5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic!!
I have been waiting to read trouble for a long time and I am delighted to say it didn't disappoint. Trouble is the story of Hannah and Aaron. Hannah is 15 and pregnant and Aaron is the new boy at school who pretends to be the father of her child. It was the perfect read for me for several reasons.

Firstly the voices of both Aaron and Hannah are spot on. The way...
Published 5 months ago by Kirsty at the Overflowing Library

3.0 out of 5 stars Cut short
Really good book, but the ending was so disappointing, I think there should be a sequel, as I wanted to know what the letter said, and what happened with the baby etc.
Published 6 days ago by Natasha jade lamb

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic!!, 10 Mar 2014
Kirsty at the Overflowing Library (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Trouble (Paperback)

Firstly the voices of both Aaron and Hannah are spot on. The way they think, the way chat about things with their friends captures all those thoughts and feelings of a 15 year old and it draws you completely in. As a result I was the with them from page one and had to keep reading as I needed to know more about these characters. Hannah is clever and funny and whilst she does necessarily use it in the traditional way at school you really get the feeling that she is the sort of girl you would have wanted to hang out with when you were at school. Aaron is absolutely adorable and I loved his loyalty and finding out more about his past and why he was the way he was. Not only were the two main characters spot on the whole host of secondary characters from the other kids at school to Aaron elderly friend Neville (whom I must admit I have a special soft spot for) were brilliantly well done too.

For me this book is all about friendship and the main characters learning what it is to be a good friend. As the book goes on you get to see shifts in the social groups both Hannah and Aaron associate with and it is brilliant to see them at that last stage of high school going into adulthood as they suss out which of their friends are true friends and deserve the loyalty the other can offer.

One thing I do love about this book is the way in which teenage sex is handled. It isn't judgmental and sees sex as an ordinary part of growing up and teenage life as it should be. It doesn't have a preachy message about it either although it does comment on the way in which society can look down on teenage girls who enjoy doing the deed. I also loved how one of the characters was gay but he wasn't included as a gimmick or put on a pedestal but treated normally. We need more of that in YA fiction please.

Ultimately for me the best part of the book was the relationship between Hannah and Aaron and seeing how it develops over the course of the book. I loved how they bonded but still fell out and argued like proper teenagers. I loved seeing Hannah through Aaron's eyes and I loved seeing how they supported one another through some really though situations.

All in all a fantastic read, heart warming whilst dealing frankly with serious issues in a sensitive and funny way. I, for one, will be recommending this far and wide for a long time to come

5.0 out of 5 stars I absolutely loved Hannah and Aaron, 13 Aug 2014
Elena Morris (Brighton, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Trouble (Paperback)
This review was also posted on <a href="[...]">AbsoBookingLutely</a>.

I have been looking forward to reading this book for so long, but I just can't justify buying books in either bookshelf space or money at the moment. Luckily, I work as a secondary school librarian, and this book is YA. I think you can probably guess the rest..

<!--more-->

<strong>Plot and Characters</strong>

This is another one of those plots that just carries the reader all the way through the story without letting go. I absolutely loved Hannah and Aaron, and found their voices extremely authentic. Nothing too flowery, and very teenage. The basic premise of the plot is that Hannah finds herself pregnant at 15, and Aaron (who is recovering from an awful event that we piece together chapter by chapter), who is new to her school, offers to pretend to be the father to avoid gossip. As storylines about teen pregnancy go, this is certainly original.

Hannah is a teenage girl with cripplingly low self esteem (or at least that's how I read her) who likes to know that she's wanted by boys. Her best friend encourages her in this behaviour and between them, they've pretty much pulled or slept with every boy in the group they hang out with. What I love about the writing is that the simple fact of her promiscuity is not seen as a problem. She never enters into any kind of self-hatred regarding it, and although it seems to be a problem to other people, it is never a problem with the people that are actually decent human beings.

