Format: Paperback|Change

on 28 April 2012
That is the only word to describe this book. It has personally changed the way I perceive the world around me. Its a completely different way of looking at the world, and goes to show that there cannot be one 'truth' in anything, rather all people look at the world the way the truth suits them, as truth is not separate from the individuals self interest. I never thought that a book I am studying at school could have such a profound impact on my life. Wonderful.
on 22 March 2013
The content of this book is excellent, especially if you are concerned with getting to the meat of Nietzsche's theories. Unfortunately the publisher (Wilder Publications) seems to have allowed multiple spelling errors and lack of punctuation, making it occasionally confusing, as the literature is somewhat dense. I would definitely recommend this work, it is extremely well thought out and has a lot of vigour as per Nietzsche's style, however, I would suggest that you get another edition. There is also little in the way of notes or preface (there is a one and a half page musing at the beginning and nothing more), so if you plan to use this for serious study, I again would suggest you try a different edition.
on 20 September 2011
I'm not the most advanced philosophy reader so perhaps that's why I didn't enjoy this book too much. Nietzsche is surely a smart man, sometimes it seems too smart for me and the wording seems (to me, at least) a little over the top for what it's trying to say. So my advice would be that if you're not the most advanced philosophy reader, there are probably more suitable books out there and maybe give this a wide birth for now. Although from what I did understand, it was very interesting.

Essentially, it's quite difficult in parts to understand if you aren't familiar with philosophy. But that's just my opinion.
on 22 October 2014
The book is fantastic, and well worth a read for anyone interested in semi-tough philosophy. The only trouble is I don't trust it to be accurately show what Nietzsche said. The main example I've found is on page 50, Aphorism 190. At the very end Nietzsche summarises Plato's Socrates. In the 2002 Cambridge University Press edition it's written in Greek and translated in a footnote as "Plato at the front, Plato at the back, Chimaera in the middle" - a witty and well-translated thought. This edition, however, just says "[Greek words inserted here]" - which I at first thought was a clever dig at Plato, but have found it's actually really sloppy (though still quite funny) editing.
on 23 September 2004
As a philosophy student it was compulsory for me to read this book, and soon after starting I realised why the subject is such a joy for me. Beyond Good and Evil is compulsive, written throughout in the acerbic prose and (necessarily) non-linear structure that characterises Nietzsche's writing. Whether or not you agree with his strong, controversial assertions, you will certainly question the foundations of your knowledge throughout. A general knowledge of philosophy is certainly helpful before reading, as the author references, invariably polemically, a good many of the philosophical canon throughout. However, the aphoristic nature of the text also allows for readers perhaps struggling with the text to skip parts without losing too much - Nietzsche's key themes are fairly evident throughout. A staggeringly iconoclastic work essential for anybody interested in philosophy, ethics or 20th century social history in general - Nietzsche's work would go on to have profound influence on Freud, Derrida and Sartre, to name just three prominent followers in the continental tradition. Unreservedly recommended.
on 20 August 2008
This is a fascinating book, a crucial theme of which is the support for a grown-up way of existance that has sadly been overshadowed by that of lesser minds. Another thread running through the book is the idea of the 'will to power' as the key to understanding our lives. Along the way, we also get opinions on the woman's relation to the kitchen; what it means to be a recluse; flashing criticism of the English, Science and academics; criticism of Kant and other philosophers; a brilliant investigation of the 'master' morality, and just about anything else you could possibly imagine. Nietzsche's use of language is masterful in its creativity, colour, allure and entertainment value. His insights are profound and always accurate (perhaps with the exception of when he is talking about music). Its almost as though he stands outside the discipline of philosophy and is more concerned with retaining his status as a fully paid-up member of the human race. As a result, one feels, he is able to see things more clearly. This really is a wonderful book.
on 9 November 2011
Have really tried with this, but twice I've got as far as page 20 and twice I've read and re-read but got lost in the rhetoric employed by either the translator or by Nietzsche himself. This is a shame as, up until chapter two, with a little active reading, a lot can be got out of the text: the humour and passion of the writer are clearly felt and I really enjoyed it.

It's also a shame that I'm unable to get further with it as his influence on much contemporary thought is huge and I really would have liked to hear him setting these foundations, while shattering pre-existing dogmas, in his own words. Unfortunately, his own words are presented in a style I cannot comprehend.
on 3 February 2013
As a non philosophy student did I understand every word of this book? - no. But as a writer I found it fascinating; a whole book on how the writer viewed the world without the framework of plot and characters to hide behind. It was very interesting to see how human nature itself doesn't really change. There were sections that could have been written today about reality television and politics.
Thought provoking and honest.
on 9 September 2012
A classic written not for the faint of heart as it shakes the very foundation of hypocrisy. It is a book that will help free minded individuals to expand their horizons and think about how one should not live by anything but the truth even when for the world outside he or she must wear their daily mask.
on 19 May 2015
I wish, I really wish the publisher had not used CAPITALS instead of italics. I Love the book but I would actually suggest getting a different version.