5.0 out of 5 stars The best book on Learning to learn

Published on 27 April 2000

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars The best book on Learning to learn, 17 Feb 2001
This review is from: Use Your Head (Paperback)
This book has improved my Reading speed a bit, My memory a lot, my study techniqu an amazing amount. I can using the techniques outlined in this easy to read book read faster remember more of what I read and using the simple mind mapping techniques and review techniques make the knowledge a permanent addition. I love this book and I have convinced my Wife and brother to read it. I am also impressing my colleagues at work with my ability to quickly learn and recall new technologies.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating !, 8 Dec 2001
This review is from: Use Your Head (Paperback)
I was sceptical when I flicked through this book - it looked slightly technical with pictures of the brain and manic diagrams . However, when I started the book, I couldn't put it down and read it in one sitting. The examples are inspiring and the techniques simple to use. I have since recommended this book to 4 other people who have found it extremely helpful in day to day life. I am now working my way through the rest of Buzan's books. I only wish I was taught these techniques when I was at school. Perfect for people studying or for anyone interesed in trying something new

5.0 out of 5 stars Think about it !, 28 Aug 2003
By A Customer
Having reached the dizzy heights of A levels with little application I suddenly discovered that I had no idea how to study. Academic processes in this country are based on the fallacy that studying is a natural process which can be aquired without tuition. A couple of hours with this book will convince you not only that you are capable of studying more effectively, but also with practice you can do it without angst. This is the definitive self empowerment manual - a complete toolkit for ensuring that you can utilise your own capabilities in the most effective manner.

3.0 out of 5 stars Useful but not revolutionary, 27 April 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Use Your Head Pb (Paperback)
For those who find studying, note-taking and memorising difficult, this book will undoubtedly offer many useful suggestions, and open doors to new ways of thinking and working. It is also easily digestible, and provides a good introduction to many of the techniques Buzan is associated with, such as mind-mapping and speed-reading. Where it falls down, however, is with its unremitting hyperbole and its triumphalist tone. Buzan's insistence on emphasizing on every page just how marvellous his techniques are, and just how inefficient you have been until you read this book, quickly becomes irritating. If the techniques are truly life-changing - and Buzan claims nothing less - they should speak and act for themselves; but as it stands, the book overstates its case to the point where this reader becomes deeply suspicious. Furthermore, the techniques themselves are limited. Yes, they certainly make attaining a certain level of learning easier and more efficient, and that is a fine achievement. But certain types of understanding are ignored. While Buzan pays lipservice to being aware of every aspect of your mind, I found his techniques of speed-reading, for example, to get in the way of the moral or emotional reading of a text. You may end up reading quickly and understanding the surface meaning of a text perfectly adequately, but surely it is in the daydreaming moments, upon which Buzan frowns, that you appreciate deeper or hidden meanings. Reading seems to be an end in itself for Buzan, something to be accomplished as quickly and effortlessly as possible, but there are times when reading goes far deeper than that. In these times, quicker is not necessarily better. Altogether, then, this book is useful and interesting, but it it not the revolutionary learning system it claims to be. It will certainly help many people with various aspects of studying, but like any method of learning, it has its limitations, and will suit some better than others.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read especially for a returning student!, 19 Sep 2002
J. Campbell (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Use Your Head (Paperback)
After 5 years of not studying I am returning to University. I have always battled to study and the techniques shown at school never lived up to anything. This book was a revelation. You need to really sit down and go through it in detail and belive me it helps.
Not only is it going to aid my studying but its also useful for everyday things, like general knowledge, speech making, etc.
Well recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Only works if applied!, 4 Jun 2006
Spider Monkey (UK) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This is a really great book to help you unlock your potential and use your brain more effectively. It shows you various techniques to read faster, have improved memory and order your thoughts, as well as other ideas and concepts. You can go on to read the other books in the series if so inspired, but you have all you need in this one book to make an effective start. A great book, if you take the time to apply and practise the techniques.

Feel free to check out my blog which can be found on my profile page.

2.0 out of 5 stars A summary of his other books, 24 Sep 2002
Nick Economidis (Thessaloniki Greece) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Use Your Head (Paperback)
I've bought 'Speed Reading' and 'Using your Memory' by Tony Buzan, and I found that they help quite a lot.
I was disappointed to find that this book simply summarises the content of his other books. Tony doesn't even go into much depth about any of the subjects of memory and reading.
If you have any of Buzan's books don't buy this one.
If you are new to the subject, you won't be displeased - his methods actually work.

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm living proof this system works - Five Stars, 14 Feb 2010
J. George "Break Up Specialist" (here, there and everywhere) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Use Your Head: Innovative Learning and Thinking Techniques to Fulfil Your Potential (Mind Set) (Paperback)
When I first heard of this book I was a university drop out who had FANTASTICALLY failed the second year of my degree(that would be 1993). I stressed, extremely unhappy, living at home with my parents (because I couldn't go back to uni) and unsure about my future.

I knew I wasn't stupid, but i didn't know to extract the information needed to sucessfully pass my degree. This was also coupled with the fact I was undiagnosed with dyslexia and had a real challenge putting ideas on to paper....so you can guess I had a unhill battle. One night I was listening to my local radio station and Tony Buzan was being interivewed by the DJ I was impressed and something in my gut told me 'buy this book'.

So I did. The next day. I knew I had done something to really change my academic life and it shocked me just how much.

Well, I will say this system is extremely easy to learn and best of all it's very very quick once you grasp the basics. After bit of discussion, I managed to secure a place at another university and decided to study 2 DEGREES and condense this over 2 study years. A lot of people thought I was completely mad - but I had confidence I could do so frankly I didn't care!

Mind mapping helped me with my lectures (plus I also carried a dictaphone to listen to them again later), researching and structing my essays. My essays were a couple of 2 hours to research and about 2-4 hours from 1st to final draft (depending on the number of words).

Exams which used to stress me out to the extent I could'nt think straight; became EASY and ENJOYABLE(if such a thing can be!). I could walk into any exam setting feeling quiety confident that I was going pass and frankly the examp essays would write themselves. There were incidents where I only had a day between exams to collect infromation and mind map, I was able to do this easily and remain calm despite the stress of exams.

I was able use mind mapping to take large and complex theories and explain them in simple clear english which impressed my lecturers and examiners.

I left university with a 2:1 and in 2 degrees and just missed out on 1st class degree by 4 points.

My sister also used this book and missed a 1st class degree by 1 point!!

My point is this, If can can go from FAILING a degree to to SUCCEEDING WITH TOP MARKS, then frankly there's no excuse for anyone else not to - it really is that simple. You just have to decide to be open minded and make this work for you.

I'm living proof 'it does what it says on the book jacket'.

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, 17 Oct 2006
Not bad really, alot of it is plainly obvious however many of his study ideas really help me particularly his ideas on good book study habits.

I found the mind maps to be very helpful and the memory game shocked me I can still remeber a list of 10 consecutive random items and I only spent 5 minutes memorizing them, shocking for me as I have an apalling memory.

If your unsure about study its worth the cost.

5.0 out of 5 stars Change the way you learn and work - it's that simple, 1 Oct 2000
This review is from: Use Your Head (Paperback)
Minds Maps - that's the essence of this book. If you are like me and like to dart around in your thoughts this book will show you how to make sure your thoughts are documented and rationalised. Its a fantastic tool to help you make notes and communicate. I have bought over 10 copies of this book and given them to friends and colleagues.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›