Aaron is less defined for me. I loved his storyline but obviously, never having been a teenage boy, I didn't identify with it as much. It was interesting to hear about his life and to become attached to Neville with him and to figure out his relationship with his parents and his motivation behind helping Hannah out. In my time reading (coming on for 23 years now...) I have found that the characters that stand out for me do so for one of two reasons. Either they invoke a cathartic reaction - the character goes through something similar to what I have been through in my life or experienced emotions I can identify with, and I identify with their journey and feel like I have experienced it along with them. Those kinds of characters I do find emotionally draining, but in a good way. The second reason a character might stand out for me is because they allow me to explore experiences and emotions I have never felt and cannot identify with, in a safe environment that I can exit at any point. Aaron is the second of those types of character - I've got no idea what it is he is going through because I don't have a reference point in my own life, but I feel like I understand his situation a lot better for having read about it.

I just wanted to give a brief shout out to Gideon and Anj, who are AMAZING and I will gladly lead a chant of 'spin-off, spin-off, spin-off' at any kind of Trouble-related event.

Katie. Oh my god, Katie. I just... I want to know more about her. I want an entire novel written about her. I want to know why she is the way she is and why she holds different standards for different people and why she's so utterly desperate for attention from whoever she deems to be the most popular person in the room. Why is she such a chameleon? Honestly, the character I'm left asking the most questions about is Katie. Tell us more!! I am totally desperate to hear more of her story. Even though she is obviously meant to be the villain of the piece, I am just utterly intrigued by her.

Regarding everyone else, I LOVE the parents in this story.They are not the usual parents in YA, namely one of two things: absent, or abusive. They are just normal human beings with their own lives happening around the lives of their children. Jesus, the more I'm writing about this book the more I'm excited to read Pratt's next novel. I can't believe this is a debut, it's so excellently crafted. So yes, the parents are just great. The only time I teared up in the whole book was when Hannah's dad was chatting to Aaron (I think) and said something along the lines of 'parents will walk through fire for their children' (I would check, but I've already put the book back.) Parent-child relationships (or just parentfigure-childfigure relationships) are just guaranteed to make me cry if they're written well.

I keep on coming back to this part and adding things in but I JUST CAN'T STOP GUSHING. I absolutely love that both Hannah and Aaron learnt that other peoples' problems and grief are literally nothing to do with anyone else, and that trying to help without considering the other person rarely works, and that the best thing you can do when someone else is in trouble is just take the time to listen to what they really need. Genius.

<strong>Writing</strong>

How have I written that much already?! The voice Pratt has developed for each character is just absolutely spot on. Often, in dual narrative books, it's difficult to tell which character's perspective without actively noticing chapter headings. Although the font difference obviously helped, I could instantly tell which parts were Hannah and which were Aaron. Spot on.

There were no jarring moments, or moments that broke the fourth wall. I truly felt consumed in the world, and that was mainly due to the excellent writing and speech that really felt like how teenagers speak. Obviously, I am not a teenager, but I work in a secondary school. She did a fantastic job of weeding out all of the offensive s*** but leaving in just enough to challenge without preaching. There was no excessive swearing, it felt natural. Just basically, Pratt did an incredible job of imitating teenage speech in a way that felt real and believable, and I've read enough reviews to know that this is a view that is also echoed by Real Life Teenagers. Astounding work.

<strong>If you like... you'll like this</strong>

Adult:<em>How To Be A Woman</em> by Caitlin Moran
YA:<em>A Really Awesome Mess</em> by Trish Cook;<em>Adorkable</em> by Sarra Manning

<strong>Trigger warnings</strong>

Underage sex, potentially triggering rape-related scenario,<span style="color: #ff0000;"></span><strong><span style="color: #ff0000;">SPOILER ALERT</span>:</strong>incest, statutory rape.

4.0 out of 5 stars Everything I love about UK young adult fiction, 21 July 2014
This review is from: Trouble (Kindle Edition)
My blogger friends all know I’m not the biggest fan of contemporary, so when I find one I love, I’m telling you guys—it’s really, really good. Trouble is everything I love about UK young adult fiction. It deals with the big issues in a humorous way. It portrays teens realistically. It’s got swearing, sex and snark. Basically, I absolutely adored it

The story is told from both Hannah Shepard and Aaron Tyler. Hannah is smart, fun-loving, with a not-completely-true reputation for promiscuity. Aaron is the new kid in school, escaping his past and trying to be as normal as possible. Then Hannah finds herself pregnant and friendless and the only person who offers to help is Aaron—by pretending to be the baby’s father.

