5.0 out of 5 stars Our favourite book
Published on 24 July 2012 by katieisabel

3.0 out of 5 stars Child liked it
Child liked it more than I did, but that's the point I suppose! Age 4 at the outside I'd say.
Published 9 months ago by janex

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Our favourite book, 24 July 2012
This review is from: Oh No, George! (Hardcover)
My one year son has a HUGE collection of books thanks to his over enthusiastic mummy. We have all the Mog books, Meg and Mog, Mr Men, Shirley Hughes, Allan and Janet Ahlberg...but this is his favourite. By a mile. As soon as we say the title, he gets excited and as soon as it's finished, he starts crying. He would happily listen to this all day. As soon as George does something naughty and we shout out 'Oh No George' he stars laughing.
We bought this after seeing it in The Guardian's top 10 children's books. It earned its place. You and the little people in your life will not be disappointed!

5.0 out of 5 stars But I love..., 10 Jun 2013
This review is from: Oh No, George! (Paperback)
I wasn't aware of the author's previous books or its status as a Guardian favourite - I bought this book purely based on the cover illustration: such an expression of doggy guilt, so simply captured. Usually, say when buying a record or a film, this tactic can be the kiss of death but, in this instance, it paid off.

The writing style is simple and easy to follow with a few words on each page (large enough to read without my glasses when this book is inevitably thrust at my face first thing in the morning) and, if you like the cover, then the artwork inside is as equally delightful. The story itself is all about choice: George is left home alone by friend/owner Harris and our doggy protagonist is then faced with a choice on each page and we're asked "What will George Do?". Predictably enough, George chooses badly, amusingly leading us to the "Oh No, George!" refrain of the title. This being a children's book though, forgiveness isn't far away and George is given a second chance to make good and perhaps some better choices. So, a gentle step into the massive world of decision-making or a study of potential compulsive behaviour for aspiring therapists everywhere? Either way, it's a fun book and a quick read and I've found that the more you emote George's thoughts when you read it aloud, the better the story goes. My two little guys (two and five) love it equally and I'm happy to keep reading it for them.

Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars A little bit of magic, 6 May 2012
This review is from: Oh No, George! (Hardcover)
Having read A Little Bit Lost, and falling in love with the illustrations style, I didn't care about the story when I bought this for a birthday present. I think the illustrations are fantastic, I also like the story telling too. As a previous reviewer has said if you know how dogs behave and and think then you'll find a lot of familiarity in this.
Wonderfully executed.
I highly recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Oh No George, 3 May 2012
This review is from: Oh No, George! (Hardcover)
I thought first of all this would be too 'young' for my 5 year old grandaughter , but she joined in so quickly & thought it was such fun , i was pleased i bought it.

5.0 out of 5 stars love it, 30 Sep 2013
This review is from: Oh No, George! (Paperback)
What a great book, not quite as good as "a bit lost" but still well worth having, not always do the grown ups enjoy reading a book as much as the kids. With this one we do.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant read!, 17 May 2013
This review is from: Oh No, George! (Paperback)
This book is fantastic, bought for my daughter because our dog is just as naughty as George! Great bold illustrations with a funny story to set them off. My daughter loves the pictures and I'm sure when she is older this will be a story time favourite!

4.0 out of 5 stars What will George do next, 20 April 2013
This review is from: Oh No, George! (Paperback)
George is a loveable character who has a wayward streak. He can't help liking cake or chasing things, and so consequently get's into trouble. He tries to be good but does he succeed at the end? Very bright, simple illustrations which I wasn't so sure about. Shortlisted for the 2013 Greenaway medal.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful book, 8 Jan 2013
This review is from: Oh No, George! (Hardcover)
My 2-year old grand-daughter loves this book. We read it several times every time she visits - she knows every word off by heart. Very simple, but very effective.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ha ha, 2 Jun 2014
K. O'Malley - See all my reviews
This review is from: Oh No, George! (Paperback)
What a lovely book, I think I enjoyed it more than baby! This might be because the colour palette is so limited and grown ups know lots of dogs/people like George!

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes a great present, 8 May 2014
This review is from: Oh No, George! (Paperback)
I love Chris Haughton's books, and so does my two-year-old. This one makes a great present, especially for people with dogs in the family!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Oh No, George!
Oh No, George! by Chris Haughton (Paperback - 7 Mar 2013)