5.0 out of 5 stars A mum's review!
Published on 9 Sep 2002

3.0 out of 5 stars dyslexic
ordered thinking this was written in mind of dyslexics as was the book Bomb by jim eldridge but not the same,may be for an older boy!
Published 22 months ago by sue collington

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A mum's review!, 9 Sep 2002
By A Customer
This is not so much a review on the book itself but more about its effect. This book was bought by chance for my thirteen year old son. He is a very reluctant reader and finds reading and English very difficult. He has sadly only read one book in the past year. This is despite being given lots of encouragement by us all. However, this book was read by him inside a week, at every available opportunity he picked it up. He has told us all what a great book it is, how interesting he found it and how the words were put together in such a way that he could really imagine being around during that time. He has now asked me to get him another two books from the same series, because he wants to read some more. Now what book could have a better recommendation than that? Thank you to the author and the publishers.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Trenches-a good read!, 18 Feb 2003
GamerGuru (Yorkshire, England) - See all my reviews
This book while based on historical events is not portrayed as a normal history book. As it follows the character Billy Stevens, a fictional character through his experiences of WW1, serving in the British army. Basing his story on facts of the time and how he dealt with them, it really does bring home the sacrifices the men made in WW1. All in all a good read, and you dont have to like history to like this book, it is more about human endurance. BUY IT!!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Trenches book, 10 Nov 2010
Mrs. Pauline Gavin (scotland) - See all my reviews
My son who is 13 had stoped reading...this started him again! He loves this book. There aren't many Non fiction books on this subject and this is one of the best. Buy it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book for boys who love history., 26 Oct 2010
This review is from: The Trenches: A First World War Soldier, 1914-1918 (My Story) (Paperback)
I bought this for my 10 year old son who read one of the series at school. He loved this book and has now gone on to read others from the series. He's even recommended it to his friends. Great for boys who are interested in history.

5.0 out of 5 stars Let your kids live through the 1st world war!, 14 Jan 2009
My 8yr old son was gripped by this book and no amount of history lessons or educational history books could possibly bring the horrors of WW1 home to children more realistically and emotionally than this fictional diary of a First World war soldier Billy Stevens, (aged just 16 when joining up to fight for his country). I would recommend this book for 8yrs and above (depending on how emotionally mature your 8yr old is). Personally I think, however shocking, every child should know what a huge sacrifice this generation made for them and us. All the main facts and historical events of WW1 are covered in this book and your child will actually feel the atmosphere through the thoughts and feelings of Billy. Also great, (and very educational) read for adults. BUY IT!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Tearful, 1 Nov 2014
Bought for my Grandson who had become very interested in the wars. Good for him to read the story of what the soldiers went through. He was amazed and upset that so many of the soldiers were the same age as him and some even younger. I think it has made him appreciate all that he has because of people like them. In his words they really are heroes, not rap stars or footballers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 9 July 2014
Excellent item

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 2 July 2014
Enjoyed the story. Will be enjoyed by nine to eleven year olds.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brillant Book!, 27 Jan 2014
I found this book fascinating but also very realistic and a little bit tragic. History lovers will really enjoy this story.

I would recommend this book to people aged 9+.

Now I have read this book I can't wait to read the rest of his "My Story" series!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good., 5 Jan 2014
Got this book for my son to read at school and he loved it. He's requested more of the series, this an achievement for the author as previously he wasn't too keen on reading. Sounds so good I may have to read it myself.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The Trenches: A First World War Soldier, 1914-1918 (My Story)
The Trenches: A First World War Soldier, 1914-1918 (My Story) by Jim Eldridge (Paperback - 5 May 2008)