instead, because they've just outdone themselves. 'Tabby McTat' is their most dazzling, fantastic creation yet.

Even reading it in silence, you can almost hear the music to which the genius rhymes play over. The story is fresh but timeless, genuinely touching and surprisingly deep. Scheffler just keeps getting better, and the city landscape is crammed with so many tiny details that, many inevitable reads in, you'll always spot something new.

'Tabby McTat' is magic for the eyes and ears. Parents be warned: you may want to read it to your kids as much they want it read to them.

The masters have outdone themselves. This is their best yet. Simply put, it's purrfect.

5.0 out of 5 stars Julia Donaldson at her best, 20 Aug. 2009
This review is from: Tabby McTat (Hardcover)
This is yet another fabulous book from Julia Donaldson and Axel Scheffler. A lovely rhymning book about a cat and his busker friend. My five year old son loves reading it. He had great fun trying to spot The Gruffalo on one of the pages. Would highly recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Puurrrfect - meets highest expectations, 8 Sept. 2009
This review is from: Tabby McTat (Hardcover)
We've owned this book for less than a week and must have read it 20 times already! My sons, aged 1 and nearly 5, have both asked for it repeatedly since it arrived. And for once, I have been happy to read the same story over and over, because it really is a pleasure for grown ups too.

The story itself is charming and engaging, the witty rhymes well written and illustrations colourful and full of interesting background details. It fully lived up to our high hopes that it would be as good as the best from these authors. This is in the same league as the Gruffalo, the Snail and the Whale, and Room on the Broom.

It might even be my overall favourite from the authors... but I'll wait until I've read it another few hundred times before making my final judgement!

4.0 out of 5 stars How did my child react?, 22 Dec. 2009
S. Glover "Mr G" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tabby McTat (Hardcover)
My child loves all of the Julia Donaldson creations and as with any 2 year old at story time, he often likes the same book repeated over and over. Tabby McTat is a firm favourite - there is loads to look at, plenty of colurs for him to spot and objects for him name - not least the the song. He does love to sing the buskers song. If I am honest I think he likes this more than the "Gruffalo's child" but not as much as a the "Snail and the whale" and on a par with "Room on the Broom".

How good a childs book is often down to how you read it to them and how much you make it come alive. Tabby, required more effort from dad than others by Donaldson.

From a an adult perspective i felt it lacked the charm and simplicity of "Room..." or "Gruffalo". But then I'm not the important judge.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Fantastic!!, 5 Feb. 2011
This review is from: Tabby McTat (Paperback)
I can't believe anyone could give this story 1 star.
It is brilliant - my 4 yr old daughter adores it, and sings along with the busker 'me you and the old guitar' song with gusto. She asks for this for her bedtime story frequently, and I'm always glad when she does as it means another opportunity for me to enjoy it too. The rhyming is great, and very clever in places. The illustrations are wonderful with a subtle link back to other stories(look out for the child clutching the gruffalo toy!)
Interestingly, one of the reviewers who awards it 1 star mentions that their child has asked for it so much that they've taken to hiding the book - because they don't like reading it!! Perhaps we should let the child be the judge? - obviously a 5 star in their eyes.
Would recommend this alongside Gruffalo, Gruffalo's Child, Smartest Giant and Room on the Broom. You won't be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kids will love this, 25 Sept. 2009
Mrs. C. Sutton "chrissie0178" (Reading, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tabby McTat (Hardcover)
My kids love this book. They try and recite the rhymes. Any small child will love this book!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful!, 13 Nov. 2009
Stewart M (Victoria, Australia) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Tabby McTat (Hardcover)
Tabby McTat is an old busker's cat.
There's nothing surprising `bout that.
But what brings the joy, the laughter, the fun,
Is the way that this story can run, run, and run.
You can find an old friend,
Coming just round the bend,
In a pusher, in the arms of a child.
This story is great and magic and fun
And at time just a little bit wild.
There are people you see on the streets every day,
as they shop, as they gossip and play.
Some parts are messy, some parts are sad,
But when you get to the ending everyone's glad.
So buy the book now, do not wait, don't delay,
Your kids will keep reading it through night and through day.
It may not be up there with the old Gruffalo
but the rhythms are still catchy, the pictures just so.
One star? That really is silly!
But if that's what you think, then your heart must be chilly.
So stop all this winging, and stop all this whining
it hard to tell stories if you have to keep rhyming.
It's great and I like it, so now I will stop.
You really should get it,
from this on line book-shop!

5.0 out of 5 stars SO Cute!, 4 Oct. 2011
Puzzle crazy (Walsall, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Tabby McTat (Paperback)
Tabby Mc Tat is a delightful book by Julia Donaldson and Axel Scheiffler, the talented people who brought is the Gruffalo, and other family favourites that have become modern day classics. When I saw this book on the shelf at the book fair, I was immediately drawn to it, because I could tell from the style of the illustrations who the authors were and I have never been disappointed by any of their books in the past. The fact that there was a cat on the cover was another big pull for me!

The story, like the others from the same stable, is all written in rhyme. This makes it really appealing to read. The story is quite a long one, and it concerns a busker, who performs in the town square with his cat. Unfortunately, the busker has an accident and ends up in hospital, which leads to the cat being taken in by new owners. When the busker returns, he is heartbroken to find his cat missing. Meanwhile, the Tabby cat is enjoying his new life, complete with wife and three kittens, but still wonders what became of his friend...

My daughter is seven, and I bought the book for her. She read it as soon as she got home and absolutely loved it, whisking it upstairs for a second read on her bed. The text was easy enough for her to read herself, though the book wpould appeal to children aged 3-8 years old.

The illustrations in the book are absolutely superb, and packed with detail. I love that in kids books, as it allows you to spot something new every time you read the book. For example, the picture of the busker in the town square is packed with many different characters, all engrossed in different activities. You can spend ages looking at the pictures with your child and discussing the people and animals in them.

The book really tugged at my emotions and I was nearly crying at the end, which makes me a complete saddo, I know. The book isn't even sad, it is happy and uplifting! Anyone with cats will absolutely adore this book.The book is a treasure, that the child will want to read again and again.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best ever you can expect, 14 July 2010
This review is from: Tabby McTat (Hardcover)
We almost read all Julia Donaldson books .The first time when I read it, I was almost in tears.We have the book for one year long. We are still reading it from time to time.My 4 and 6 years old often sing along, their favouite song: how purr fectly happy we are.
Beautiful language,best English as language.The story line is so sweet, very touching ,melting everybody's heart. I am not a good writer, but we love this book soooo much.
It is a must have, best present for any 2,3,4,5,6 years old.

Tabby McTat
Tabby McTat by Julia Donaldson (Paperback - 6 Sept. 2010)