5.0 out of 5 stars Great twist to the Battle
This one's my favourite one yet of the series. I have never read about the Battle of Britain before, not from a RAF and aircrew perspective anyway. I am ashamed to say that I have never even considered pilots who fight in battles before this, because the focus is usually always on those fighting on land.

Chris Priestley's style of writing is great. It was very...
Published on 14 Dec 2011 by S. Shamma

3.0 out of 5 stars The battle not so boring
This story is a very common one and seems like most of these Battle of Britain story's not much different from all the others but still an ok book to read
Published 11 months ago by Ron

5.0 out of 5 stars Great twist to the Battle, 14 Dec 2011
S. Shamma "Suad" (Abu Dhabi, UAE) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Battle of Britain - a Second World War Spitfire Pilot 1939 - 1941 (My Story) (Paperback)

Chris Priestley's style of writing is great. It was very amusing, very entertaining, very evocative and poignant, and most importantly...very real. He knew how to get us attached to Harry, to his family, to his friends, to Lenny especially - and he was able to successfully accomplish this in very limited space. Add to this the historical context, and the knowledge that is gained by reading this.

I found the Moby-Dick part hilarious, and the German soldier part at the end extremely depressing. And the concept of war being honourable reminded me of one of my favourite poems "Dulce et Decorum est" by Wilfred Owen during World War I. In this poem, Owen refers to the old age lie, "Dulce et decorum est, pro patria mori" - meaning, it is a sweet and fitting thing to die for one's country.

On a separate note, reading the historical section at the back of the book, they included the nationalities of aircrew involved in the Battle of Britain, and how many of them were killed throughout. I was very surprised, and proud, to note that there was one Palestinian pilot, who took part in this battle. As I am a Palestinian myself, I found that to be of extreme interest.

5.0 out of 5 stars a thrilling story, 26 Mar 2014
A good read, although fictional characters , the truth wasn't far behind, a story of the struggle that pilots had both to do their duty and to stay alive.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Personal Account, 24 Mar 2014
Anyone who is interested in the Battle of Britain will find this personal account of what it was really like will appreciate this book. Although there have been many books writtedn on this subject this is slightly different and takes the reader with the author into the cockpit.

5.0 out of 5 stars great book, 13 Jan 2014
got this for my 10 yr old daughter and she loved it, she really got into the book and its also helped her with a school project that will be coming up soon

5.0 out of 5 stars couldn't put it down, 13 Dec 2013
Absolutely amazing good with humour satire and horror all from the perspective of the Everyman brilliant book truly a great read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Felt it was a good factual account, 26 Nov 2013
Felt it was a good factual account, but was not initially aware the characters of the story were fictional. I did enjoy the book but felt it was too condensed, hence the 4 star rating.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow, 5 Nov 2013
Ok highly recommend this book to anyone who is interested in the battle of Britain and the history of ART or ww2 5 stars

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 17 July 2013
I got this book hoping to read it on holiday but I was into it so much and couldn't put it down.

I give this book a five

4.0 out of 5 stars good read, 13 Jan 2013
was put into the picture very quickly and the insight into the family was good
an easy read - most enjoyable

5.0 out of 5 stars My Story - Battle of Britain: A Second World War Spitfire Pilot, 1939-1941, 27 Jun 2012
With so many books available on this subject, it was refreshing to read one which exuded reality, cheerfulness and optimism. No "poor us, so stretched, tired and overworked in the cockpit", more a case of " I'm young, lucky to be a pilot of a wonderful aircaft defending my Country, and let's get on with the story!".... even a hint of Biggles!! Well done, Chris Priestley - great account of your involvement and beautifully put across to the reader.

Battle of Britain - a Second World War Spitfire Pilot 1939 - 1941 (My Story)
5.59