One of the best things about the book is the authenticity of the characters’ voices. Sometimes in books with alternating narrators, I can get confused about who is who, but Hannah and Aaron were so distinct, and I really enjoyed reading from both of their point of views. I loved the realistic teenage reactions, both to the funny and the heart-breaking situations. One of my favourite scenes is about a quarter of the way into the book when I read Hannah’s reaction to her realising she wants to keep her baby and it’s just genius.

Non Pratt is a genius really. It’s really difficult to write about teen pregnancy as it is generally either glossed over, or over damned. In the book, it’s simply a mistake that was made between two people and the reactions of everyone around them. It tackles the subject with humour, sensitivity and a realisation that sometimes things don’t always turn out right. It’s genuine.

Non’s also created some very charming and equally not-so-charming characters that are perfection. I loved Aaron throughout the book. I love that he was nice for the sake of being nice, he didn’t judge, he was supportive and took crap he didn’t deserve. I also loved Hannah, for being brave, vulnerable, standing up for her decisions, and generally how balanced she was about her situation. Mostly, I loved that this book was about the beginning of a wonderful friendship. When Aaron finally lets his guard down about his past to Hannah … it was just such a great moment for them both.

It was also really surprising at times. I didn’t think the book would ‘go there’, story-wise. I was heartbroken about Hannah’s family’s response to her pregnancy. I was utterly shocked when I found out who the father was. It gave me FEELS in spades. And that ending made me smile.

All in all, I highly recommend this to anybody really. I’ll be reading all of Non’s books from now on.

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant book!, 21 Mar 2014
This review is from: Trouble (Kindle Edition)
Trouble is a book that I heard a lot of buzz about before its release. I pre-ordered it, because so many of my blogging friends were really raving about it. This, of course, always makes me want to read a book. I always want to find out for myself if it’s as amazing as people say it is. I’m happy to say, in this case, Trouble really is as good as everyone is saying it is. It wasn’t quite a five star read for me, but it was a solid read, which drew me in at the first page and kept me engrossed throughout.

The story centres around Aaron and Hannah. Aaron is attending a new school, where his father teaches. He’s also hiding something that happened prior to the move of school, which is also the reason why he has had to move on. The reader doesn’t find out immediately why Aaron is running away. Then we have Hannah. Hannah is 15 and pregnant. She has an awful reputation for sleeping around. The reader can really see why she has this reputation. Hannah has safe sex with the many boys she’s been with, except for one. We’re not immediately told who the father is, but I did begin to work it out, so I wasn’t surprised when it was revealed. When Hannah finds out she’s pregnant, she feels scared and alone. She doesn’t want to tell her Mum, especially because her mother works at a family planning clinic. The only person she feels she can confide in is her grandmother.

Hannah wasn’t an easy character to warm to, but as Trouble progressed, I found myself feeling sorry for Hannah in her situation. She doesn’t have a lot of support to begin with. She loses her old friends and tries to deal with her situation alone. Aaron decides he’ll say he’s the father of the baby, to support Hannah through everything. I really liked how Aaron took it upon himself to take responsibility for Hannah, even though it was nothing to do with him. I absolutely adored Aaron and Hannah’s friendship.

I read Trouble incredibly quickly. I thought it was engaging, funny but emotional too. I really liked the way it dealt with teenage pregnancy. It’s a serious issue, so I was worried that the story would feel too bleak. It doesn’t. It’s dealt with well, but light humour is injected into the book, which I really think makes a massive difference.

4.0 out of 5 stars Charming and funny contemporary YA novel about teen pregnancy, 6 Mar 2014
This review is from: Trouble (Paperback)
15-year-old Hannah and her best friend Katie are both known at school for getting off with boys but Hannah always uses condoms, which is why she’s so surprised to discover that she’s pregnant. An argument with Katie ensures that the news goes viral among her school and it isn’t long before her classmates are trying to guess who the baby daddy is. However, although Hannah knows exactly who the father is, she doesn’t know how to tell him and doesn’t know how to handle all the judgmental speculation.

