5.0 out of 5 stars An engaging stick character's adventures told in strong rhyming text, with a Christmas twist at the end.
Stick Man is an inspired and engaging character (descended I am sure from the cave-stick-man my children and I loved in The Gruffalo's Child). A stick is universally popular with small children so a little living stick couldn't fail to appeal to them. Stick Man's adventures mirror the many things for which children use their sticks. Mistaken for an ordinary stick, Stick...
Published on 1 Sep 2008 by ELH Browning

3.0 out of 5 stars Dissapointing
This book was one of my few disappointments this year. The illustrations are okay, the story is okay, but it was not great. The story is that of a Stick man who gets chased by a dog, then thrown in a river. All he wants is to return home to his family.
Published on 3 Oct 2010 by Steven R. McEvoy

‹ Previous | 130 31 32 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Two children in my class review this book, 23 April 2010
C. Burden "2CB" (Berks UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stick Man (Paperback)
I am a teacher in Year 2 in Reading. We looked at a range of books by Julia Donaldson and enjoyed them all. We wrote book reviews and here are two from my class who chose Stick Man as their favourite.

Review by Sophie E.
This book starts in a big, snowy forest. The story is about a poor stick called Stick Man and he is a very unlucky stick. I liked it because it rhymed and it kept repeating. I liked the rhyming, but you might not. My favourite bit is when Father Christmas gets stuck up the chimney because it's funny. I think this book is good because it's got colouful illustrations. I think 4-5 year olds would enjoy it and it would make them laugh.

Review by Jack A
The story is set in the snowy, white woods and lots of other exciting places. The main character is the brown Stick Man. He is unlucky because he gets sucked by a dog and used as a sword, a boomerang, a pooh stick and a bow and arrow. There is a lot of rhyming in this book. I think the funniest bit is when Stick Man gets sucked by the spotty, brown dog! I think 4-5 year olds would like this book because the accidents are funny.

2.0 out of 5 stars The 1st Julia Donaldson, Axel Scheffler book I dont like!, 7 Nov 2008
This review is from: Stick Man (Hardcover)
I have been reading Julia Donaldson,Axel Scheffler books to my son for the past 3 years and have almost every title they have done.
I have thoroughly enjoyed reading them and he has loved listening to them - over and over and over again.
However, for me this is the first book that I find annoying to read. The 'Stick Man, Stick Man' rhyme is seriously annoying. My son still enjoys it but I don't, so I will give only two stars for the usual level of interesting background details and superb illustrations by Alex Scheffler.

For me the best Donaldson/Scheffler book is still 'Room on the Broom' - it was the first one I bought and it still gets read 3 years on. For me it is better than the Gruffalo titles too!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as the Gruffalo, 4 Sep 2010
This review is from: Stick Man (Paperback)
After loving the Gruffalo and the Gruffalo's child we bought this with high expectations. However we did not find this book half as entertaining and have actually only read it once. The story seemed a bit incoherent and a couple of times I had to go back and see if perhaps I had skiped a page (I hadn't). Perhaps it will grow on us in time but right now I would not recomend it to anyone. The pictures are beautiful though.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 24 July 2014
This review is from: Stick Man Book & CD (Audio CD)
We all love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars a lovely book, 3 Jun 2012
This review is from: Stick Man (Paperback)
I read this before christmas and found it put in front of me many times after school break ,they seem to love it a tad to much .

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but expected more from the authors, 30 May 2012
N. Chouhan (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stick Man Book & CD (Audio CD)
This book was a good read, but nothing compared to the more successful books by the same author.
The stick man is quite a funny read nevertheless, and the pictures are fantastic. The children loved the ending, and enjoyed listening to the CD.

Fair product - recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars ms donna, 5 Jun 2010
Pinkey Ramatula "donna" (london) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stick Man (Paperback)
this book is a good book to make each other happy
my son love it to much

5.0 out of 5 stars List of Julia Donaldson, 27 Feb 2009
This review is from: Stick Man (Hardcover)
Please could someone do a list of what Julia Donaldson books they consider to be her best. So favourite to least favourite.

2.0 out of 5 stars Didn't do it for me, sorry., 8 Sep 2008
V. Carlin (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stick Man (Hardcover)
One star would be churlish because there's always a lot of lovely detail in Donaldson/Scheffier books, but I really didn't like Stick Man. Too much peril, too much weirdness. It has a Christmas theme, so perhaps by Christmas my daughter and I will have warmed to it a little more, but there's too little pleasure in the book - Room on the Broom, for instance, is all rather lovely things until an exciting climax, whereas this is all rather miserable small tragedies over and over until a grim climax, and of course a happy ending. I think Mrs Stick Man was doing okay without her husband, too, she'd got presents for the kids, they were moving on, and with daddy coming back and facing the usual regular traumas, things can only get worse.

1.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Donaldson, rubbish Alison Green Books, 9 Mar 2011
This review is from: Stick Man (Paperback)
Everyone seems to love this story. We might if our book was complete but I suspect that the (cheap, Singaporean) printer economised by missing out a couple of pages in the middle of our copy. We have many other paper books by JD and they have lovely to touch, robust thick paper that the children can turn easily and the edges are soft. They are published by MacMillan and printed in Belgium. Our version of Stick Man is published by Alison Green Books and has the feeling of a CBeebies magazine about it. The paper is flimsy, the edges of the paper are sharp, the middle of the book has small rip marks after 2 readings, little fingers can crease the paper and break the fibres of the paper and there is a printing error and some pages are missing. It will go back and I will be more careful in future about who publishes the books that my children are going to read. For the same money you can have something that your children are able to read again and again without having to resort to sellotape to keep it together.

‹ Previous | 130 31 32 | Next ›

Stick Man
Stick Man by Julia Donaldson (Paperback - 7 Sep 2009)
3.85