5.0 out of 5 stars Lavish and Inspiring
Beowulf is the oldest surviving Old English poem. It has been retold many times, by many great authors. This is Michael Morpurgo's version. It is a triumph. It is full of grandeur and passion and high drama, breathing new life into the oldest story known to the English. My sons listened as I read, then read it alone.

Beowulf is lavishly illustrated. The...
Published on 12 Dec 2007 by Sarah Curran

2.0 out of 5 stars I am actually halfway through and will try to finish ...
I am actually halfway through and will try to finish as the book seems to be in 3 parts. My problem is that I hoped he would move further away from some of the sections where little is conveyed except characters praising and thanking one another and repeating the measure of the challenge Beowulf is going to undertake. I appreciate that Morpurgo is being faithful to the...
Published 1 month ago by Groover

5.0 out of 5 stars Lavish and Inspiring, 12 Dec 2007
This review is from: Beowulf (Hardcover)

Beowulf is lavishly illustrated. The artist, Michael Foreman is, as ever, right on the button. His vision is strong and powerful, the colours are bold and the emotions are high but the whole feel is an otherworldy one. The atmosphere is one of high drama and passion but there is nothing to threaten,the effect is inspiring.

I was surprised by the lack of authorial explanation on the source poem, this is my only gripe.

4.0 out of 5 stars great!, 16 Mar 2009
Vikki Ewen (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Beowulf (Paperback)
My son (aged 9) is looking at Beowolf at school and this is a great read. Colourful, exciting and well- written. Very good to read and be read to.

5.0 out of 5 stars Seamus Heaney for children!, 19 Oct 2013
This review is from: Beowulf (Paperback)
I had just finished reading the Seamus Heaney translation when I thought my grandson who is 10 would love this tale of the hero Beowulf. Obviously the Heaney version wasn't suitable for one so young but when I read the Morpurgo version I knew it would be just perfect for a 10 year old boy. The book is full of monsters and brave warriors without the soppy love stories though my grandson says he is OK with those as well!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 14 Jun 2010
L. Scott "Scottie" (Bedfordshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Beowulf (Paperback)
This book is a brilliant adaptation of the traditional story/poem. It is easy to follow and I'm using it with some Year 7s prior to doing role play. Michael Morpurgo has done it again!

5.0 out of 5 stars A wilderness of dragons, 17 Jun 2011
This review is from: Beowulf (Paperback)
I first bought this book to see if it could be a summer reading for my first year students - 14 year-old Italian kids. I won't know how they'll like it till September, but I must say I did. The illustrations are really fine, especially the pictures of the Death Dragon, the language is rich and tries to retain at least echoes of the original alliterative technique. It is much better than the films that have been made from the poem. I suppose for native speakers it could be good at a younger age, anyway it is surely going to be involving - the adventures, the creatures prowling the night, the great hero - epic appeals to kids, and not necessarily only boys. And who knows, some could go all the way from reading this prose version, to reading the poem in some years time - it is so beautiful. Some ( very few,slightly crazy, but happy) could even become so enthralled by this archaic world as to end up as students of Old English and read the original. Whaet!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good, 28 Jan 2013
This review is from: Beowulf (Paperback)
A beautiful edition of Beowulf, brilliant illustrations - good for children and adults alike, a very very good adaption of the story.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant author, 22 Jan 2014
This review is from: Beowulf (Paperback)
I wanted this as a teaching aid, It helped be update my knowledge of the story and will be great for a more able reader.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lavish illustrations and beautifully told, 7 Feb 2013
This review is from: Beowulf (Paperback)
I have read this book over the last week to my 5yo and 3yo sons - they absolutely loved it, and are now constantly re-enacting Beowulf scenes around the house...

The language is beautiful - accessible to children but with a real feel for the original

The illustrations are wonderful - the book looks like an object of art, would make a lovely gift.

Can't praise this enough really.

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful book, 24 Nov 2013
C. Fielden (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Beowulf (Paperback)
I have fond memories of the story of Beowulf and Michael Morpurgo has sympathetically adapted this story. The illustrations are just fantastic, this is a quality product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice Book, 26 May 2011
This review is from: Beowulf (Paperback)
This book was purchased for use in our Primary School. It is an excellent resource for staff and children to use.

Beowulf
Beowulf by Michael Morpurgo (Paperback - 3 Oct 2013)
3.83