on 23 October 2009
Edith Lorrimer is the sixteen year-old, sheltered daughter of a wealthy widow. She wants to train as a nurse, like Florence Nightingale, but her mother does not approve. Instead she attends a meeting at a workhouse where her mother is a Member of the Board of Guardians. Whilst there she meets Rosie Chubb, A girl from the workhouse, and endeavours to write a diary all about her, as Rosie cannot write her own.

At first the story is a little boring but it soon gets going as Edith gets more envolved with Rosie Chubb, teaching her and others to read and write, but still being horrified by the treatment of those in the workhouse. She see's the work that they are forced to do (I won't spoil it by telling you what) and the harsh punishments inflicted on people after the smallest crime. Meanwhile, Edith's rich and comfortable life goes on as she develops into a young woman, who will be expected to marry and become a good wife, housewife and mother.

Workhouse gives a detailed account of what went on inside a Victorian Workhouse, and a rich girls life, combining the two in an easy, enjoyable addition to the My Story Series.
on 16 May 2010
I got this book for my ten year old Grandaughter who was fascinated by the story and has already asked for more like it.
on 17 November 2009
What a good book!!!!! Very well written!!!!! It is not to long and gives you a good idea about victorian workhouses.
on 4 May 2011
My daughter (age 9) has got a few of these books now, this one is one of her favourites, It is written in diary form, a day by day account of life in the workhouse told by a rich girl who is involved in the running of it. Well written and a enjoyable story, also read and enjoyed by my 11 year daughter and myself too!
on 30 May 2011
I purchased this book for my nine year old daughter, thinking it would be a good way of throwing in a bit of education via her reading book. The book is set out in a diary format and my daughter has really enjoyed the story , gaining an insight into Victorian life. I have bought two more of this series of ' My Story ' books......having had a quick flick through, they also appear to be well written and enjoyable.
on 17 February 2013
This book is by far the best of the my story collection books I've read, but that doesn't mean I didn't like the other ones I loved them!( As you will see from my other reviews.) This book was so fascinating I've never read anything like it before. A rich young woman and her mother visit the workhouse regularly. They meet a very interesting misunderstood daredevil girl.They take her in and introduce her to a bath and hot food.
I feel like this book is they reason I am reading the rest of the collection. And I hope that other children and maybe even some teenagers take interest in this book for it is one of the most fascinating, realistic, interesting book. And I must say that I was very dismayed when the book ended!
Signed Molly Rose Mac Dermott.
on 13 April 2014
I first encountered the My Story series when I much younger and loved the books I read. I believe at the time there were only five or so published. Although these are short novels and written by very different authors (including Chris Priestly!), the historical descriptions are very vivid and the characters are easy to connect with and understand their situation, despite them being from an era we've never lived in. Now there's lots and lots of books for nearly every period of history, told from both girls and boys points of view. They're just as good as I remember and I highly recommend them!

This story is told from the point of view of Edith, who lives in the year 1871. We follow her through a very eventful year of her life, when her mother first starts taking Edith with her to visit the workhouse she's dedicated her life to. I got a very vivid image of life in the workhouse and none of the sickness, death or dire conditions were glossed over. At the start of the story Edith is a lot more vain but by the end she becomes a true spokesperson for the poor and attempts to help them live a much better life.

Edith often talks about an inmate she feels close to, a girl called Rosie Chubbs, who Edith describes as a 'wild creature'. Despite the harsh conditions and constant punishments, Rosie never lets the workhouse beat her down and battles against the Master alongside Edith and Edith's mother.

These books are somewhere between an MG and a YA, so there's usually a happy ending, which I like. I hate feeling depressed at the end of a book! It ends very well, with happy enough endings for most of the characters, but not all, sadly.
on 18 January 2016
I didn't enjoy this one so much. I did so want to learn more about Workhouses back in the day, I don't know too much except what I've read and seen from the likes of Oliver Twist and Annie. I thought I would get a much more realistic version of events, despite the fact that the "My Story" series are based on fictional characters, set in historical times to give us an in-depth version of events.

I've read a lot of books from these series, with protagonists that were much younger than Edith was in this book, who is sixteen, and yet Edith struck me as such a child in the way she writes and portrays herself and the events around her. I could not get into the story because I could not relate to the character in any way. I did not like the way it was written, and the storyline, with Rosie's involvement, was frustrating at most what with the singing and theatre stuff that was added in there.

I think if the story was told from the mother's perspective, it would've been a lot more interesting for me. Or at least, if the writing was a little more mature given that she is sixteen years old, I might have enjoyed it a little more.
on 6 July 2014
Its 1871 when a wealthy young women pays her first visit to one of the famous workhouses for the poor and is shocked with what she sees. Her diary tells of the experiences of some of the inmates and of her trying to help them, an interesting look into what was then very real for anyone who fell on hard times.
on 19 August 2009
This book was splendid. lt is so nice to read a proper account of the olden days. l have read most of the my story/diary books and have enjoyed everyone of them. Definatley recommended