on 20 January 2005
Tilly Middleton is thirteen years old in the spring of 1553, when she begins her diary. She and her family live at the Tower of London, where her father is the physician. She describes her life at home, doing chores and helping care for her younger siblings, as well as the events of the day in England. It is a time of great turmoil, as the young king, Edward, dies, and his Catholic half-sister, Mary, becomes Queen of England. During Mary's reign, many people are kept at the tower as prisoners, including Mary's Protestant half-sister, Elizabeth.
I enjoyed this book from the My Story series a lot, as I particularly like this time period, but the book covered a long time period, and as a result, the later half contained a lot less detail than I would have liked, so I wish it were longer. However, I still recommend it to readers who enjoy historical fiction in diary format or who have an interest in this time period.
on 16 November 2014
This is the diary of young Tilly written during the 1550s, daughter to the the Tower Of London physician and winess to many of the events happening at that time. Edward has died at 15yrs and he names Lady Jane Grey as the next queen of England, Lady Jane is a protestant and not everyone approves, Mary believes she is the rightful heir and takes the throne from Jane, Mary is catholic. Queen Mary sets about executing all that appose her religion including the Lady Jane and becomes known as bloody Mary. Mary dies and leaves no heirs and Elizabeth becomes Queen, finally a Queen that accepts the right of people to worship as they wish, one of the better My Story books.
on 14 March 2016
This was an interesting story, one that turned out to be a prequel to To Kill A Queen, which I had read and reviewed earlier. I might have enjoyed it more knowing that there is a part 2, however, it did not take away from the story at all.

In this book we read about Tilly Middleton, who is thirteen years old when she begins her diary in 1553. She lives at the Tower of London with her family, and is the daughter of the tower physician. So she's seen and heard quite a lot of disturbing sights, despite her parents trying to shield her from all of it. She's also at an advantage in which she gets to hear a lot of the news that goes on with the royal family.

Tilly spends a good portion of the diary describing her life at home, the difficulties of doing chores and helping care for her younger siblings and supporting her mother who was pregnant, suffered a miscarriage and then was pregnant again. She also recounts any events that happen in England, such as the young King Edward falling sick and dying soon after.

Through Tilly's first-hand experience, we learn about Lady Jane who was on the throne for 9 days as Queen before she was imprisoned by Edward's Catholic half-sister, Mary, who becomes Queen of England. Since Lady Jane was Protestant, Queen Mary becomes suspicious of anyone not following the Catholic religion and goes about executing them. Thus begins the reign of the Bloody Mary - something I actually did not see coming as I started reading this book, as I thought it would be more focused on Queen Elizabeth. I was pleasantly surprised to say the least, and found myself immersed in how all the events took place. I liked that not once was Queen Mary referred to as Bloody Mary in the book, even though that is what she was known as later on.

To protect herself further, Queen Mary imprisons her Protestant half-sister Queen Elizabeth as well. Tilly spends a good portion of the book attempting to deliver a mysterious letter to Queen Elizabeth...and at the end we find out whether she's successful at doing so or not.
on 18 November 2011
Excellent little book,gives a great insight of Tudor England,a bit gory in places.You can almost smell the tower and the zoo.i learned quit a bit from this little book,only took me about an hour to read it.
on 4 January 2016
I think this book is very addicting for me but it is very melancholly. I think that he way jane grey dies is very sad at the age of only sixteen with nine days on the throne.

however the happy thing is that matilda gets her letter from anne boleyn to elizabeth and all is well I reccomend this book for history lovers like me!!!
on 19 May 2012
The first half of this book was detailed and vivid however I was about half-way through the book and it was still just 1554. Consquently, the second half was a bit rushed but overall, a very good book.
on 16 June 2014
I loved this book! It grabs you and It's like you have been made to read it! I couldn't put this book down and spent most of my free time on it. I finished it quickly because I enjoyed it so much. It is quite an easy book however it has loads of pages!
on 21 September 2008
Tilly middelton is daughter of the tower phision and 13 years old and ,you might have geussed lives at the tower of london in 1553 when king Edward dies the 'nine days queen' , lady jane grey is put on the thrown then excuted until the beggining of Elizabeth the first reinghs

I have to say this is one of my favorate book very well written very funny and exciting I reccomed for any fan of the my story series
on 3 September 2008
this book gives a good potrait of tudor life from the end of edwards reign to early elizabethan reign.Tilly is a entertaining character and potrays what its like to live in the tower of london as the daughter of the tower physician from
on 27 February 2014
Great historical diary entries. It is necessary to read ahead though to ensure all bits are suitable for the reader, especially if it is being used by KS2.