on 27 May 2008
One thing that really strikes me about this book is that it is useful and applicable wherever you are in your life, or education. It teaches principles that are useful to anyone that needs to remember anything - and makes them easily understandable. If you've wanted to know why it is that you can remember some, useless, things easily, but when it comes to dates of major battles (etc.) you're at a loss, then this book can help. It can also teach you how to turn those dates, facts, quotations or just about anything into things that stick in your memory. And the way it does it is not simply by showing a set of techniques (although the techniques such as "Mind Maps" some claim to have really helped their learning), but by giving you some guiding principles to show you how your mind selects and restores information. I haven't tried to put into place the technique of speed reading that occurs in the book - for my purposes reading slowly and carefully is useful. However, I think the book was worth it, even if just for the 'supercharge your memory' chapter alone.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 26 September 2009
I am embarking on my second year of my undergraduate degree course and I only wish that I had read this before I started my first year. This study skill book takes all of Buzans learning and mind mapping tecniques and compiles them into an interesting, easy to read and easy to understand handbook. It is well set out with appropriate clear diagrams and images where needed. I was particularly interested in the speed reading chapter and found that the simply explained tecniques have greatly improved my reading speed. I am yet to see if mind mapping will help me take more effective notes in lectures but I am looking forward to trying them out. I found that I understood the concept of mind mapping more clearly than reading one of Buzans earlier books(The Mind Map Book). Overall it is an excellent tool to help you to improve your study time and overall educational performance.
on 23 December 2007
This amazingly lucid and accessible little book provides the reader with several very useful, interrelated techniques--Mind Mapping, Speed Reading, and Memory Techniques--aimed at aiding the student to get better grades on exams, essays, and projects. The former technique (Mind Mapping), in my opinion, is covered in sufficient depth and is probably the most interesting and novel of the three; on the other hand, the latter two are touched upon relatively superficially--especially the section on Speed Reading is very meager. In short, this book is extremely helpful, being a manual introducing a number of simple techniques that allow one to study more effectively and efficiently; do no expect, however, an extensive academic work covering studying techniques in great detail and in a scientific fashion. Finally, although it is not mentioned in the book, it should be noted that Mind-Mapping software is available, eliminating the need to make them on paper.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 December 2011
Firstly, i must highlight that this is not a shortcut, not an easy solution to learning or revising. I would've loved to have picked this book up and learned how to revise in half the time or how to memorize vast swathes of information in no time at all. Realistically this was never going to happen.

What Buzan does offer is a way to study more effectively. Instead of reading and reading text, Buzan offers different methods of learning, storing and recalling information which is invaluable. Time is still required for this to work, drawing a useful mind map takes time, perfecting note taking takes practice and although the speed reading section offers some good tips much psychological research has indicated that the faster you read information the worse your recall of that information is.

If you're setting out on learning, whether at school, university or at any point of your life BUY THIS BOOK. You will learn some fantastic ways to make your learning more effective. It will still take time to learn things but you will learn and be able to recall the information so much better than before.
VINE VOICEon 12 March 2011
This was an impulsive purchase made when I was looking at Buzan titles in connection with Mind Mapping. Tony Buzan is definitely the consummate master of all things relating to mind mapping specifically, and whilst I knew of his passion for all matters relating to learning, I had not consciously thought of his input on study skills. And so I bought the book and read it and wow, it is very, very, good! Well I guess you'll want to know why I think it so good? Quite simply its main strength is the reduction of what can often be an overly academic subject to very user friendly terms. He has addressed the various related subjects under the banner of study skills and reduced them to simple components that can be undertaken by anyone with a modicum of perseverance. Go for it, stick with it, and get the whole idea of study reduced to an easily replicable process that will enable you to build upon the skills gained to achieve academic excellence.
The only part that marks it down to 4 stars rather than 5, is that I would have liked it to go even further and develop some of the suggested themes for the student who has undertaken the basic steps to achievement in studying their chosen subject; I know I am being a little pedantic, so don't let the dropped fifth star put you off buying the book; it really is very good, and worth every penny.
on 12 March 2009
This is an excellent introduction to basic study skills. It is easy to follow & gives tips and advice to help increase your reading speed & memorise all those revision notes!

I recommend it to students, as a different & more effective way to learn than the common style used by many students..hours pouring over books & forgetting most of it!
on 12 May 2007
The way this book is written makes it very accessible and an easy read, without losing the depth of what Mr Buzan is trying to say. There are many study books on the market. I have not read a lot of them but the ones I have seen can often be overwhelming. This one is a perfect size to provide the information required and doesn't keep you hanging on and prevent you from getting on with putting your new skills into practice. I certainly found it very useful indeed.
VINE VOICEon 6 August 2009
The Buzan Study Skills Handbook is a vital read for students. The methodology when applied, helps students plan their work through mind mapping. It introduces them to reading, and note taking, skills that take full advantage of memory recall. I encourage all my Laws students to explore the Tony Buzan methodologies for study. These skills make learning easier, while fun, and productive.
on 5 December 2012
This book will be a great investment in your future. Nobody tells you how to study and very often we end up spending hours and hours trying to understand and learn huge quantities of information. Something which is very often required of the modern day student. Tony Buzan made a big change in my life. In just one month I managed to improve my studies. My reading and understanding became more fluent, my way of organizing my studies improved way beyond what I though possible, my memory, or better said, use of my memory skyrocketed. My teachers are very proud of me now.
You can NOT AFFORD to NOT INVEST in this book. The price is just ridiculous for what it teaches you. It's probably less than you spend on beer on a Friday, so take the chance to improve and become an A-grade student now... I did. And I am very happy that I spent the little money it costs.
on 22 February 2011
I'm currently on gap year and I've found this book few months ago. If I had such a book before I think I would never be on gap year and never lost my motivation for studies.
Next september I will go back to university WITH this book and I hope it will help me to succeed this time. This book gave me motivation to pursue and not give up.
I would recommend this book to anyone who has difficulties like me.