5.0 out of 5 stars Full of feeling and truth
I thought this was an extremely good book. If Alice was a real person it must have been traumatizing and scary as she was only 13? London was very unlucky in 1665! I found that I couldn't get into it at first but as the pages went on it got alot better. This book is good for 9-14 year olds. I'm only 11 and I loved it.
Published on 7 April 2002

3.0 out of 5 stars Amazing read
Published on 9 July 2012 by Mr. M. C. J. Harris

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Full of feeling and truth, 7 April 2002
By A Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Another good book from this series., 29 Aug. 2004
Rebecca Herman (USA) - See all my reviews
Thirteen-year-old Alice Paynton lives in the busy and crowded city of London in 1665. She lives with her father and his sister, her Aunt Nell, who has raised Alice since her mother died giving birth to her. Alice begins her diary writing of happy events, such as seeing plays at the theater. However, a dark shadow begins to fall over London as the bubonic plague spreads. Alice writes of her family's desperate struggle to survive as the disease takes over the city. This was an excellent book about a young girl's experiences during a horrifying period in history. I recommend it to all readers of the My Story series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Read, 5 Jun. 2007
Mrs. A. M. Chadwick (Lancashire, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This is the first novel I've read by Pamela Oldfield, in fact she's written a whole series called "My Story".

It's a novel set out in the way of a diary, although Alice Paynton is a fictitious character a lot of people during that time kept diaries during that time and some have been found.

The story is based on both fact and fiction, and the author has woven both extremely well to come up with an excellent piece of work. :-)

I found it interesting as the plague and the great fire were seen through the eyes of a child and not an adult. The emotions of this child come out extremely well.

I found this a very compulsive read and would love to read some more of her work. This is a great book for both adults and children who are interested in history. It's an easy read and the story pulls you a long into a world of horror during that time were many people lost their loved ones.

It's well worth the money and it's a book I will enjoy reading again. :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars the great plague, 22 Sept. 2008
A Kid's Review
Alice paynton lives with her aunt nell and father and servant maggie in the city of london in the time of the plague and the great fire. more doors are being barred and painted with red crosses each day, when her aunt is struck down by the plague and dies of the plague, she is forced to fend for herself in the ruthless city of london...

alices diary is bopth full of exictement and adventure youll will be crying or gasping.

I personally think this book is brilliant, one ofthe best my story books easy to get into, I disnt think it looked intresting but ended up getting really into it great for girls aged9 and up.

5.0 out of 5 stars My story, the great plague, 29 Sept. 2002
i absolutely loved this book. i read it in one day because it was so intriging. The words Alice Paynton used were truly great and were written in an excellent way. This book kept me on the edge of my seat at all times and i felt that i was there all long. I hate reading but this book was so good i am willing to read others in the series and my teachers and parents are happy i am finally reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars My daughter loves this series, 17 April 2009
This review is from: The Great Plague - a London Girl's Diary 1665 - 1666 (My Story) (Paperback)
My daughter's nine and really loved reading this. She's becomming interested in all aspects of History, and looks forward to getting another in the series. I've read it too and as a teacher I think they're great and very well researched and written. A brilliant follow up to all of the 'Horrible History' books.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Great Plague, 9 Sept. 2009
Purchased for my grandaughter who felt it helped with her school project. I thought it was well laid out.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent read, 29 Dec. 2013
This is a great book for around 10 years upwards up. It is fiction, but draws heavily on contemporary accounts, so its depiction of the appalling changes that, ignoring status and wealth, the plague brought to London and its environs is pretty accurate. The writer manages to get inside the mind of the young heroine, she is believable, and easy to identify with. A good read.

3.0 out of 5 stars Amazing read, 9 July 2012
Have bought one of the series of My Story books, initially for my children. I am now on a fourth book from the collection. This particular story is raw, vivid and touchable, I have never read about history in such an emotive way. Im so glad i found this creative, informative historical series, ive learnt so many facts i never knew before and feel history really has been brought to life. Highly recommend for young adults and adults alike.

5.0 out of 5 stars this book was FANTASTIC, 24 May 2008
I READ THIS BOOK BECAUSE MY TEACHER SAID I MIGHT ENJOY IT SHE WAS RIGHT IT WAS THE BEST BOOK I HAD EVER READ I READ IT ALL IN 7 HOURS AND IT WAS FANTASIC I RECOMEND THIS BOOK TO ALL

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

The Great Plague - a London  Girl's Diary 1665 - 1666 (My Story)
The Great Plague - a London Girl's Diary 1665 - 1666 (My Story) by Pamela Oldfield (Paperback - 5 May 2008)
Used & New from: £0.01