Help comes in the form of new student Aaron, who’s happy to pretend to be the father but as the two draw closer, they discover that they each have secrets and they each need to work out what really matters to them … and what they really want.

Non Pratt’s debut YA novel is a charming, funny contemporary tale that takes the well worn subject of teen pregnancy and puts a fresh, witty spin on it. It’s refreshing to read a book where the teenage girl likes sex and talks about it in empowering terms and I liked the friendship between Aaron and the grumpy pensioner Neville, particularly the way it’s not built on instant openness. The dialogue is spot on – most notably in the scenes between Katie and Hannah – and there’s a lot of humour here, particularly in Hannah’s ironic, self-deprecating voice. If I have any complaint it’s that there are a couple of places where the pacing slips and I’d have liked a firmer resolution to the storyline involving Hannah and the baby’s father. That said though, this is a strong, entertaining debut and I will definitely read her next book.

The narrative is split between Aaron and Hannah and Pratt has given them both great (but individual) voices. There’s a neat contrast between the friendship that grows between Aaron and Neville and the disintegration of Hannah’s friendship with Katie (which rang all too true) and Pratt neatly skewers the shifting dynamics and loyalties of the basketball WAG wannabes.

I did think that the pace flagged in a couple of places (notably the interplay between Hannah and the father) and I’d have liked an extra chapter to tie everything up. However it was a genuinely entertaining read, I cared about both main characters and will definitely check out Pratt’s next book.

ARC from publisher.

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING [...], 6 Mar 2014
C. A. Davoren - See all my reviews
This review is from: Trouble (Paperback)
So when I was given "Trouble" I was hesitant...But I read the summary and was curious! And I'm so glad I read it. From the first line of this book it had me hooked!

This book is funny, realistic, shocking, touching and defiantly a book British teens should read, for many reasons; a miss understood girl, a mysterious guy who isn't the "typical" one you would read in a YA. She's pregnant at 15... He's going through a hard time... They both come together in the most unlikely of relationships which becomes one of the great YAs of 2014.

Aaron's different. He's interesting. I can see why the Hannah character has a curiosity about him. Hannah is a funny brave character and I really enjoyed her. I feel the relationship between these two is so refreshing! And so enjoyable to read. I loved that it switched between two characters. It's always great hearing what each main character is thinking!

I loved the plot I think it's obviously controversial but I feel like this book needed to come out! What with all the "Teen Mom" tv shows showing it isn't glamorous being a teen mom I feel the readers out there can read this book and make light of a sticky situation. You think "oh no not another teen pregnancy book" but this one is interesting. It's very original!

I think the language used in this book isn't at all like the language I've seen in UK YA in the past. It isn't fake in terms of what older people think teenagers talk like. Non Pratt got the teenage language down to a T.

If you enjoy a lovely UK contemporary book about love, compassion and sweet moments...then this is the one for you!

5.0 out of 5 stars trouble:, 4 July 2014
This review is from: Trouble (Kindle Edition)
I really loved the book....I thought the story line was great and I loved the ending!!
I really hope that there's another book!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Absorbing, 19 Jun 2014
ML Jensen (Bath, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Trouble (Paperback)
I really enjoyed this story. I wasn't sure I would and I've been going through a reading doldrums recently, but I was hooked from the first page and read it in one (rather long) sitting. I didn't want to put it down until I'd finished.
I thought the teen voice was great, the characters convincing and the story really engaging. It was funny and heartbreaking by turns and I'd really recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars great!!, 11 Jun 2014
This review is from: Trouble (Kindle Edition)
this is a great coming of age novel, I couldn't put in down.
great fun, witty and easy to read. can't wait for the next one

5.0 out of 5 stars Honest, funny, heart-wrenching, fabulous, 10 Jun 2014
This review is from: Trouble (Paperback)
I read this in one session. I cried. I laughed. And I'm still angry.
The characterisation in Trouble is perfect. This story is more about friendship and family than crushes and love and it felt flawlessly real. I didn't guess the ending (well apart from the obvious) and have recommended to so many friends. Not just for teens.
Read it.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Trouble
Trouble by Non Pratt (Paperback - 6 Mar 2014)
5.99