5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic new book
This book was great. It included all the charecters from his other two childrens books and told a lot more about Billie-Jean. I loved it and I hope he writes a lot more stories about Mr Mack and Rover.
Published on 12 Oct 2004 by Mrs. Morag Clark

1.0 out of 5 stars Rubbish for all the family
I read this to my 8 year old son - and we both thought it was a confusing load of tripe.
The story is supposed to be about an inventor called Mr Mack who gets put in prison whilst his wife runs round the world.
Published on 21 Mar 2006 by pikey_eagle

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic new book, 12 Oct 2004
Mrs. Morag Clark (Scotland) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic - like all the Rover stories!, 16 May 2006
I have read this and all the other "Rover" books by Roddy Doyle to my eight year old son. We had tears rolling down our faces. The humour - poos and commerical interruptions - are just right for that age. Please, Mr Doyle, write some more!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Hilarious Book, 6 April 2009
A. Hartley "evster" (dingley) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Meanwhile Adventures (Paperback)
When Mr Mack Lost his Job,he decided to become an Inventor.He got off to a bad start,He Was Arested!While Kayla is stuck in the hedge shouting to victoria her mum is on a secret mission.I enjoyed this book because it is so funny and full of excitement.It is full of little jokes and laughter.It has made me read other Roddy Doyle books,and I think it will make you too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Y3 book reviews S.E, 18 Mar 2009
This review is from: The Meanwhile Adventures (Paperback)
This book is about a dog called Rover.It's a really funny book but it's also quite strange.Because there is a chapter that's only 6 words long! Billie Jean, the mother wants to be the first to cross the world but will she be first? I think this book is 5 out of 5 and a fabulous book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful absurdist stuff, 30 Nov 2006
There are not many books that I get as much fun out as my seven year old son but this is one of them!

This is a book to appeal to the anarchist in any child - the world is mad, slugs in crash helmets vote to take over the world and nothing makes sense...all of which makes perfect sense to the average seven year old. So buy this book if your child and you enjoy absurdism, wit and word plays.

My only complaint is that book is 160 pages of quite large print and that my son has already gone through 40 pages of it this evening on his own so its only going to take another couple of days to complete. Shame!

5.0 out of 5 stars I disagree with "Rubbish for all the family" review, 31 Mar 2006
I read this to my 7 year old son and we both thought it is fantastic, like all the other Doyle's novels. In my opinion, this book can only be appreciated by people who already know "The Gigglers treatment" and are able to understand Roddy Doyle's style. The story is not a "confusing load of tripe".... but obviously it depends on how you read the book. Surely enough it doesn't "seem like it's been written by a 6 year old" and I think that if someone "couldn't wait to finish this book", they shouldn't have finished it... like I did with "the series of unexpected events"... but, again, this is just my opinion. (I'm not alone, anyway, please read also the Hardback edition reviews.)

5.0 out of 5 stars Oh what wonderful nonsense!, 31 Jan 2005
Kurt A. Johnson (Marseilles, IL USA) - See all my reviews
Oh what wonderful nonsense! Mister Mack has invented a saw that looks like a machine gun, and was arrested after taking it into a bank! Mrs. Mack (actually Billie Jean Fleetwood-Mack) cannot be reached as she is presently trying to set a record by circling the globe. Little Kayla Mack and her friend Victoria have taken off on her talking dog to track down her mother, while Robbie and Jimmy Mack have set out to burrow into prison to rescue their father. Oh, yeah, and the narrator keeps getting into arguments with the reader. Yep, it's a right mess, and a lot of fun!
This book is quite a fun little find. The author, Roddy Doyle lives in Dublin, Ireland, and has spun out a wonderful little book of nonsense, that takes the reader around the world, with his head spinning the whole time! Yep, if you have a young reader (8-10, I would recommend), then get him or her this book, and your young reader will enjoy it as much as mine did. Highly recommended!

1.0 out of 5 stars Rubbish for all the family, 21 Mar 2006
There are a number of sub-plots - a flying dog, a girl who (very annoyingly) only ever says "Who are You" but instead of coming together to make a good story it's a confused mess.
Doyle seems to be trying so hard to make a joke on every page and make the story more and more outlandish, but it seems like it's been written by a 6 year old.
We couldn't wait to finish so we can get on with a proper story.

The Meanwhile Adventures
The Meanwhile Adventures by Roddy Doyle (Paperback - 3 Sep 2007)
Used & New from: 0.01