Format: PaperbackChange

on 22 August 2012
There are quite a few "memory" books to choose from and Tony Buzan is a seriously clever person who has written a fantastic book that should be part of every school's curriculum.

I first used this book when I was studying psychology at university and used it to win loads of free drinks (as well as pass all my assignments)...

Since then I have used certain memory techniques to enhance my style of life and teach the same techniques to my clients.

I am now a specialist in addiction, weight loss, relationships and a few other things and still pick up this book from time to time because it is so useful.

Even if you already have a good memory - it can still be improved - and just learning "Smashing Scope" which is a mnemonic that helps create "memory hooks" will change your life for the better.

The book itself is easy to read, very colourful and has exercises throughout to test and help improve your recall so that you can actually begin using what you are learning from day one.

It also has the party trick type of memory stuff - that's the stuff which will earn you free drinks forever - if you want to play about with it...

This is part of a series of Tony Buzan books - take some time to learn his mind mapping stuff as well - and if you're a student, a parent or just someone who'd like to generally improve the way their brain works then this book will be money well spent.

If you've ever wondered how someone can remember a whole pack of cards - the date and name of every Prime Minister - the solar system planets (in order) then this book will actually teach how to do all of that and more.

Tony Buzan also has a website - just google him - that advances on this already advanced way of learning and is even more helpful.

I cannot emphasise how useful learning this stuff really is - buy the book and become amazed at how "clever" you can become. I wish I'd come across this style of learning earlier in my life because it makes learning new things really enjoyable and fun...
0Comment27 of 28 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 11 July 2015
Tony Buzan goes through the methods and techniques to improve one's memory for almost everything. It is entertaining, the methods work and you get some insight into how people like Derren Brown and Paul Daniels do amazing memory feats on stage although, I hasten to add, that no mention of them is made in the book - I am just assuming that their systems are similar. I should imagine that it would take a lot of effort to successfully employ the methods he writes about, but learning is never that easy, and it does not alter the fact that his methods do work. My main complaint is that much of this book is a repeat of a previous publication, "Use Your Memory" (revised addition 1989) with the addition of an extra part expanding upon the "Major system". If it was another revised addition to that book, I would have no cause for complaint - but it is not. It claims to be a completely new publication. If it is your only purchase of one of his memory books, then it is well worth the cash. However, as I have three of his books, and two of them are virtually the same, I am not risking spending several pounds on another.
on 25 February 2013
I bought this as a present but it does everything that is says it would. A lot in a relatively small book.
on 13 October 2013
I now know the planets of the solar system - helped me answer a quiz question
The techniques are helpful, but have only found it helps me for short term memory at present
Need to read more to see if it helps me with long term memory
on 19 April 2013
Excellent, fun, colourful, practical, inspireing, usefull, clear, supportive, friendly, varied. readers will learn a lot in a short time with this book.
on 17 April 2014
I enjoyed the start of the book, very interesting facts, learning solar system was good, but I thought the memory palace could be explained in a bit more detail and also the coding for the letters e.g 6 is a J, sh, soft ch and so on, just was difficult, prefer Dominic o Brien's book, you can have an amazing memory.
on 22 September 2013
I have not yet finished reading this book but from the few chapters I've read I've already learnt a few basics about how to study and improve my memory and it's working. It's certainly worth it for anyone seeking to improve their memory.
People so often get caught out in exams because they haven't learnt the stuff properly - they think they know it but they don't. Buzan's book is fantastic because it gives an overview of techniques that actually work. Basically our brains aren't very good at remembering lists of stuff. Buzan's techniques work because they unleash the power of different parts of our brain: the imagination and our visual memory. These techniques are an essential piece of the jigsaw when it comes to doing well at exams. Good luck!
on 8 July 2013
Not finished this book yet but everything so far has worked. Really wish I'd read it sooner!
Does take a little bit of time but worth it
on 20 September 2015
Another brilliant book for my collection. I have the mind mapping book from Tony Buzan too. He has a simple but effective way of explaining his methods in both books, but this one I particularly like because it covers all aspects of memory and the effectiveness in the way he writes is neither patronising nor assuming laziness, but still makes understanding how your memory works enough to make you want to be amazing. I have done some of the exercises now and going back to the start again I have bettered myself since putting his advice into practice.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse