5.0 out of 5 stars Storytelling doesn't get any better than this
Story-telling doesn't get any better than this. I defy anyone to start "The Knife of Never Letting Go", the first book in the "Chaos Walking" trilogy, and not follow it through to the conclusion of "Monsters of Men", the third.

Ness' universe has been thought through in intricate detail, his imagining of his other world the best I have read since Tolkien forty...
Published on 27 Oct 2010 by A. W. Macfarlane

3.0 out of 5 stars The Final installment
The final book in this trilogy by Patrick Ness was a page-turner. As an English teacher, I like to try and keep up with the books my pupils are reading and this has certainly been a clear favourite this year with young adults.

I do like it, the characters are interesting, I like the fact they are flawed, it makes them much more believable and human. I like...
Published on 11 July 2011 by S J Keeler

‹ Previous | 112 13 14 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A MUST READ!, 12 Jun 2010
Absolutely Brilliant! After sooooooo many boring and predictable books FINALLY a series which sucks you into its world and never lets up the pace! Monsters of men, the last in the series is exciting and unpredictable, an explosion of a read in this one book. If you thought the knife of never letting go and the ask and the answer was good then you'll LOVE this! I could never predict what was going to happen, there were new characters introduced, twists and turns, anything could happen and it kept me riverted through out the WHOLE of the book until the end and even after the end i wanted more! Patrick Ness's characterisation is fabulous and he really explores the feelings and actions of each of the characters and most importantly he makes you care for them, they seem real as if they're there right next to you.

This is a must read! You'll never find the same book liek this one, its originality makes it all the more Brilliant!

5.0 out of 5 stars War - What is it good for?, 5 Jun 2010
debbie8355 "*" (Devon, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This has been an outstanding trilogy to read. It's one of the handful of stories I can remember where and when I read each book. It's such an epic series it will stay with you a long time. The breath and scope of the storyline is amazing. It deals with wide panaromas of space and travel to minute - literally in your head - personal conflicts and struggles with the genius idea of 'noise' laying all mens' thoughts open to the world which creates a whole lot of paranoia and action between men and women, Spackle aliens and human settlers.
Ness cleverly finds something positive in the noise (if you love Avatar you'll love this!) and turns all the preconceptions about the dangers of noise from the previous books upside down. While at the same time keeping up a level of action, suspense and fear waiting for the other settlers to arrive from space. What will they find? You are left guessing as the power shifts and turns in this breathtaking book. Lots of different fonts for the different voices, action and characters make this an easy book to read (I almost threw the first book away due to frustrations of not being able to make head or tail of it but this book is much better laid out).
I found myself forgetting what a villian President Prentiss was in this book much the way Todd gets sucked into his warped world but beyond the old struggles this book details an epic war between the infighting settlers and the Spackle. How war affects and changes the characters is amazing to read and probably will resonate with teenagers a lot more than some turgid history lessons about suffragettes and World Wars ever will.
A must read trilogy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow., 3 Jun 2010
Anna Roser - See all my reviews
Words can't describe how happy I am about this book. Remember the intensity of Knife of Never Letting Go? It's here. Remember the slow, certain build up of The Ask and the Answer? Also here. It's just mindboggling how much stuff Ness managed to fit into the book. The ending was also, as one would expect, amazing. Almost perfect. Seriously, go pick up this book. If you haven't read the first two, then go do it now.

GO.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Complete Original, 2 Jun 2010
Stephen P. King (New York City) - See all my reviews
Most readers will be here reading this because they love the first two or want to know what all the fuss is about.

The fuss is about a first-rate coming of age story in a far away world in another time, that seem all to close to home and all to close to present times. A story populated with people we love or hate, but all of them we care about and want to know what happens to them. It is about hope and despair. It's about love and loss and facing the consequences of one actions. Most importantly it is about sacrifice and bravery. In our real world that often seems to titter on self-destruction it reaffirms the truth that one person - that each of us in our own way - CAN make a difference.

Mr. Ness is a complete original. The story is unique, your heart will skip a beat every chapter. The writing is fresh, intelligent, and wise and is simply a joy to read.

