5.0 out of 5 stars Full of feeling and truth
I thought this was an extremely good book. If Alice was a real person it must have been traumatizing and scary as she was only 13? London was very unlucky in 1665! I found that I couldn't get into it at first but as the pages went on it got alot better. This book is good for 9-14 year olds. I'm only 11 and I loved it.
Published on 7 April 2002

3.0 out of 5 stars Good
I chose three star because this is a great book, but not what I had hoped for. I brought this book because I am studying the plague at the moment and thought that this would be really interesting. However it didn't have nearly as much detail on the plague as I would have liked and was a tiny bit boring. Also, it rarely had anything interesting, and it was a bit annoying...
Published 3 months ago by Mrs. S. E. Brenton

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING, 2 Feb 2013
I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS BOOK FOR AGES 9-15 IT WAS A AMAZING BOOK YOU REALLY CONNECT WITH The
Characters amazing

5.0 out of 5 stars The great plague, 5 Jan 2013
I chose this rating because it was interesting realistic and I put 5 stars because it was sad but in the end it turned out fine

5.0 out of 5 stars Informative facts set in storybook fashion., 2 Jan 2013
This review is from: The Great Plague - a London Girl's Diary 1665 - 1666 (My Story) (Paperback)
Bought for my 10 and 11 year old grand-daughters this book and five similar ones have given the girls a great insight into life during the period the book refers to.

3.0 out of 5 stars Amazing read, 9 July 2012
Have bought one of the series of My Story books, initially for my children. I am now on a fourth book from the collection. This particular story is raw, vivid and touchable, I have never read about history in such an emotive way. Im so glad i found this creative, informative historical series, ive learnt so many facts i never knew before and feel history really has been brought to life. Highly recommend for young adults and adults alike.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful story., 4 May 2011
Mrs. Clare Wade (Newcastle upon tyne) - See all my reviews
I bought this book for my nine year old daughter who is really 'into' history. The book is written in diary form - a day by day account of life during the height of the black death. My daughter read the book in a couple of days and really enjoyed it, so much I read it too! And it was a good tale.

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible use of accurate language, 27 Sep 2010
I was completely blown away by how accurately the author deploys seventeenth century language, and yet avoids the general obfuscation of the unfamiliar words of the period etc.

She manages to keep short highly readable sentences in an extrenely authentic 17th century voice. Charactreisation and details also very well placed.

4.0 out of 5 stars scare cat!!?, 2 Jan 2014
purchased two ..put them in two "hotspots" ...next day pile of c**p within 2 feet of both of them .......will persevere

3.0 out of 5 stars good insight for younger readers, 15 Dec 2010
Kirsty at the Overflowing Library (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)

I teach high school history and find it hard at times to find good, accurate historical novels for a younger audience and I am now pleased to say I have found a whole series of them.

What I liked about this book is that it was very accessible for younger readers and I liked the diary style of it. I liked that it was written by a person of a sim...moreI'm going to be honest - this isn't a book I would have gone out and bought as it isn't Young Adult but I am really glad I received it.

What I liked about this book is that it was very accessible for younger readers and I liked the diary style of it. I liked that it was written by a person of a similiar age of the intended audience. I liked that it really gave a feel of the time period and looked in depth at the social impact of the plague and great fire of london on Britain. Definately a series I will be looking to get more of for school and recommending my students read

4.0 out of 5 stars the great plague, 13 Jan 2013
it wasn't what I expected but that was not the author's fault. It was quite a good read. I hoped for more local geographical information about Woolwich etc

5.0 out of 5 stars the greatiest book in history, 6 Mar 2007
i realy enjoy history at school so i found this book soooooo intresting i read it in a couple of hours i couldent put it down i found it very historical and i recemend it for everyone mabye not below 12 though. in this book Alice (the diary-writter)has to deal with the plague by herself and her dog, poppet, when her aunt dies and her father gets put into the pesthouse a great story.

kim, age 12

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The Great Plague - a London  Girl's Diary 1665 - 1666 (My Story)
The Great Plague - a London Girl's Diary 1665 - 1666 (My Story) by Pamela Oldfield (Paperback - 5 May 2008)
5.59