Format: Paperback|Change

on 25 May 2009
Very impressed by this little book and accompanying CD. What is particularly good is the way pronunciation is explained in the book and all words written as we would pronounce them in English, with the stressed syllable in bold. Good range of vocabulary topics, good to have little tests at the end of the section, good to have a little grammar explained. The CD is very helpful - makes me realise how fast the language is actually spoken! It would be easier to follow the CD if the track numbers were noted in the book - especially as the CD only gives a selection from each section - it's sometimes not obvious where the examples are in the book. But overall very good - and I'll see how I manage when I go to Italy!
on 28 February 2010
Having signed up for an evening class, I bought the other BBC beginners Italian book called 'Talk Italian' first and was working through it at my own pace and found it very enjoyable. It breaks the learning into small, practical chunks. For learning Italian 'Talk Italian' is ideal. However the text book we were recommended to buy was this one: 'Get By in Italian'. To accompany a visit to Italy, 'Get By' is a useful book to take along because it has far more vocab and phrases, but if you are trying to learn Italian before you go, this is also its downfall - you can't learn all the phrases parrot-fashion with so little practice in between. The recordings on the CD are similarly speedy.
on 29 October 2012
Its all on one cd which is good and it comes with a pocket sized book to take with you on your trip if you are off to Italy. However what they are saying on the disc is not in order to the layout in the book so I found myself constantly stopping the disc and flicking through the pages to find things and be able to repeat and pronounce them correctly. At some points they were asking me to ask for, or answer things, which hadn't even been discussed so it was pretty much a flapping experience. There are better book/cds out there but it has the basics.
on 14 March 2013
In our small group of Beginner's Italian on Monday we unanimously found the combination of cd and booklet very frustrating - it is as if the designers of the individual cd and book did not liaise, or at least share an editor. I would not order another 'Get by in ....'. I expected a higher standard from the BBC.
on 1 August 2014
I suppose if you are desperate for a quick stab at the basics this would help a little as there seems to be shortage of good language tutors today but I can't honestly recommend it. It belts along at a rapid pace, never keeping to the textbook, chaotically hurling words at you with no real order and expecting you to seriously ask questions of unsuspecting Italians with absolutely no idea of what their replies might mean. It is giddily silly and unrealistic. The BBC used to produce wonderful language learning books and tapes, award winning stuff like "A Vous La France" which helped a generation of kids to develop into passable Europeans. Clearly, it has lost the bubble. I learnt more Italian with Grade 5 piano.The man's voice on it has an American accent. A nice American accent but then perhaps all the British/Italian actors were just too overworked.
on 27 August 2013
I had the older tape version and its accompanying booklet some years ago which I found excellent and useful. The newer version on CD is disappointing, and as other reviewers found, does not follow the newer booklet very well. (Did the compilers work together at all, I ask!!!??) Some of the voices speak very quickly, and they are not always repeated,, so effort has to be made to find them in the booklet to clarify the spelling and pronunciation.
The dictionary in the booklet is not extensive, and I was frustrated that I could not find fairly common words I needed when I got to Italy!! e.g. dining out... lots of menu items are not recorded at all.
Hmmmmm...... I will probably use it again, but not recommend it to friends.
on 16 April 2013
We as a group bought this copy but have found it disjointed, the text and and CD does not correspond well, we found it hard to follow
on 25 July 2013
These "Get By" books and CDs are superb. Learning a new language is daunting at the best of times. This book and CD cuts through all that. It gives you the word and how to pronounce it eg. La stazione is pronounced la statsyone. My wife and I are loving it.
on 19 February 2014
I bought this set when I was going to Italy on holiday and was doing a short course on basic Italian. It is an excellent book and cd as it helps with different scenarios and I found it extremely helpful.
on 21 February 2013
Excellent as it allows me to brush up my Italien prior to a trip to Rome. Received very quickly in good condition.