5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!
I think this book is great! It tells you what it was like for children in the war and with me being 13 years old i can relate to it. I love the description of the little things like the weather or the christmas presents. I have read The Voyage on the Great Titanic, which is also a book in this series, but i still think this is the best. I recommened it to all children!
Published on 1 Mar 2002

3.0 out of 5 stars It's ok
An ok read quite interesting parts to it but had some really boring parts as well. The beginning was quite slow
Published 11 months ago by Rebecca Jayne Donlon

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, 1 Mar 2002

5.0 out of 5 stars A moving personal diary for 9-13 year olds, 14 May 2002
By A Customer
The Blitz is a captivating story about World War II. Edie's diary tells of how her family cope with life during the Blitz and the terrible explosions. This book is very educational and helps me understand what life was like in London during this period. I think it would be very helpful for other children who are studying the war period at school as well as being very enjoyable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Blits- My story, 5 Feb 2005
By A Customer
An exellent book which makes you realise what the 2nd world war was like really. It has made me realise what people had to go through. I actually read it for a welsh project, and iv'e really got into it now. It's so good i've had to re-new it at the library at least twice so that i don't get a fine! I recommend this book for readers age 10 up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing book that gives excellent detail of the Blitz, 6 July 2006
This book was v. good, mainly because it allowed you to get inside Edie's head and see what it was like for people in the Blitz. I had always been interested in WW2 fiction, but as I didn't like the My Story series, I didn't believe that I would like this book. However, the book proved me wrong. It was well written and DEFINETELY over too quickly. Read it.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book describes how children responded to WW2, 27 July 2001
Edie Benson is a child who is careful,caring and understanding to her family around her. She is sent away after staying through most of World War 2 and suffers loss of a brother whom she dearly loves. She sticks up for her younger brother when he is bullied in a school in Wales where they are evacuated to to live with a couple who treat them so badly it is distressing. She is a very caring and helpful to her mother, sister and brother.She is a girl who can be trusted with great problems like looking after her young brother Tom when they are evacuated.This is truly a great book.

4.0 out of 5 stars July 1940 - January 1941, 21 Feb 2007
DubaiReader "MaryAnne" (Rowlands Castle, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
An excellent little account of the build-up of the war from July 1940 until January 1941. This was the time when bombs started dropping on London and the war became real for many millions of civilians.

This account is told from the point of view of Edie (Edith) Benson, who turned 12 as she wrote her diary. She sees the demolition of large parts of London by German bombs, the evacuation of many of her friends and the stress that the war causes her family. They build an air raid shelter in their garden and spend long periods of time sheltering from the bombs, food is rationed and school stops.

Suitable for quite young children, this book is an accessible way to learn about some of the human consequences of war.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for adult readers too, 16 Feb 2010
Although this book is aimed at teenage readers it's also a very worthwhile & interesting read for adults. I've read a few really good adults books about the Blitz but learnt far more from reading this book because of the way everything is described in clear detail.
Written in the form of a teenage girl's diary you really get a feel for how it would have been to live through them terrifying times in London and what the Londoners had to endure on a daily basis. Edie is a really likable character full of Cockney spirit and I really enjoyed reading about her life through the time of the Blitz.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fab, 15 Dec 2013
This is one of my favourite my story books. I have read a lot of them usually about the war.
This book is excellent if you are learning about the blitz and the war.

5.0 out of 5 stars The terror of the Blitz as experienced by a young girl., 20 April 2001
Rebecca Herman (USA) - See all my reviews
Twelve-year-old Edith, who hates her name and prefers to be called Edie, lives in London in 1940. The war is changing everyone's lives, and not for the better. Edie and her family huddle in terror in their air-raid shelter while bombs rain down from the sky. Edie and her younger brother are evacuated to Wales, but return home in despair after being treated as servants, not heeding the danger they will have to face. This book was written in the form of a diary kept by Edie in 1940 and 1941 and captured by terror of World War II and the Blitz as seen through the eyes of a young girl.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the best book i have read, 3 Mar 2002
By A Customer
I think this book is one of the best books I have ever read, because it made me really think about what life mist have been like. I think any body that likes history should read this book because it tells you alot about history. If you like reading dirays then you would love this book, because it is a diray but set in a different way.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Blitz - a Wartime Girl's Diary 1940 - 1941 (My Story)
Blitz - a Wartime Girl's Diary 1940 - 1941 (My Story) by Vince Cross (Diary - 5 May 2008)
5.24