on 25 October 2013
I loved this story narrated by the master. Well worth a read the heroine of course makes gook from a very difficult start.
on 18 January 2013
the book is awsome and i liked it very very much. i am very keen on this type of books.
on 12 May 2000
I've read many of Philip Pullman's books, I'm working my way through the Subtle Knife just now, and this is definatley one of my favourites! I became totally captured in the whole story, and became a Philip Pullman addict! Believe me, this is one you don't want to miss!
on 1 February 2016
Brilliant, well deserved reviews for Phillip Pullman
on 24 April 2016
my husband read this and said it was an OK read
on 10 October 2015
Exactly as stated thank you
on 30 January 2001
One reader recommended this book for any child between 12 and 15. Make that anyone at all between 12 and 75! As a storyteller, Pullman reduces most so-called adult best selling authors to also-rans. His late Victorian world is by turn comic, horrific, terrifying and truly tragic - but never less than exciting. His heroes are genuinely heroic, because they are vulnerable people who have to overcome fear in the pursuit of truth. What drives them is a strong moral sense: that the weak must be protected (even when, as in this book, they may be far from likeable people), that you never, ever, let down your friends, and that evil must be challenged, whatever the odds - and Philip Pullman has an unmatched ability to create a sense of evil. He is also totally unsentimental - be warned that no one in his books has a charmed life........
on 24 August 2001
Another one of Pullmans masterpieces. The tragedy of Sally finding out the truth about her family, the pleasure of her meeting Frederick and getting a lucky break together with the suspense of finding who is the 'baddie' in the story. I DEFINETLY recommend this to any Pullman fan!Another brilliant read!
on 11 May 2015
on 2 June 2004
This book is one of the best I have ever read. I was blown away by the Ruby in the Smoke, but i have been windswept by this one! As in real life, you don't appreciate how much you love someone until they are gone, and in this book, you feel empty for a week when two of the most loveable chracters are just taken out of the book. I had no idea it was coming, and I felt I had lost my own mother or father. I know this makes you want to put the book down, but it is magical how Pullman emotionally binds you to the chracters without you knowing it.
The villains are even more evil than the first book, the story is more complex and well thought out, and the chracters are developed perfectly. Sally and Frederick come to terms with their feelings for each other, after many ups and downs. That was the one aspect of the book I could predict, but the anticipation was fantastic. Sally is a great role-model, and I want to be like her, because she is so strong willed and beautiful in a man's world. I couldn't put this book down, only I wish I had, because I'm devastated now that I've finished it. Bring on the next one!