4.0 out of 5 stars Hooray for Bread
Published 14 months ago by S Riaz

3.0 out of 5 stars lovely text and idea, disappointing illustrations
After the huge hype and glowing reviews this book received on publication, I thought it was a bit disappointing. Allan Ahlberg's idea of the loaf of bread from grain to final crumb was typically (of his always brilliant books for small children) delightful, but the drawings did not lift the text as much as they should.
Published 16 months ago by F. Bulwer

4.0 out of 5 stars Hooray for Bread, 4 May 2013
S Riaz "S Riaz" (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
This review is from: Hooray for Bread (Hardcover)
All children enjoy baking and mine are no exception, so this is a story which will appeal. Although my children have loved all of Allan Ahlberg's other books, including The Pencil and The Runaway Dinner, this has slightly less text making it suitable for slightly younger children - it is ideal for 3+. The story is simple; the baker bakes a lovely fresh loaf of bread and we then find out what happened to all the slices during the day. Among other things, the bread is used for toast, sandwiches, soldiers to dip in eggs and some is fed to the ducks. The illustrations have a lovely, warm glow and this is a simple story about everyday things that children will relate to. I do agree with other reviewers that it would have been nice to have had some more detail about how the bread was made, although you do see the baker mixing the dough, but overall this is a lovely gentle story which will perhaps inspire some bread making of your own.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hooray for Bread, 21 May 2013
This review is from: Hooray for Bread (Hardcover)
My grand-daughter loves all of Allan Ahlberg's books, especially the Funny Bones series. When I pre-ordered this, I knew it would be greatly enjoyed. Received it earlier than expected (problem with first delivery- but 5*'s to Amazon for sorting this out)! Unfortunately, my grand-daughter was poorly but this book really cheered her up...GREAT STUFF!!! Thank you Allan Ahlberg and thank you Amazon.

3.0 out of 5 stars lovely text and idea, disappointing illustrations, 3 Mar 2013
F. Bulwer "Frances B." (Brussels, Belgium) - See all my reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars Bread on head, 1 April 2013
Mrs. M. Ford "Marford" (Kent, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hooray for Bread (Hardcover)
Granddaughter yet to see it but will love it because she recently made herself a crown by eating the centre of a large slice of bread!.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gret, 30 Mar 2013
This review is from: Hooray for Bread (Hardcover)
This will keep my small grandson happy for a long time. He and I bothe love bread and will enloy

3.0 out of 5 stars Underwhelmed, 6 April 2013
J. Benson - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hooray for Bread (Hardcover)
I'm trying very hard to like this book more. We love The Pencil, The Runaway Dinner and accordingly I was happy to stump up for this one, albeit with expectations attached. It's just not that good I'm afraid; the bread story starts at the dough stage, and it's not sufficiently engaging. I have no particular quibbles with the illustrations, I'd just rather read The Giant Jam Sandwich, which frankly nobody should be without and I'm bitter I never saw as a child.

Hooray for Bread
Hooray for Bread by Allan Ahlberg (Paperback - 6 Feb 2014)
5.63