5.0 out of 5 stars WOWOWOWOWOWOWOW!!!!!!!, 17 May 2010
E. Beroud "GO CULLENS!!!" (London) - See all my reviews
A M A Z I N G!!!!!!! so much better than i could have ever imagined!!
patric ness is such a genius, every time i predicted that something would happen, he twisted the plot around to reveal something else that i could never have thought of!! brilliant ending, takes a bit of time to get in the thick of the action at the beginning, but its all part of building up your suspense!!
this book is a must read!!
it will make you cry, laugh, swear, shout in frustration and whoop with joy, and if you dont, you cant have read the first two books!! the knife of never letting go, and the ask and the answer, which are also very good!!
READ!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING!, 16 July 2014
I literally have nothing to say! If you do not read this series then you are not complete in anyway, shape or form. You have to read this series, NOW!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best third volume of a trilogy since Return of the King, 1 July 2010
Andromeda Descendent (Tarn Vedra) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
When I received The Knife of Never Letting Go: bk. 1 (Chaos Walking) as a trial copy, I loved the book so much that it genuinely infuriated me when it came to an end without resolution. Having finished the third and final book, which really does come to a resolution, I find myself almost depressed at the realisation that there won't be more. This third volume is just as riveting, powerful and uncompromising as the other two. Patrick Ness has genuinely created a classic series that deserves the wider recognition given to such authors as Philip Pullman - and in doing so Patrick has reaffirmed the value of the book as a medium for telling stories; you could try to convey the concept of Noise on film but the book will always be the best way that this unique story can and should be told.

It is rare for an author to have so many characters who are so extremely well conceived and realised that you genuinely want to know everything you can about them. Todd, Viola, David Prentiss, Mistress Coyle and 1017 are all central to this third volume, in which the President's actions have led the settlers old and new of New World into all out war with the native Spackle, who turn out to be a much greater threat as an attacking force than most of the humans had previously believed. The plot should not be spoiled by giving out any detail further to this, so instead let me say that, as was the case with the second volume (The Ask and the Answer (Chaos Walking)), one of the joys of this third book is how you the reader are always trying to get into President Prentiss's head and understand his motivation, but this time around you also get to learn a lot more of the Spackle view of the world - as joining Todd and Viola in the narrative is the Spackle known to Todd as 1017.

Again, I can't give anything away about the ending, but will say to you that it is one of the best-written endings I have read in my life. I read the last several pages four times in a row before I put the book down.

I am so grateful to Amazon Vine and the publisher for sending me the first volume in hardcover back in 2008, for it led to me buying the other two volumes in hardcover and I now having a matching set of what has to be the best designed book and plastic dust jacket combination ever to have seen a bookshelf. If you can get your hands on all three in hardcover, I strongly recommend you do so.

5.0 out of 5 stars The End, 5 May 2010
So we come to the end of the Chaos Walking Saga. What an excellent journey it has been. Odds are that if you are looking at this book, you have read the other two. If not, may I suggest that you look at "The knife of never letting go" where we are introduced to our two narrators Todd and Viola. I think most of the other reviewers have said it all, and in a better way than I could. Suffice to say that each chapter ends on a cliff hanger and you just have to read the next part to find out what happens. Characters are well defined, no one is totally good or bad. Everyone is a mixture of hero and villain. All make mistakes and redeem themselves. Just like real life.
Suffice to say, I reckon this is one of the best books I have read in ages, and I heartily recommend that you give this series your serious cosideration.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 15 Aug 2014
Very good book and really well written. Will definitely buy more by the same author.

3.0 out of 5 stars A book too many, 10 Feb 2012
I really enjoyed the first 2 books in this trilogy but found this book was just one too many.

There was just too much of Todd and Viola being apart and trying to get back together - I got bored with them shouting 'Todd' or 'Viola'. It didn't feel like the same sense of loss as in the second book.

Todd's mum's diary - this was built up in the first couple of books to almost being the key to everything. It just fizzled out in this book.

Also, the Spackle had been so mistreated and downtrodden in the other books (and beaten in the war) and suddenly in this book they are a major force to be reckoned with.

And the war just went on forever in this book....

This clearly would have worked better as two books and it felt like this one was just padding. It didn't resolve anything really or even answer any of the questions.

‹ Previous | 112 13 14 | Next ›

Monsters of Men (Chaos Walking)
Monsters of Men (Chaos Walking) by Patrick Ness (Paperback - 2 May 2013)
6.29