5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent new book from the My Story series., 20 April 2008
Rebecca Herman (USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pompeii - a Roman Girl's Diary AD 78 (My Story) (Paperback)
Thirteen-year-old Claudia is more fortunate than many of the people living in the Roman city of Pompeii in the year AD 78. Her father is a successful businessman who owns a bakery. As a result, the family is able to own their own home and have slaves to help them out. But Claudia is often not content with her life. She would much rather write in her diary then learn about the duties of a Roman housewife from her mother.

Besides her unhappiness at learning household tasks, Claudia also has more serious worries. The city experiences several small earthquakes, and there are omens and prophecies of doom. Claudia fears something stirs in Mount Vesuvius, which looms over Pompeii. And all she can do is wait and wonder what is to become of herself, her family and friends, and the city she has lived in her entire life.

Written in the form of Claudia's diary, this book brings to life the final year before Pompeii's destruction during the eruption of Mount Vesuvius, although at times the language seemed a bit modern for a diary written by a girl in ancient times, the book still does a good job at accurately describing both the everyday life of a middle class girl in ancient Rome and the events leading up the disaster. Readers who enjoyed other books in the My Story series are sure to enjoy this fascinating look into a place and time long gone but not forgotten.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 7 Feb 2009
A Kid's Review
Pompeii is a brilliant story and it has a lot about the real eruption of Vesuvius in August AD79. I know a lot about the eruption from other books but learnt more from this as it is told from a normal person's view. I also recommend all the other 'My Story' books and if you are a tomboy, read the Princess of EgyptPrincess of Egypt (My Story): An Egyptian Girl's Diary, 1490 BC

5.0 out of 5 stars easy to read, 2 Sep 2009
My daughter read this very quickly and loved it..it gives a real face to history, helping readers to empathise with the fictional character... A great way to raise interest in history.

5.0 out of 5 stars gripping read, 9 July 2012
For me this book has been a turning point in relating to history. Such a real, tangible storyline, I could sense the heat of Pompeii, the sounds the smells, brought to life vividly. Fantastic storyline, wonderfully interesting historical facts. This book has brought Pompeii so much to life for me I am now determined to visit one day.

5.0 out of 5 stars pompeii, 19 Feb 2012
I thought that pompeii was extremly good and it gave a interesting account of life as a roman it was so exciting when the ash came raining down i really felt as if i was there and felt so sorry for them

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 9 July 2014
Very good

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderfully written story about life in Pompeii, 8 April 2014
Bought this for my 11 year old daughter to read before our trip to Pompeii. My mom and I both read it also. Well written, interesting story about life in Pompeii and the famous Mount Vesuvius eruption. Would recommend.

4.0 out of 5 stars Really like the concept of this - but far too advanced in theme and language for my almost 8 year old brilliant reader, 27 Feb 2014
Bought this on the back of taking children to Pompei exhibition, but this is far too advanced in theme and language for my almost 8 year old despite the fact that she is a brilliant reader.

Have kept in cupboard to give to her at more appropriate time - maybe 9/10 years??

4.0 out of 5 stars xmas present, 2 Jan 2014
this was sent as a christmas present to someone who had been on holiday to pompeii this last summer ta

5.0 out of 5 stars fast delivery, neat little book, 23 Nov 2013
thanks, christmas present for friend into everything Pompeii and Herculaneum, nice alternative perspective to the more factual, non-fiction stories, hope she likes it!

Pompeii - a Roman Girl's Diary AD 78 (My Story)
Pompeii - a Roman Girl's Diary AD 78 (My Story) by Sue Reid (Paperback - 5 May 2008)