5.0 out of 5 stars Genuinely terrifying!, 22 April 2014
This review is from: This Is Not My Hat (Hardcover)
I, an adult, found this soooo scary. I feel anxious just thinking of it. It's wonderful, and great, and unusual. I'm sure my son doesn't mind, or notice, the horror as he loves it. I can't be the only one how found this haunting! Still love it and have already recommended to many people. Personally I prefer I Want My Hat Back which is just as unusual and awesome but less scary and more humorous. Though maybe that's just me as my dad read both and loved This Is Not My Hat more. Either way both are great and both need to be read whether you have children or not.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 25 Jan 2014
This review is from: This Is Not My Hat (Hardcover)
Love the illustrations and the moral behind the story. Good quality book and makes a change from the childish and garish designs most children's books provide today

5.0 out of 5 stars Intriguing end together with theme of taking something that is not yours makes it different and recommended, 27 Dec 2013
Denis Vukosav - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
"This is Not My Hat" by Jon Klassen is an unusual story for children about the hat, big and small fishes, innovative book from imaginative writer for children.

The story takes place in the bottom of the sea where small fish will steal a hat from a large one. Being overconfident that large fish won't notice what happened, young reader will see that big fish is following small one across the seaweed bushes.
On the last few pages small fish will be gone and, while large fish will be again wearing the hat, what happened to small one is left for each child to speculate...

Although "This is Not My Hat" has simple story, its unusual and intriguing end together with its theme of taking something that is not yours makes it different from the most books written for children.
And due to these reasons, this book allows parents to read it with their children and from an early age instill the right value that's not good to take other people's things, no matter how much they seem small or their absence unnoticeable for the owner - otherwise some consequences will certainly happen.
It's great that the author avoided showing any violent scenes; instead he left to the imagination of parents and children to speculate what happened to the little naughty fish.

Therefore, this educational, beautifully written and nicely illustrated story can be recommended to every young reader - except that it will entertain children, it will enable them to learn an important life lesson.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Read, 14 Dec 2013
This review is from: This Is Not My Hat (Hardcover)
Already had brought " I want my hat back" by Jon Klassen, fantastic dark humour book, with really nice illustrations

5.0 out of 5 stars Hats off to Jon Klassen!, 24 Nov 2013
This review is from: This Is Not My Hat (Hardcover)
Hats off to Jon Klassen, I think he pulled off a great book. Because it's not your usual kind of children's story and the illustrations beautifully complement the action.

We follow little fish swimming his way into hiding after quite shamelessly stealing a hat belonging to a really BIG fish. The build-up of the most amusing visual and textual tension is SO not easy to do. Where is little fish going after stealing the hat?

"I am going where the plants grow big and tall and close together. It is very hard to see in there. Nobody will ever find me. There is someone who saw me already." (A crab.) "But he said he wouldn't tell anyone which way I went." (The snitch!) "So I am not worried about that."

Right!

In the meantime, big fish has opened an eye. He rolls it upward. Uh-oh. He seems to know exactly where to go and the dense tangle of plants is no obstacle.

"Nobody will ever find me," says little fish.

Uhuh.

What happens to little fish is left to the reader's imagination. And I like that. And the darkness of this watery world adds to the suspense of this very appealing book. I truly loved it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Watch the eyes!, 5 Nov 2013
This review is from: This Is Not My Hat (Hardcover)
I adore this. So subtle. It really gives the reader space to draw their own conclusions. Just little changes like an eye movement or a change in direction say so much and everything makes me smile. The humour is dry and restrained. Attractive illustration too, in muted colours that work without looking too arty. This was recommended to me because a child adored it. A child with great taste!

4.0 out of 5 stars Kinder Gentler sequel, 7 Oct 2013
This review is from: This Is Not My Hat (Hardcover)
Perhaps Klassen read my review of Where is My Hat (no, just kidding) but he has taken the same story idea, executed it perfectly, and given it an ambiguous ending that allows kids to create their own ending. And kids will give it an ending appropriate to their age level. My son (age 5) decided the little fish was still hiding. My 7-year old decided he was a goner. Either way, the illustrations are just right and deserved the Caldecott.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 7 Oct 2013
This review is from: This Is Not My Hat (Hardcover)
A funny book for kids and adults alike. The pictures are simple but tell a story all by themselves. Brilliant!

4.0 out of 5 stars first bears now fish, 24 Sep 2013
This review is from: This Is Not My Hat (Hardcover)
got this on the back of reading i love my hat and am equally impressed with TINMY - OH AND MY SON LIKES IT TOO!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent., 19 Sep 2013
Clearly this book is for me, and not for my daughter. However so are many other things 'she' owns.

At least as good at the prequel, but you should buy that too, as it's even funnier.

This Is Not My Hat
This Is Not My Hat by Jon Klassen (Hardcover - 9 Oct 2012)
8.39